Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 09:07 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Here's my take--

People - both have pretentious ppl higher than most cities, in my opinion. LA probably a bit worse in the industry circles/fashion/media etc
Drivers - both bad. Dallas maybe a bit worse
Weather - LA better
Entertainment - LA leads this all the way-so much more on almost all levels
Cost of Living - Dallas less, but you get less too
Better Wages - both similar, depends on industry
Job Opportunities - both pretty equal, Dallas may get a slight edge
Shopping - LA all the way
Transportation - LA maybe barely
Lifestyle - LA can be phenomenal--anything and everything here. Dallas is a bit cheaper, but has a lot of wealthy areas too, just zero film/tv industry hq here
Social Life - hard to say--depends on the person and personality. Are you outgoing/type A? or more to yourself? this depends on the individual.
Less Congestion - Dallas
Ease of getting around - Dallas
Easiness to make friends and meet people - depends on industry you are in
Knowing your neighbors - Dallas
Hospitality - Dallas
Friendliness - probably Dallas
Los Angeles has 2X the light rail ridership of Dallas and 7X the bus ridership, plus a subway on top of that. It's a little more than maybe barely.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:09 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
People - Dallas. LA is full of self absorbed people.
Drivers - Are you really asking which city has better drivers like that is going to influence where to move?
Weather - LA has to take this one. Except for chilly June the weather is very nice.
Entertainment - LA overall has more entertainment options.
Cost of Living - Dallas is more affordable than LA.
Better Wages - Wages will be higher in LA, but remember TX has no individual income tax, so you keep more of your salary.
Job Opportunities - Dallas. Texas is booming.
Shopping - Dallas is known for good shopping but LA has a lot of higher end boutiques.
Transportation - Neither city has great non-car transportation.
Lifestyle - If you need the beach, then LA. Otherwise, Dallas.
Social Life - Dallas. Who wants to socialize with the type of people that are attracted to LA?
Less Congestion - Dallas. LA is too crowded.
Ease of getting around - Dallas. It has taken me well over an hour to drive 10 miles in LA. Ridiculous.
Easiness to make friends and meet people - Dallas.
Knowing your neighbors - Dallas.
Hospitality - Dallas.
Friendliness - Dallas.

Dallas is the clear winner here in my opinion. LA is paradise ruined. Dallas is a decent place to call home.
Did the ocean dry up? Were the mountains flattened? Did the sun stop shining?

Last time I checked all the things that make it paradise are still there.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:24 AM

10 posts, read 9,137 times
So it seems Dallas may be better in terms of starting a career? I'm leaning more towards LA, but after looking around at some apartments, the cheap ones seem really sketchy and probably in high crime areas. How much are utilities typically in LA on top of a barely decent $1800 apartment? How much is electricity? I'm not planning to move until the winter, but I started looking around a bit. I'm gonna visit both cities too in person to see which is better. Once decided on where I want to go, I plan to attend a job fair and get a job that way.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:53 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Los Angeles has 2X the light rail ridership of Dallas and 7X the bus ridership, plus a subway on top of that. It's a little more than maybe barely.
Alright, I stand corrected, thanks for the info.

Dallas lags behind LA as a choice here on many levels, overall. It would be no question in my mind, as long as I was making a decent, livable salary in LA.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:17 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darikotena View Post
So it seems Dallas may be better in terms of starting a career? I'm leaning more towards LA, but after looking around at some apartments, the cheap ones seem really sketchy and probably in high crime areas. How much are utilities typically in LA on top of a barely decent $1800 apartment? How much is electricity? I'm not planning to move until the winter, but I started looking around a bit. I'm gonna visit both cities too in person to see which is better. Once decided on where I want to go, I plan to attend a job fair and get a job that way.
Depends on your career path and field. If you are focused more on cost then Dallas definitely makes more sense. I’m still scratching my head over another post that gave the impression that LA is awful for corporate career opportunities because LA City only has 5 F1000 companies within its defined boundaries whereas that number quadruples if you expand the search to include LA County or metro which are not exactly time zones away (not to mention regional offices for countless more).l

I had an itching to land my first job clear cross country in CA and was able to do so and spent 98% of my working career there. If you want something bad enough and are persistent you should be able to make things happen. Both Dallas and LA provide good opportunities. If you prefer one city over the other make it happen. Proactive shotgun Email campaigns with a resume can’t hurt either—who knows, maybe one will find its way to a college alumnus who will grant you an interview. That approach, with a bit of luck, worked for me. Good luck

Last edited by elchevere; 06-27-2022 at 11:29 AM..

