Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City - New Rochelle, Stamford, or White Plains?
New Rochelle 2 10.53%
Stamford 14 73.68%
White Plains 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 11:47 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times

Advertisements

Battle of three cities that are deeply tied to New York City. I'll add some criteria, but I'm interested in all opinions. The criteria
  • Safety
  • Transportation
  • Downtown
  • Neighborhoods outside of downtown
  • Education
  • Access to Manhattan
  • Urbanity
  • Vibrancy
  • Shopping
  • Dining
  • Nightlife
  • Arts
  • Entertainment
  • Local economy

Overall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 12:11 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
I feel like it's all the same city. Don't know these places well enough though.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:19 PM

506 posts, read 476,392 times
I think Stamford is the better stand-alone city of the three. It has a distinct early history before it became an edge city of NYC. The other two have always been suburbs of NYC, popping up after commuter rail started. Stamford itself has suburbs and is a center for its region of SW CT.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:46 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Safety - Stamford
Transportation - Stamford
Downtown - Stamford, the biggest, most dense, most # of high rises, good urban downtown that is growing
Neighborhoods outside of downtown - Fairfield county is leafy, wealthy and attractive. So is Westchester, but I'll give the nod to Fairfield since it is less nuts and less populated by a bit
Education - New Rochelle (Iona)
Access to Manhattan - White Plains and New Rochelle are about 25-30 mins or less by train
Urbanity - Stamford feels bigger than either, and is
Vibrancy - White Plains may edge Stamford here
Shopping - Stamford barely
Dining - Stamford offers more options
Nightlife - Stamford
Arts - Stamford
Entertainment - Stamford
Local economy - Stamford

Stamford is bigger, at roughly 124k and is the better option overall. Except for closeness to Grand Central/Manhattan.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:50 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,313 times
Stamford seems good overall-- a variety of neighborhoods, big downtown area, long island sound shoreline, New England governance. The other two are in Westchester so you pay high taxes to the city, to the county and to the school district whereas, in Connecticut, property tax goes to the city only. White Plains has been a regional shopping destination for a long time--earlier in 20th century in stores on and off Mamaroneck Ave and in recent decades in malls. I wouldn't say the other two compare for shopping. New Rochelle has LI sound shoreline too and some really nice neighborhoods and significant cultural diversity, but I don't know how integrated, and I don't think it has much of a downtown compared to the other two despite some big new buildings.

Old 06-05-2022, 01:14 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times
I love White Plains and wouldn’t mind moving there at all actually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City