Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 02:39 PM

817 posts, read 626,876 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas seems to be viewed favorably by all races, blacks, asians, hispanics, whites all live together in that city with no issues, it is the most racially integrated city in America and has a huge mixed race population. I never hear anyone speak badly of this city from a racial perspective.

Orange county in Southern California is viewed favorably by asians, whites, and hispanics. Viewed unfavorably by blacks for some reason.

Portland/Seattle viewed favorably by whites only it seems. Other races seem to view it unfavorably maybe due to a lack of diversity and the PNW white culture that whitewashes minorities.

Miami seems to be viewed favorably by foreigners from Latin America and Eastern Europe, but viewed unfavorably by Americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 02:43 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
But wouldn’t a Black person say Detroit is more popular than Denver, Seattle, or Boston which are known to be less Black culturally? Whether that reputation is deserved or not, it exists.

It begs the question what do people hold most valuable?
Idk I don't actually know people that like Detroit. Only on here. I have no idea.. like no one visits Detroit do they?. But I have heard people in the black media say it's cool but honestly just seems like that means black.

Can't imagine what I would go to Detroit for but that's me. Seems like a depressing to look at my people's living conditions, and cold/flat/dull. But if you want to be surrounded by black people for comfort then its the big city to go to.

Idk if Black people really think Detroit is more popular overall than Seattle or Boston due to their social circles. Maybe, idk.

Old 05-19-2022, 02:50 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Orange county in Southern California is viewed favorably by asians, whites, and hispanics. Viewed unfavorably by blacks for some reason.
Thats honestly quite easy to figure out IMO though. There are almost no black people living in Orange County and its not a place where many visit.

Old 05-19-2022, 02:54 PM

496 posts, read 351,171 times
Asians love NYC too

Old 05-19-2022, 02:55 PM

496 posts, read 351,171 times
SF is viewed unfavorably by the Black community

Old 05-19-2022, 02:56 PM

youre right about SF and NYC I will update my lil list..

Old 05-19-2022, 02:56 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This is what I've seen and heard. White people seem to largely view Houston as high crime, tons of illegal immigrants, uneducated/ghetto, blue-collar, boring, tacky, and too hot. I see it on here and have heard it IRL.
I don’t think this is the case in my circles. I think perception of Houston is pretty middle of the road. A kind of boring, big sunbelt city that’s no one is too interested in visiting but everyone has one friend or relative who moved there and likes it.

My older relatives all hate on Chicago and Baltimore (surprise, surprise). Not sure what cities they actually like. Younger white acquaintances seem to like Chicago, Seattle, Austin, Dallas, and DC. Haven’t heard to much hate except for “my conservative hometown” in a hand-wavy sense.

Old 05-19-2022, 02:58 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
Asians love NYC too
and the NJ suburbs. Asians might may be the only group that as a whole holds a favorable view of NJ.

I would say Chicago is a city that a large segment of the population regardless of race views unfavorably, for political reasons and due to social media.

EDIT: Baltimore is another city looked at quite unfavorably by white Americans as well.

Old 05-19-2022, 02:59 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I don’t think this is the case in my circles. I think perception of Houston is pretty middle of the road. A kind of boring, big sunbelt city that’s no one is too interested in visiting but everyone has one friend or relative who moved there and likes it.

My older relatives all hate on Chicago and Baltimore (surprise, surprise). Not sure what cities they actually like. Younger white acquaintances seem to like Chicago, Seattle, Austin, Dallas, and DC. Haven’t heard to much hate except for “my conservative hometown” in a hand-wavy sense.
Just so were clear, are you African American? I always assumed because of your screen name you were South Asian.

Since its a determination by race, its relevant.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:01 PM

Boston is unique is the only white favorable city on my list that was majority-non white 20+ years ago. It's also at least 3x more black than the other Black unfavorable cities.

Indeed, Bostons school-age 5-18 population is 2x more black residents (34%) than white residents (15.9%). So while blacks are the predominant group growing up in the city of Boston and have been at least since the 1990s (if not the 1980s_ it has that perception. Whites love it but generally won't raise their kids in the city itself the way they would in Seattle, Austin, or Portland.

Boston and its metro also appeal heavily to Black West Indians and Africans- just not Black Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City