Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Birmingham, AL vs. Greenville, SC
Birmingham 46 41.07%
Greenville 66 58.93%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:23 AM

187 posts, read 214,389 times

Advertisements

Please no long posts.. Just bullets that are valid if you want to say something..

Which city would you prefer? Which is best for a normal 20-40 yr old who enjoys entertainment, good food, solid choice of men or women if you're single, and just overall coolness...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 08:47 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Greenville is the better more modern city IMO. More entertainment and just better overall QOL.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:26 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times
I like Birmingham better. It has more grit to it and nicer people. Greenville is sterile and has more traffic. Birmingham is doing some great things in its city as is Greenville but Birmingham, in my opinion, just stands out more.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
I would say 280 in Birmingham has some of the worst traffic that I ever seen on a commercial road in this country. I don't think traffic in Greenville is at that level. Greenville's MSA and CSA population is more spread out.

Greenville's downtown is more compact and you can walk to all the main attractions. It has a 30 foot drop waterfall right on Main Street with a massive suspension pedestrian bridge right over it and a nice park, Falls Park, around the waterfall. Falls Park was rated a top 10 park in the country on Trip Advisor. Main Street has large hardwoods and wide sidewalks , and the restaurants have a lot of outside seating and buildings that are open to the outside to include rooftop seating. There are a lot of festivals, live music, and farmer markets on Main Street all the time. Another thing that I like about it is it doesn't have a ton of tall corporate buildings which gives it more of a college town vibe.

I recommend checking out the two cities on Google maps street view. Most people will prefer one or the other based on the look of each. I think people can have a good quality of life in either one.

Another good thing about Greenville is it is in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains.

This is a good website for info about Greenville. https://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/

Last edited by ClemVegas; 09-21-2017 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-21-2017, 12:29 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,231,492 times
I've never been to Greenville, and I live in Birmingham, so I'll abstain from voting. Honestly have never given much consideration to Greenville before... sounds like I need to visit!

Old 09-21-2017, 12:34 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Birmingham because it's bigger.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:48 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Birmingham because of more suburbs/larger metro, larger youth culture, and density. I’ve heard some things about Greenville though...

Old 09-21-2017, 01:34 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Better downtown: Greenville, but Birmingham is on the upswing.
Better neighborhoods and suburbs: Birmingham.
Better location: Greenville.
Better access to recreation and natural beauty: Greenville.
Better future: Greenville.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:06 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'd take Greenville. Rolling towards 30 in two years and forecasting environments that I want to read my children in, I realize it's if increasing importance to me to live somewhere with strong black culture without strong black crime. Greenville may win for me on that alone, as well as I find it's location near Charlotte, and in South Carolina over Alabama, to be a plus...

It's a smaller metro than I typically like, but I've lived in smaller cities and it's not too small. As a matter of fact, I may need to ask my lady about Greenville since she's hellbent on moving to South Carolina one day lol...

Old 09-21-2017, 02:30 PM

93,263 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'd take Greenville. Rolling towards 30 in two years and forecasting environments that I want to read my children in, I realize it's if increasing importance to me to live somewhere with strong black culture without strong black crime. Greenville may win for me on that alone, as well as I find it's location near Charlotte, and in South Carolina over Alabama, to be a plus...

It's a smaller metro than I typically like, but I've lived in smaller cities and it's not too small. As a matter of fact, I may need to ask my lady about Greenville since she's hellbent on moving to South Carolina one day lol...
In the Birmingham area, perhaps places like Pleasant Grove and Forestdale may fit what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City