Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite Capital City/ies?
Phoenix, AZ 8 9.09%
Austin, TX 17 19.32%
Columbus, OH 9 10.23%
Indianapolis, IN 7 7.95%
Denver, CO 22 25.00%
Boston, MA 49 55.68%
Nashville, TN 22 25.00%
Oklahoma City, OK 4 4.55%
Sacramento, CA 13 14.77%
Atlanta, GA 32 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 07:03 PM

795 posts, read 485,250 times

Advertisements

The 10 largest US Capital cities are:
  1. Phoenix, AZ
  2. Austin, TX
  3. Columbus, OH
  4. Indianapolis, IN
  5. Denver, CO
  6. Boston, MA
  7. Nashville, TN
  8. Oklahoma City, OK
  9. Sacramento, CA
  10. Atlanta, GA

Which one (and/or) few are your favorites? What would your ranking of the ten cities be? Criteria to include: geography, affordability, history, transit, amenities (shopping, theatres, museums etc.), culture, urban/rural, businesses, architecture, and other topics you can think of.

KEEP IT FUN AND RESPECTFUL PEOPLE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 07:07 PM

2,354 posts, read 2,314,193 times
Boston
Denver
Atlanta
Sacramento
Austin
Nashville
Phoenix
Indianapolis
Columbus
Oklahoma City

Old 07-27-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Boston
Denver
Atlanta
Sacramento
Austin
Nashville
Phoenix
Indianapolis
Columbus
Oklahoma City

Nice list! Thank you for sharing!

Old 07-27-2022, 09:05 PM

My order:
  1. Boston
  2. Atlanta
  3. Nashville
  4. Sacramento
  5. Austin
  6. Denver
  7. Indianapolis
  8. Columbus
  9. Oklahoma City
  10. Phoenix

Old 07-27-2022, 09:30 PM

580 posts, read 568,424 times
They're all really nice cities actually. Phoenix stands out to me as the most unique. Actually I really mean Scottsdale and adjacent areas to the north (as well as some suburbs to the south).

I couldn't get enough of the cleanliness of Scottsdale and the stunning beauty of the setting of the entire area. The week I was there (in March) the temperatures were in the low to mid 60s and it was a treat. I loved the vegetation, the mountain backdrops, the trails, the restaurants, and the fresh air. I also was really surprised how well planned the area is overall. It's not quite as overrun with sprawl as I had imagined, or at least it's fairly orderly, I thought.

I liked that they had a great road system and also how they preserved open spaces on the outer edges. And I liked the feeling of being a fast-growing place with lots of high paying jobs for people.

It was evident that the city of Phoenix has really focused on getting young people to move downtown. Driving through downtown at night reminded a bit of Fort Lauderdale during spring break days. Lots of people out walking the sidewalks, lots of young people at outdoor patio bars, and plenty of neon lights and blaring music. And lots of huge, new apartment buildings. While I preferred the more cultured vibe of Scottsdale, I admire the city of Phoenix for getting things rolling in a big way in their downtown area. Things will get bigger and better with each year.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:31 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,669,588 times
I'll rank them according to the criteria of where I'd most want to live:

1. Nashville, TN -- scenic, interesting, friendly, lively, city with a mild four-season climate and lots of growth potential.

2. Oklahoma City, OK -- underrated place, prettier than one might expect for its location, and one of the more conservative major cities.

3. Boston, MA -- I don't like its politics, but it's a very walkable city with tons of history and lots of charm.

4. Denver, CO -- Trending in a negative direction (IMO), but I do like its Front Range location.

5. Atlanta, GA -- more crime than I would like but it seems to be trending in a good direction.

6. Columbus, OH -- not particularly exciting, but seems like a good, solid, fairly wholesome place.

7. Indianapolis, IN -- similar to Columbus, but even flatter, if this is possible.

8. Phoenix, AZ -- yeah, it's a dry heat, but darn it's hot; still a pretty nice city, though.

9. Austin, TX -- keep it weird? how 'bout keeping me out of it. But at least it's close to San Antonio and the Hill Country.

10. Sacramento, CA -- nothing redeems it, IMO.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
They're all really nice cities actually. Phoenix stands out to me as the most unique. Actually I really mean Scottsdale and adjacent areas to the north (as well as some suburbs to the south).

I couldn't get enough of the cleanliness of Scottsdale and the stunning beauty of the setting of the entire area. The week I was there (in March) the temperatures were in the low to mid 60s and it was a treat. I loved the vegetation, the mountain backdrops, the trails, the restaurants, and the fresh air. I also was really surprised how well planned the area is overall. It's not quite as overrun with sprawl as I had imagined, or at least it's fairly orderly, I thought.

I liked that they had a great road system and also how they preserved open spaces on the outer edges. And I liked the feeling of being a fast-growing place with lots of high paying jobs for people.

It was evident that the city of Phoenix has really focused on getting young people to move downtown. Driving through downtown at night reminded a bit of Fort Lauderdale during spring break days. Lots of people out walking the sidewalks, lots of young people at outdoor patio bars, and plenty of neon lights and blaring music. And lots of huge, new apartment buildings. While I preferred the more cultured vibe of Scottsdale, I admire the city of Phoenix for getting things rolling in a big way in their downtown area. Things will get bigger and better with each year.
That's true, they are!! Glad you had a great time in the Phoenix area! I remember a girl I went to middle school moved to Phoenix. I sent a Boston postcard one time, hoping to receive a Phoenix one back and never did LOL . Sounds like Phoenix will get bigger and bigger, nice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

1. Nashville, TN -- scenic, interesting, friendly, lively, city with a mild four-season climate and lots of growth potential.

