Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas for African American Urban Living
Houston (City Limits) 26 63.41%
Dallas (City Limits) 9 21.95%
Neither 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 03:23 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

These two cities have been leading lists for years in population growth. They also have experienced tons of new development. Which city is best for African American urban living? Which is better for walkable, urban, neighborhoods with mixed-use development in their city proper's? Which neighborhoods provide a better opportunity to live without a car between Dallas and Houston. The African American population threshold can be whatever you're comfortable with.

If you would like to provide google street view links, please add them for reference. Also, please provide cultural references (food, entertainment, etc.) that make these neighborhoods great for African Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 09:11 PM

151 posts, read 87,813 times
I’ve actually heard plenty of opinions amongst the Black community regarding Dallas and Houston through social media, family and people I know. What I gather overall is that people see Dallas as being a bit whitewashed and too boujee/upscale. Whereas Houston is seen as more cultured and more “Black.” I’m sure not everyone feels that way and obviously Dallas is still a very sought after destination in the community but that’s just a general sentiment I’ve heard often.

As for which is better for urban living, I’d say they’re pretty on par. They’re slightly different versions of the same city to me. I’d put Dallas slightly ahead just since it has a more extensive transportation system and more TODs. Houston is probably a bit better for food (Southern/Soul food) and doing it bigger as far as Black entertainment.

Wish I could go into more detail but my experiences with both are pretty surface level since I’m usually visiting family when I’m in both. I never have time to explore as much as I’d like. I’m sure someone will weigh in with a more detailed response.

Last edited by SaintX; 08-03-2022 at 09:23 PM..

Old 08-03-2022, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintX View Post
I’ve actually heard plenty of opinions amongst the Black community regarding Dallas and Houston through social media, family and people I know. What I gather overall is that people see Dallas as being a bit whitewashed and too boujee/upscale. Whereas Houston is seen as more cultured and more “Black.” I’m sure not everyone feels that way and obviously Dallas is still a very sought after destination in the community but that’s just a general sentiment I’ve heard often.

As for which is better for urban living, I’d say they’re pretty on par. They’re slightly different versions of the same city to me. I’d put Dallas slightly ahead just since it has a more extensive transportation system and more TODs. Houston is probably a bit better for food (Southern/Soul food) and doing it bigger as far as Black entertainment.

Wish I could go into more detail but my experiences with both are pretty surface level since I’m usually visiting family when I’m in both. I never have time to explore as much as I’d like. I’m sure someone will weigh in with a more detailed response.
I’d better interested in which neighborhoods are most popular in Dallas for Black people and which neighborhoods are most popular in Houston for Black people and how they compare to each other in your experience? Did your family mention any neighborhoods?

Old 08-04-2022, 07:09 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
This is tough. I think for what they have to offer, it's a tie. Dallas has Downtown Dallas, Uptown, Victory Park, Deep Ellum, Turtle Creek, Cedars (though still seedy but changing), and a couple areas that I'm likely forgetting. I'm thinking most Black Americans prefer Victory Park, Deep Ellum, Cedars, and maybe Downtown Dallas. Basically areas that truly are adjacent to downtown Dallas. Houston is practically the same but the footprint is a bit larger with Downtown Houston, Midtown, East Downtown, 3rd and 4th Wards, Museum District, Montrose, Rice Military, and probably a couple more. All of which are popular with Black Americans.

Dallas has better connectivity with their light rail going through most of those areas I named. I would also say Dallas has better cohesiveness whereas while Houston probably has more dense urban areas, they are like islands with minimum connectivity. Both are about the same with storefront activities but Houston does have areas with zero parking minimums unlike Dallas. Deep Ellum probably has the best entertainment district and Victory Park isn't that bad in itself. Houston isn't bad though with Midtown and Rice Military (Wash Ave corridor).

I think both are improving at a solid clip for young Black Americans so it's a hard to choose. If I must choose, I'd pick Dallas but I think Houston has the better potential if they work on cohesion and connectivity.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:40 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
These two cities have been leading lists for years in population growth. They also have experienced tons of new development. Which city is best for African American urban living? Which is better for walkable, urban, neighborhoods with mixed-use development in their city proper's? Which neighborhoods provide a better opportunity to live without a car between Dallas and Houston. The African American population threshold can be whatever you're comfortable with.

If you would like to provide google street view links, please add them for reference. Also, please provide cultural references (food, entertainment, etc.) that make these neighborhoods great for African Americans.
From my observation both cities are not that far apart from each other as far as Urban "Living". I do think Dallas has more walkable urban neighborhoods than Houston however I think Black people in Houston have the more Vibrant Urban experience.

