Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,385 times

Advertisements

I cant decide between these two cities I really like both.

LV
Pros: amazing nightlife, cheaper, no income tax
Cons: Desert, there isnt a lot to do besides the generic LV stuff, less jobs

PDX
Pros: Beautiful nature, politically aligned with me, more jobs, you can hike, bike etc.
Cons: Higher costs

The fact that I could save more money in LV really makes it difficult to decide but there being less jobs is also bad, more competition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 04:35 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,324 times
They're both very different metros. But it sounds like you prefer Portland.

From what I understand, the cost of living in Vegas has inflated a lot in recent years. I don't think it's quite on par with Phoenix, but I know it's definitely much higher than it was a couple years ago. Portland, while still expensive, has cooled off a bit. I look on Zillow regularly, and the housing costs haven't changed much since I moved here around 18 months ago.

Also, not sure what industry you're in, but wages in Portland are higher than Vegas pretty much across the board. As you said, the Portland area has more jobs so more employment opportunities.

Good luck in your search!

Old 09-18-2022, 10:57 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,725 times
You can hike in Las Vegas. Red Rock Canyon, Valley of the Fire, hot springs along the Colorado River are beautiful. In the summer, you can hike up on Mt. Charleston, which is forested.

Old 09-18-2022, 03:54 PM

817 posts, read 627,318 times
Las Vegas is 10000x better than Portland, the people, the culture, lifestyle, weather, everything.

Old 09-18-2022, 04:04 PM

946 posts, read 564,763 times
Las Vegas.

Portland? Sorry but I don't see the appeal at all. Unless you're a hipster.

Old 09-18-2022, 10:06 PM

11,243 posts, read 11,019,479 times
Las Vegas ain't perfect, but if you're looking for a crazy and violent leftist utopia, PDX is your dream spot.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:24 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Las Vegas is 10000x better than Portland, the people, the culture, lifestyle, weather, everything.
How did you determine the people are better In Las Vegas than the people in Portland?

Old 09-18-2022, 11:42 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,324 times
These responses are hilarious - it’s like a compilation from a Fox News viewing party. You’ll notice no one is actually giving any specific or detailed reasons on why Portland is so bad, it’s just “Portland is scary because Fox News said so“.

If you can afford it, Portland is the no brainer choice here. It is nearby some of the most beautiful scenery in North America. It’s walkable, vibrant, has moderate weather year round, and is extremely water secure (kind of important!). Vegas is too hot, crime-ridden, and sprawl infested for how much it costs. People that are not from there will say the climate is great, but they have no idea what it’s like to actually live in a desert environment and experience extreme heat for months on end. There’s also the poor air quality and the fact that the city’s 50 year water availability plan accounts for legally binding contracts for water that likely won’t exist.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:50 AM

817 posts, read 627,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
How did you determine the people are better In Las Vegas than the people in Portland?
People in Vegas are much more happier, social, real, and extroverted. The exact opposite of people in Portland

Old 09-19-2022, 11:11 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,994,775 times
Vegas is about the last place in the West that I'd want to live...
between the dry, desolate terrain, the broiling summers,
and the economy being based on nonproductive, superficial activities.

(Although ny789987 is right that there are places
to go hiking not far from Vegas).

But , OP, you say you like both places.

So....

You could live in Portland and take occasional
trips to Vegas... probably in the winter.
I think that would be easier to do than
living in Vegas and vacationing in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City