Old 06-27-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Depends on your career path and field. If you are focused more on cost then Dallas definitely makes more sense. I’m still scratching my head over another post that gave the impression that LA is awful for corporate career opportunities because LA City only has 5 F1000 companies within its defined boundaries whereas that number quadruples if you expand the search to include LA County or metro which are not exactly time zones away (not to mention regional offices for countless more).l

I had an itching to land my first job clear cross country in CA and was able to do so and spent 98% of my working career there. If you want something bad enough and are persistent you should be able to make things happen. Both Dallas and LA provide good opportunities. If you prefer one city over the other make it happen. Proactive shotgun Email campaigns with a resume can’t hurt either—who knows, maybe one will find its way to a college alumnus who will grant you an interview. That approach, with a bit of luck, worked for me. Good luck
I was looking at the cost for apartments in Dallas and I was so surprised at how cheap it is to live there. For less than $1,000, you can actually get something decent there. There must be a reason for this. in LA, a decent apartment starts at $1,800. It makes me wonder, does Dallas get hit by tornados every year? I know LA can get earthquakes, but is it rare an earthquake happens? I'm also wanting the city with a less chance of a natural disaster.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:39 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post

Quote:
I was looking at the cost for apartments in Dallas and I was so surprised at how cheap it is to live there. For less than $1,000, you can actually get something decent there. There must be a reason for this. in LA, a decent apartment starts at $1,800. It makes me wonder, does Dallas get hit by tornados every year? I know LA can get earthquakes, but is it rare an earthquake happens? I'm also wanting the city with a less chance of a natural disaster.
There is a premium that people are willing to pay for a year round warm weather oceanfront city with top tier urban amenities of which there are very few.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:45 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Earthquakes are rare, especially earthquakes that cause severe damage. You can easily live your entire life in the LA area and feel many minor shakers over the years, but never be negatively impacted. Wildfires, however, are more common. LA and Dallas both have natural disasters; it's just a question of whether you'd rather risk the above in LA or hail, flooding, hurricanes and tornadoes in Dallas.

This article claims that Dallas is the most high-risk city for natural disasters in the country. It's someone's school project, apparently, but sometimes students manage to present info they've researched very lucidly. She states accurately,
Quote:
Dallas-Fort Worth has weather that can change in an instant. From great heat to coldness, to tornadoes and flash flooding. Dallas is perfectly centered in an area on the edges of America where different risky weather patterns are normal. Most places have a few of these issues while Dallas has a way of finding itself to be vulnerable to almost everything but earthquakes, unless they are caused by fracking, of course.
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...b76204ccb75cf6

Old 06-27-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Earthquakes are rare, especially earthquakes that cause severe damage. You can easily live your entire life in the LA area and feel many minor shakers over the years, but never be negatively impacted. Wildfires, however, are more common. LA and Dallas both have natural disasters; it's just a question of whether you'd rather risk the above in LA or hail, flooding, hurricanes and tornadoes in Dallas.

This article (someone's school project, apparently, but sometimes students manage to present info they've researched very lucidly) claims that Dallas is the most high-risk city for natural disasters in the country.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...b76204ccb75cf6
That makes sense why LA is more expensive. Dallas is cheap, but I see why it's cheap now. I may just end up choosing LA because of the less risk of a natural disaster. Also, the lifestyle seems better. I plan to get a job at a job fair in LA.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:25 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Well a few reasons, Dallas metro region is super flat/or rolling prairie: cheap to build (cheaper, anyway). Minimal geographic limitations in the DFW region. Less "amenities" in DFW, meaning, no beach, no mountains, no ideal year-round weather (like LA). There's no movie/tv industry glamour, and you have anything and everything you want in LA, almost.

Granted, the DFW metroplex offers a ton too, and is no slouch at all. But bottom line is the LA region is much larger, offers a ton more variety/options, has better weather, is much more cosmopolitan, and it doesn't have a "cowboy type culture" like Dallas.

For me, it's a no brainer with LA as a choice, but many absolutely love the DFW region since it offers low cost housing, tons of jobs and lots to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City