Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 10:26 AM

16,076 posts, read 10,735,467 times

Advertisements

I really have no idea why some place needs 8-10 more skyscrapers simply for show when they would likely be mostly empty. In some places the geology dictates the height of buildings. It is too costly to sink a foundation into thousands of feet of sand or into marshy land. I live in a city with an impressive mountain landscape that is cited as a greater advantage than just another tall building pathetically vying for attention. The constant infatuation with skyscrapers is silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 10:29 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Impressive:
NYC
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Seattle
Harrisburg - packs some punch for a city <50,000 popn.
New Brunswick
Tulsa
Birmingham - always thought it was a nice one for a city its size

Underwhelming
Norfolk - for the closest thing to an "urban center" of a metro of nearly 2 million, it's not much!
Phoenix
Dallas - looked interesting in pics, but in person I felt there wasn't very much to it
Raleigh

Old 06-01-2022, 11:01 AM

457 posts, read 349,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Underwhelming
Norfolk - for the closest thing to an "urban center" of a metro of nearly 2 million, it's not much!
Over my years of lurking on here I’ve seen several folks argue that VA Beach with its (in my opinion) inorganic city center is now the true core of Hampton Roads. Personally I would give it a skyline pass because I consider it a suburban node of Norfolk. Should one consider it the actual core, I would then argue it is a better example of underwhelming compared to Norfolk.

On another note I’ve read a couple other posters excuse Colorado Springs as being in the shadow of Denver for it’s small skyline. CO Springs is a typical mountain west city IMO. They all exploded with economic and population growth during the age of the automobile, and tend to share the same squat, and boxy buildings in their core. I don’t think it has anything to do with Denver sucking all the height/density in a vacuum. I think it’s just a cultural predisposition of the population bases. San Jose, Fresno, Tucson, Albuquerque, Boise, El Paso, all share the same underwhelming qualities in their skylines compared to their metro population peers. Phoenix is probably the most glaring example of this dysmorphic size to skyline ratio. One might argue Sacramento lags its peers as well. That’s not to say they aren’t great at street level. They just grew up after the organic urbanity of their legacy counterparts.

Id consider both Denver and SLC exemptions to this.

Last edited by Landolakes90; 06-01-2022 at 11:26 AM..

Old 06-01-2022, 11:08 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,445 times
I was under the impression that Phoenix had airport-imposed height restrictions which limit the height of high-rise buildings. But even then it's a dearth of density that kills it in the rankings, as Honolulu (which is approx 1/5th the size of PHX) absolutely crushes Phoenix with its density (even though both cities' tallest buildings are comparable in height). My guess is that for Phoenix, it's simply cheaper to build outward rather than upward while land in Hawaii is crazy-expensive.

Omaha, Des Moines and Little Rock all have strong skylines for their size. Wichita, Albuquerque and Boise, not as much, but from what I gather Boise is trying to up its game.

Old 06-01-2022, 11:10 AM

212 posts, read 230,386 times
Some smaller cities that I think have impressive skylines for their size:

Waukegan, IL

Jackson, MI

Battle Creek, MI

These places all look like they have 40,000 or 50,000 more people than they do

Old 06-01-2022, 11:18 AM

509 posts, read 433,062 times
10 years ago I would have said Milwaukee was underwhelming for a city its size (especially being so close to Chicago with a fairly high population density and downtown employment). But the past 10 years has seen fairly amazing highrise construction downtown and some of the more recent projects like Northwestern Mutual, 7Seventy7, Moderne, St. John's, and BMO tower have started to move the skyline to be more robust and more modern.

Plus now U/C the world's tallest mass timber building Ascent at 284 feet and the tallest residential building in Wisconsin the Couture at 537 feet as well as a couple more approved projects over 200 feet will definitely move the Milwaukee skyline to more normal for a city its size and density in a few years. IMO pretty amazing highrise growth given it is a rust belt legacy city that is declining in population at the city level. With so many residential highrises underway there the downtown area population will likely by pushing 40k by 2025, third largest in the Midwest after Chicago and Minneapolis. Now if only they could expand the streetcar and get a couple light rail lines there!

Last edited by dbcook1; 06-01-2022 at 11:28 AM..

Old 06-01-2022, 11:25 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
Over my years of lurking on here I’ve seen several folks argue that VA Beach with its (in my opinion) inorganic city center is now the true core of Hampton Roads. Personally I would give it a skyline pass because I consider it an urban node of Norfolk. Should one consider it the actual core, I would then argue it is a better example of underwhelming compared to Norfolk.

On another note I’ve read a couple other posters excuse Colorado Springs as being in the shadow of Denver for it’s small skyline. CO Springs is a typical mountain west city IMO. They all exploded with economic and population growth tend to share the same squat, and boxy buildings in their core. I don’t think it has anything to do with Denver sucking all the height/density in a vacuum. I think it’s just a cultural predisposition of the population bases. San Jose, Fresno, Tucson, Albuquerque, Boise, El Paso, all share the same underwhelming qualities in their skylines compared to their metro population peers. Phoenix is probably the most glaring example of this dysmorphic size to skyline ratio. One might argue Sacramento lags its peers as well. That’s not to say they aren’t great at street level. They just grew up after the organic urbanity of their legacy counterparts.

Id consider both Denver and SLC exemptions to this.
Squat highrises are the most economical type. That's why they get built. Culture isn't relevant, other than in helping define the land use codes.

As for cities like Colorado Springs, the net effect will vary, but there's no question that a city off by itself will have opportunities that one next to a bigger city won't.

San Jose has very low height limits, and it's part of the SF area.

Old 06-01-2022, 11:33 AM

457 posts, read 349,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
10 years ago I would have said Milwaukee was underwhelming for a city its size (especially being so close to Chicago with a fairly high population density and downtown employment). But the past 10 years has seen fairly amazing highrise construction downtown and some of the more recent projects like Northwestern Mutual, 7Seventy7, Moderne, St. John's, and BMO tower have started to move the skyline to be more robust and more modern.
I would argue that Milwaukee suffers from an “angle” problem, over a lack of skyline. Most folks not familiar with MKE mostly identify it from the water front shots which historically show the US Bank tower and everything else appears underwhelming. Most of downtown sits down hill from the lakeshore so it appears artificially shorter than it is. If you view Milwaukee from just about any other angle, especially from the west you can see how dense it and diverse it actually is.

Old 06-01-2022, 11:46 AM

1,374 posts, read 925,417 times
I always thought LA and Phoenix skylines were underwhelming for their respective city sizes. I think Cleveland's skyline with the Terminal tower and some of the older buildings is impressive for its size.

Old 06-01-2022, 04:03 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
If this isn’t limited to the US, which it doesn’t appear to be, Vancouver is by far the most impressive skyline for a city it’s size.
City vs City is part of the General U.S. forum so it's essentially limited to the U.S. unless otherwise stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City