Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2023, 12:56 PM

1,374 posts, read 926,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
At first, I was surprised to see Atlanta mentioned as underwhelming, but I can see an argument for this. Atlanta's downtown could use some new towers to fill in the gaps. Seems like Midtown gets most of the attention. Ditto Phoenix...smh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_cy5UG_Ls0

I prefer the spread-out look, makes it look more impressive as the gaps continue to fill in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 01:01 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
St. Louis offices aren't very concentrated, even WITH Clayton. Using CoStar data, about 18% of the 145 msf inventory is in greater Downtown, and that only gets to the mid 20s with the West End and Clayton added.

Big skylines tend to be larger percentages. Chicago and Seattle are in the 40% range for their greater downtown areas (being liberal with those). Downtown Bellevue gets the Seattle total to nearly half.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:41 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
St. Louis offices aren't very concentrated, even WITH Clayton. Using CoStar data, about 18% of the 145 msf inventory is in greater Downtown, and that only gets to the mid 20s with the West End and Clayton added.

Big skylines tend to be larger percentages. Chicago and Seattle are in the 40% range for their greater downtown areas (being liberal with those). Downtown Bellevue gets the Seattle total to nearly half.
Yeah, that makes sense--the inventory downtown is too low. St Louis' skyline is on par with a city like Memphis' skyline.

I'd love to see it grow, but its location and slow growth are not conducive to skyscraper construction in this market.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:50 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,656,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yeah, that makes sense--the inventory downtown is too low. St Louis' skyline is on par with a city like Memphis' skyline.

I'd love to see it grow, but its location and slow growth are not conducive to skyscraper construction in this market.
I wonder if those panning STL’s skyline have ever seen aerials that actually do it justice. Are you making a distinction between downtown size and skyline, or are they one and the same? Because at ground level, Memphis and St. Louis are in two different leagues, no comparison. St. Louis has incredible midrise density throughout the central corridor that spans from downtown through Midtown to the CWE to Skinker/DeMun to Clayton. I don’t really know how to post pics on here anymore but if you see photos from the right perspectives it will be obvious. If by “skyline” you mean towers and balance, yeah- STL is pretty underwhelming, but if you’re talking about urban density and massing, STL is definitely a very impressive city, even if it isn’t what it used to be.

Old 02-20-2023, 05:22 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Not much in the way of huge skyscrapers, but noticeable skyline infill occurring. Good amount of 300+ ft buildings with a few 400+ and 500+ added. With more on the way…

Good drone video that was uploaded today. Still got infill needed in Downtown, but I think our skyline looks a lot fuller now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wBejqZ...ature=youtu.be

From Sept 2022

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DdhGh4...ature=youtu.be

From Jan 2023

Last edited by Dallaz; 02-20-2023 at 05:43 PM..

Old 02-20-2023, 05:35 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times
^
Niice, Google doesn't really give Dallas skyline justice. Dallas skyline doesn't look impressive until you see Uptown Dallas added to it. Either in Person or another way. Google Dallas Skyline and Google doesn't usually show Uptown. The video above shows about all of Dallas skyline

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 02-20-2023 at 05:44 PM..

Old 02-20-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
^
Niice, Google doesn't really give Dallas skyline justice. Dallas skyline doesn't look impressive until you see Uptown Dallas added to it. Either in Person or another way. Google Dallas Skyline and Google doesn't usually show Uptown. The video above shows about all of Dallas skyline
Yep, Google doesn’t show it all most of the time. I did just notice that Google Earth finally did some updating. Now, a lot of the Uptown’s high-rises are depicted. This is the first time I’ve ever seen them show the entire skyline. It’s actually pretty cool tbh.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_cy5UG_Ls0

I prefer the spread-out look, makes it look more impressive as the gaps continue to fill in.
The infill in ATL’s skyline is nice. Definitely one of the better skylines IMO.

Old 02-22-2023, 09:36 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Dallas and LA are underwhelming. Seattle is impressive

Old 02-22-2023, 11:53 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Those are good shots of Dallas and Atlanta.

Both Dallas and Atlanta are infilling at a decently fast clip. Both are building a lot of 10 - 30 story mid-rises or so, and building up their density pretty well.

I'd say the top cities with the most mid-rise and skyscraper construction this year are -

Dallas
Atlanta
Austin
Seattle
Los Angeles
Boston
Nashville
Charlotte
Miami
NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City