Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For car free life, is NYC worth it over Chicago or Philly?
Yes 27 38.03%
No 44 61.97%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 10:05 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,293,492 times

Advertisements

Another fictional scenario:

You have the option of relocating to one of these cities. For whatever reason, you will not have access to a private car. With that in mind, here are the median home prices in each:

New York City: $768,000

Philadelphia: $233,564

Chicago: $318,690

I've seen plenty of people claim that NYC is really the only place where car-free life is possible.

Is that true to the extent that this cost disparity would be justified?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 10:13 AM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

You have the option of relocating to one of these cities. For whatever reason, you will not have access to a private car. With that in mind, here are the median home prices in each:

I've seen plenty of people claim that NYC is really the only place where car-free life is possible.

Who said this? There are several cities where one can truly live car-free... Chicago and Philly are two of them. Add Boston, DC, San Francisco, and if including Canada, Toronto and Montreal.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Who said this? There are several cities where one can truly live car-free... Chicago and Philly are two of them. Add Boston, DC, San Francisco, and if including Canada, Toronto and Montreal.
Usually in this context (not usually in this sub though), someone's trying to defend the fact that a large city has little to no mass transit and they say "well, really every city except NYC has bad transit." Maybe more on reddit than here.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:40 AM

2,543 posts, read 2,865,719 times
I've been living car-free and renting in NYC (LIC, Queens to be exact) for the past decade and am not sure if I could improve my QoL anywhere else in the country.

I have everything I need within a 10-15 minute walk (parks, grocery store, pharmacy, barber, medical offices, dozens of bars/restaurants).

Public transportation takes me to just about anywhere I want to go in the city for $2.75.

It's easy for me to bike anywhere within a few miles of me either by using my personal bike or the city's bike share system (Citi Bike).

I never have to wait more than a few minutes to catch an Uber if needed.

The ultimate x-factor is that I live in affordable housing so I pay well below market rate for my apartment to live in a pristine building/location.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
I've been living car-free and renting in NYC (LIC, Queens to be exact) for the past decade and am not sure if I could improve my QoL anywhere else in the country.

I have everything I need within a 10-15 minute walk (parks, grocery store, pharmacy, barber, medical offices, dozens of bars/restaurants).

Public transportation takes me to just about anywhere I want to go in the city for $2.75.

It's easy for me to bike anywhere within a few miles of me either by using my personal bike or the city's bike share system (Citi Bike).

The ultimate x-factor is that I live in affordable housing so I pay well below market rate for my apartment to live in a pristine building/location.
I'm guessing you voted "yes", but it can be argued that everything you listed can be found in other places.

I live in a semi residential area and have everything you listed within one mile of my condo to include a light rail station. I walked past three "bodegas" (if we're allowed to call them that on the west coast) in another semi residential area in two blocks yesterday

Old 07-06-2022, 10:54 AM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:

I grew up in Montreal... And this sounds like Montreal to me.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE NYC, if anything, for the sheer scale of it, and how generally safe it feels in most places despite the size.
I just don't think that what you listed is really unique to NYC alone.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:17 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

You can definitely live car-free in Philadelphia, but location within the city is going to have a big impact on your travel times and, honestly, sanity. As a longtime Philadelphian, I personally would only consider a couple dozen neighborhoods in the greater center city area. And this of course takes that city-wide median home price that you reference above way up, as the neighborhoods near the city core are the most affluent and expensive. That's the true big difference between NYC and basically every other U.S. city. NYC is probably the only U.S. city where you can live everywhere within the city car-free and still have relatively easy and rapid transport.

With this said, Philly's public transportation services are really quite good.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:36 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
I think the time horizon matters. You can easily live in parts of Chicago or Philly without a car. But after a while, seeing the same few areas over and over will get old. Whereas NYC has so many vibrant areas that are connected with transit it's a lot easier. Plus it has a great commuter rail system and a whole network of weekend bus companies that cater to the carless for when you want to get out of town.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:39 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:

Do you have children?

Old 07-06-2022, 11:50 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Chicago is the best value for the money for a car free lifestyle IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City