Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2022, 07:22 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
All of the towers constructed since 2010 over 500 feet in Houston have been in the core of the city too, the western half of the Inner Loop.
I keep hearing western half of the 610 loop but shouldn't that be the Southwest quadrant of the loop. I can't think of any towers north of I-10. So it's more like 25 sq miles.

Even in those boundaries, West of Main and South of Bellaire doesn't have any. That little box formed between 69, 10 and Post Oak contains probably 85-90% of Houston's towers in an area that's like 3 miles by about 6miles.

The towers in Westchase and The EC are plentiful but not many are very tall. Same with the scattered ones such as Greenspoint. Those areas mainly max out at 20-30 floors. The 150M plus guys are all between TMC, Downtown and Uptown. Anytime I hear that 600 sq mile comment I immediately think here is another one who has never been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 10:11 PM

830 posts, read 451,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I keep hearing western half of the 610 loop but shouldn't that be the Southwest quadrant of the loop. I can't think of any towers north of I-10. So it's more like 25 sq miles.

Even in those boundaries, West of Main and South of Bellaire doesn't have any. That little box formed between 69, 10 and Post Oak contains probably 85-90% of Houston's towers in an area that's like 3 miles by about 6miles.

The towers in Westchase and The EC are plentiful but not many are very tall. Same with the scattered ones such as Greenspoint. Those areas mainly max out at 20-30 floors. The 150M plus guys are all between TMC, Downtown and Uptown. Anytime I hear that 600 sq mile comment I immediately think here is another one who has never been.
People are just uninformed on Houston in general and make assumptions. It doesn’t help when people try to pass off statements that are objectively false as a fact such as the comment below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree. Atlanta's collective skyline is still larger when you take these into account.

Old 10-26-2022, 06:48 AM

719 posts, read 493,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Does it though?
It’s a good-looking skyline (nice buildings, good balance) but it doesn’t look like a big city at all. It lacks the texture and density of a city of 3 million (2.5 but whatever). It’s small but tall.
There is plenty of density and texture for a city of 3 million...nor really small at all

Old 10-26-2022, 10:47 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
There is plenty of density and texture for a city of 3 million...nor really small at all
Compared to Cincinnati, Denver, Kansas City, Pittsburgh etc it is completely lacking in density and texture.

Old 10-26-2022, 11:05 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Underwhelming/disappointing: Phoenix, San Jose, Jacksonville, Fort Worth, Indianapolis

Impressive/surprising: Pittsburgh, Nashville, Richmond

Old 10-26-2022, 12:20 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,166,646 times
Birmingham.

https://cchikes.com/wp-content/uploa...3-1200x800.jpg

Old 10-26-2022, 12:32 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
I’d assume he’s referring to the high/mid-rises infill that give urban cores their breadth/bulk and urban canyons in which case, yes Charlotte falls off surprisingly quickly relative to its more urban peers.

Old 10-26-2022, 01:56 PM

40 posts, read 27,248 times
Quote:

No there's not.

Underwhelming: Phoenix and San Jose immediately come to mind

Impressive: Pittsburgh

Old 10-26-2022, 07:28 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Vancouver's skyline is aesthetically very boring, though it has its moments with a large collection of residential towers. More than most North American cities. They extend well beyond downtown out to the suburbs near the Skytrain stations. The tallest building in Western Canada (850 feet) will be constructed in Burnaby near one of the Skytrain TOD developments. (https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/pinn...couver-burnaby).
The problem with Vancouver's skyline is that the development is mostly of the same height so there is not a lot of variation to its height. It also lacks some good core office buildings that just make a bigger impact to a core skyline than just a sea of similar height glass condo's. This is why I prefer Seattle's skyline, even though Vancouver probably wins the density battle.

That all said, the density is impressive and that dense collection of condo's means lots of people living there so it has great ped vibrancy. A lot of people actually live in the core and surrounding core areas, so it isn't just a place to commute in to work and then becomes a ghost town after 5.

Last edited by fusion2; 10-26-2022 at 07:57 PM..

Old 10-26-2022, 07:40 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Surprised Huntsville (AL) hasn't been mentioned in the "underwhelming" category. It is now Alabama's largest city, but the tallest building downtown is 12 stories / 200 feet.
But Birmingham is still a lot larger as a metro and urban area (2X Huntsville in terms of metro) and the population of the metro a city anchors, always plays a big role in how big the core city's skyline is going to be.

That said, it's still a bit underwhelming for a city with a metro of half million though i've heard some good things about what's going on down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City