2. Oklahoma City, OK -- underrated place, prettier than one might expect for its location, and one of the more conservative major cities.

3. Boston, MA -- I don't like its politics, but it's a very walkable city with tons of history and lots of charm.

4. Denver, CO -- Trending in a negative direction (IMO), but I do like its Front Range location.

5. Atlanta, GA -- more crime than I would like but it seems to be trending in a good direction.

6. Columbus, OH -- not particularly exciting, but seems like a good, solid, fairly wholesome place.

7. Indianapolis, IN -- similar to Columbus, but even flatter, if this is possible.

8. Phoenix, AZ -- yeah, it's a dry heat, but darn it's hot; still a pretty nice city, though.

9. Austin, TX -- keep it weird? how 'bout keeping me out of it. But at least it's close to San Antonio and the Hill Country.

Great list!! I agree with you about Boston politics TBH (I'm a moderate). I'm glad North End restaurant owners are suing the Mayor for what she did.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:46 PM

2,354 posts, read 2,314,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

I haven’t been there, but it doesn’t look bad actually. What I really like though is it isn’t that far from the Bay Area and the Sierras. And it’s not very expensive. All told, it’s not a bad value for what you’re getting.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:27 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,775,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderFella7 View Post
The 10 largest US Capital cities are:
  1. Phoenix, AZ
  2. Austin, TX
  3. Columbus, OH
  4. Indianapolis, IN
  5. Denver, CO
  6. Boston, MA
  7. Nashville, TN
  8. Oklahoma City, OK
  9. Sacramento, CA
  10. Atlanta, GA

Which one (and/or) few are your favorites? What would your ranking of the ten cities be? Criteria to include: geography, affordability, history, transit, amenities (shopping, theatres, museums etc.), culture, urban/rural, businesses, architecture, and other topics you can think of.

KEEP IT FUN AND RESPECTFUL PEOPLE!
I have spent quite a bit of time in all of these:

1. Boston (by far the most urban, scenic, cosmopolitan and sophisticated city on this list, but awful winters and lame nightlife)
2. Sacramento (the most under-rated large MSA in the U.S., plus proximity to some of the best natural environs in the country- kinda the best of CA without the high prices and the attitude , and the delta is one of the most hauntingly beautiful and undiscovered places in the U.S.)
3. Austin (quintessential boomtown - fastest growing capital- awful summers, but great food, music and outdoor recreation in city limits)
4. Atlanta (mostly sprawlsville, but fun)
5. Phoenix (worse summers than Austin, but glorious winter weather. LA with a lobotomy, but okay)
6. Indianapolis (pretty good downtown, friendly and unpretentious)
7. Nashville (growing fast, but still overly religious and kinda uptight)
8. Columbus (worst topography after OKC and greyest of any of the cities on this list and still second fiddle to Cleveland and Cincinnati in Ohio - all the bad parts of sunbelt development without the sun)
9. Denver (most over-rated city in the U.S. Terrible food, mediocre nightlife. Proximity to great scenery not enough to redeem the tedium and smugness)
10. OKC. (Improving but much prefer Tulsa in OK, and generally represents everything that is wrong with this country, but they are trying, and easily the ugliest city in terms of topography and architecture and the worst year round weather of these capital cities. Truly ruined by bad urban renewal in the 1960s and gonna be hard to recover).

Old 07-27-2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I haven’t been there, but it doesn’t look bad actually. What I really like though is it isn’t that far from the Bay Area and the Sierras. And it’s not very expensive. All told, it’s not a bad value for what you’re getting.
Good point!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I have spent quite a bit of time in all of these:

1. Boston (by far the most urban, scenic, cosmopolitan and sophisticated city on this list, but awful winters and lame nightlife)
2. Sacramento (the most under-rated large MSA in the U.S., plus proximity to some of the best natural environs in the country- kinda the best of CA without the high prices and the attitude , and the delta is one of the most hauntingly beautiful and undiscovered places in the U.S.)
3. Austin (quintessential boomtown - fastest growing capital- awful summers, but great food, music and outdoor recreation in city limits)
4. Atlanta (mostly sprawlsville, but fun)
5. Phoenix (worse summers than Austin, but glorious winter weather. LA with a lobotomy, but okay)
6. Indianapolis (pretty good downtown, friendly and unpretentious)
7. Nashville (growing fast, but still overly religious and kinda uptight)
8. Columbus (worst topography after OKC and greyest of any of the cities on this list and still second fiddle to Cleveland and Cincinnati in Ohio - all the bad parts of sunbelt development without the sun)
9. Denver (most over-rated city in the U.S. Terrible food, mediocre nightlife. Proximity to great scenery not enough to redeem the tedium and smugness)
10. OKC. (Improving but much prefer Tulsa in OK, and generally represents everything that is wrong with this country, but they are trying, and easily the ugliest city in terms of topography and architecture and the worst year round weather of these capital cities. Truly ruined by bad urban renewal in the 1960s and gonna be hard to recover).
Thank you for sharing your list! I love the insights you gave for each city too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City