Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite Capital City/ies?
Phoenix, AZ 8 9.09%
Austin, TX 17 19.32%
Columbus, OH 9 10.23%
Indianapolis, IN 7 7.95%
Denver, CO 22 25.00%
Boston, MA 49 55.68%
Nashville, TN 22 25.00%
Oklahoma City, OK 4 4.55%
Sacramento, CA 13 14.77%
Atlanta, GA 32 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 08:42 AM

24 posts, read 20,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderFella7 View Post
The 10 largest US Capital cities are:
  1. Phoenix, AZ
  2. Austin, TX
  3. Columbus, OH
  4. Indianapolis, IN
  5. Denver, CO
  6. Boston, MA
  7. Nashville, TN
  8. Oklahoma City, OK
  9. Sacramento, CA
  10. Atlanta, GA

Which one (and/or) few are your favorites? What would your ranking of the ten cities be? Criteria to include: geography, affordability, history, transit, amenities (shopping, theatres, museums etc.), culture, urban/rural, businesses, architecture, and other topics you can think of.

KEEP IT FUN AND RESPECTFUL PEOPLE!
Raleigh is bigger than OKC, and Nashville metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 08:52 AM

592 posts, read 590,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackCyr1965 View Post
Raleigh is bigger than OKC, and Nashville metro.
Believe this ranking is based on city population.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:59 PM

579 posts, read 512,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Most to least interested in spending time in:

1. Austin
2. Oklahoma City
3. Atlanta
4. Nashville
5. Denver
6. Boston
7. Columbus
8. Indianapolis
(gap)
9. Phoenix
10. Sacramento

I'm kinda surprised I'm not more interested in Boston, it just feels like I've absorbed a lot about the city already through this forum and people I know who have lived there (and I went there on a family trip once). But OKC and Nashville I know almost nothing about.

As for my lower tier: I've been to Sac a few times, there's nothing really wrong with it but it feels very generic and identity-less, moreso than even Columbus or Indy. I'm actually putting Phoenix above Sac, just because Phoenix is at least clearly trying to become more urban and upzone the neighborhoods around the downtown. I don't get that vibe in Sac, it seems like they just have downtown and Midtown and they're pretty much fine with that. It seems like most of the development is happing in the eastern suburbs, more and more Targets and Chipotles being thunked down in the Sierra foothills.

I am surprised the opinions on Sac on this thread are so polarized, everyone either agrees with me or is describing it as one of the nation's most underrated cities.
I think most have Sac placed right. Above Indy, OKC, and possibly Cbus. To be fair, most state capital towns do not have much of an identity. Also from 2010-2020, most of Sac Metro residential growth was in the central city. There's been some growth in the outskirts, but not like 20 years ago.

I think the big thing about Sac is that it has all the headaches that come with big city Californina living, with only some of the benefits - and in a one horse town kind of way. That being said, day to day living is much easier in Sacramento than it is on the coast. Which I think is a big appeal, especially with families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City