Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 02:22 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
NYC is the most ethnically diverse metro in the US.

DC metro is 2nd

LA is 3rd

SF and Houston can duke it out for 4th.

I’ve been through the numbers as nauseum. Those are the top 5 with Miami being the wild card. Miami is super ethnically diverse but it’s only from one region of the world.
Where is Sacramento on this list?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 02:56 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Where is Sacramento on this list?????
In the 7-9 range.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:01 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
This is very true. Also while Queens may be the single most diverse county in the country.

Fort Bend County is top 3 in the nation, and what it has above almost all its competition is significantly lower rates of income disparity between its ethnic groups coupled with low crime and the highest income in Texas of any county while being the most diverse. Here’s the 2020 stats, it might be the only county that has 20%+ of all 4 big races.
21.9% Black
21.6% Asian
25.5% Hispanic
30.2% White
Of course, the county lies outside the Houston city limits (which I believe remain entirely within Harris County), so it wouldn't have been covered in this study.

I'm not sure how much different Queens and Fort Bend counties are on this metric. Here are the figures for Queens:

20.7% Black
27.3% Asian
28.1% Hispanic
24.5% White non-Hispanic

Well, Queens is less white, more Hispanic and Asian, and a little less Black.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:54 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Of course, the county lies outside the Houston city limits (which I believe remain entirely within Harris County), so it wouldn't have been covered in this study.

I'm not sure how much different Queens and Fort Bend counties are on this metric. Here are the figures for Queens:

20.7% Black
27.3% Asian
28.1% Hispanic
24.5% White non-Hispanic

Well, Queens is less white, more Hispanic and Asian, and a little less Black.
Sorry I meant besides Queens I think it’s the only county with 20%+ of the big 4 races although their might be one more.

From a demographic perspective Queens has way more ethnics and it also is about 2-3x bigger population wise. Their is a good chance that Fort Bend County hits 2,000,000 people so it’ll be more comparable in two decades or so.

The main thing I wanted to point out was income inequality between groups and the wealth of the actual County was really high. I think the highest out of the really diverse counties, when including both factors.

Old 07-18-2022, 12:55 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Sorry I meant besides Queens I think it’s the only county with 20%+ of the big 4 races although their might be one more.

From a demographic perspective Queens has way more ethnics and it also is about 2-3x bigger population wise. Their is a good chance that Fort Bend County hits 2,000,000 people so it’ll be more comparable in two decades or so.

The main thing I wanted to point out was income inequality between groups and the wealth of the actual County was really high. I think the highest out of the really diverse counties, when including both factors.
Is Fort Bend County wealthier, or Queens County? (I assume this refers to per capita income, not countywide MHI.)

And which has the bigger gap between rich and poor?

Old 07-18-2022, 06:32 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Is Fort Bend County wealthier, or Queens County? (I assume this refers to per capita income, not countywide MHI.)

And which has the bigger gap between rich and poor?
Nah, I’m talking median household income. Fort Bend County is arguably the wealthiest county in Texas by several metrics. The median household income is over 100,000 USD.

Queens is at 72,000.

In terms of poverty the two or three poorest communities are Rosenberg, Richmond, Fifth Street and Fort Bend Houston (this is a neighborhood in Houston city limits and theirs a few communities like it in Fort Bend with a similar median income but it probably has the worst crime and arguably the worst schools so I feel like it can fall under here). Their all relatively small area that add up to less than 100,000 people. Almost every neighborhood after that is either clearly middle class or heading into upper middle class. Even these areas two of them are small towns and Fort Bend Houston is a lower middle class part of Houston, like very much splitting hairs between Lower middle class and poor. Queens has straight up areas that qualify as ghettoes so I don’t know how it stacks up. Most of Houston’s fort bend county poor neighborhoods majority Hispanic.

In a few years Richmond and Rosenberg will annex and receive major new development, which will probably take them over the 60,000 median income that I’m kind of using as my perimeter for “poorer” areas.

The data is pretty old, but in 2017- Hispanics had a median income of around 62,000, Blacks a median income of around 70,000. Asians a median income of around 110,000 and Whites a median income of around 110,000, for a county-wide median income of 90,000.

Median incomes increased 10,000 USD since then, so I wouldn’t be surprised if most of these numbers just shifted up for Fort Bend County. I would think Hispanics gained on blacks and Asians passed whites because the two big population growths had got to be wealthy Latin Americans and Asians within Fort Bend County.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 07-18-2022 at 06:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City