Let me explain, Most walkable urban neighborhoods in Dallas lack a ton of Black residents. Houston is somewhat similar but Houston does have 3rd Ward that sits right in the middle of East Downtown/ Midtown and the Museum District. So Black spaces in Urban settings are more plentiful in Houston than they are in Dallas.

Now Dallas does have districts like Uptown, Deep Ellum and Bishop Arts Districts to name a few. I probably see more Black people in Deep Ellum than the other 2. And what I mean by that is spaces that cater more to Black people. Ironically Addison is probably the spot where I see the biggest concentration of Black people in an environment that promotes a Work, live and play lifestyle. Addison though is a inner suburb of Dallas.

Houston has less walkable neighborhoods but again Black people are more visible in the more urban areas. Also Dallas doesn't really have an answer to 3rd Ward. They have black neighborhoods in the city but not the corridors like 3rd Ward full of Black establishments that attract Black middle class, Affluent, working class and even Black tourist.

Dallas probably has more neighborhoods you can live practically without a car. Both cities lack leisure foot traffic that comes with urban spaces though.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:02 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
MD no BS, if you are comparing the two based on a hypothetical move to one or the other then you won't find a similar experience to the northeast in either.

People go about their lives carless in both, but those are people are used to it.

Coming from the Northeast carless you are going to have a negative opinion of either city and will unfairly have a negative experience living in either.

Both cities are extremely hot. You can get where you are going by public transit in both but the sheer size of each area, the heat and the time it takes to get places by transit in either area will make you question your move.

Again, people do it every day without complaining. I have friends in both who go about without a car. But they have been doing it all their lives. If you plan on moving to those cities it is best to do so with a plan to get used to getting around by car. Your experience of either place will be a ton more favorable.

Don't get me wrong, a nice walkable neighborhood is a great amenityand it's better for physical and mental health. And Both cities will have pockets of that. But to fully experience the wealth of amenities in this places then I 110% recommend to figure out a car (whether it is personal or rideshare) in your planning.

Maybe you should list amenities you use on a frequent basis and then people can share their experiences.
For example, clothing shopping is really easy in either without a car.
Grocery shopping is relatively easy, but you would have to contend with high heat and maybe long traveling times depending on what you are buying.
Restaurants are trickier. You specify city in your OP but DFW has a wealth of varied restaurants in the burbs. Dallas city has a ton of ethnic restaurants too, but there is so much in the burbs that you would be missing out on if you are just looking at the city. Southwest Houston is easily the most ethnically diverse area in the State, but you are still going to be contending with high heat, humidity and bus transfers.

In summary, when in Rome do like the Romans do and When in Texas do like the Texans do. Expectations of your new home being like your old one will really hamper, or at least slow down you really enjoying your move.

If walkability is the #1 priority for you, I would not have those 2 cities at the top of my list. Move there for the cost of living, the diversity of culture, the cheaper housing, but not for walkability.

Both cities are severely shortchanged on city data because everyone keeps going on about density, public transit etc, but ignore the fact that that tens of thousands move to those cities and enjoy them for what they offer.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
MD no BS, if you are comparing the two based on a hypothetical move to one or the other then you won't find a similar experience to the northeast in either.

People go about their lives carless in both, but those are people are used to it.

Coming from the Northeast carless you are going to have a negative opinion of either city and will unfairly have a negative experience living in either.

Both cities are extremely hot. You can get where you are going by public transit in both but the sheer size of each area, the heat and the time it takes to get places by transit in either area will make you question your move.

Again, people do it every day without complaining. I have friends in both who go about without a car. But they have been doing it all their lives. If you plan on moving to those cities it is best to do so with a plan to get used to getting around by car. Your experience of either place will be a ton more favorable.

Don't get me wrong, a nice walkable neighborhood is a great amenityand it's better for physical and mental health. And Both cities will have pockets of that. But to fully experience the wealth of amenities in this places then I 110% recommend to figure out a car (whether it is personal or rideshare) in your planning.

Maybe you should list amenities you use on a frequent basis and then people can share their experiences.
For example, clothing shopping is really easy in either without a car.
Grocery shopping is relatively easy, but you would have to contend with high heat and maybe long traveling times depending on what you are buying.
Restaurants are trickier. You specify city in your OP but DFW has a wealth of varied restaurants in the burbs. Dallas city has a ton of ethnic restaurants too, but there is so much in the burbs that you would be missing out on if you are just looking at the city. Southwest Houston is easily the most ethnically diverse area in the State, but you are still going to be contending with high heat, humidity and bus transfers.

In summary, when in Rome do like the Romans do and When in Texas do like the Texans do. Expectations of your new home being like your old one will really hamper, or at least slow down you really enjoying your move.

If walkability is the #1 priority for you, I would not have those 2 cities at the top of my list. Move there for the cost of living, the diversity of culture, the cheaper housing, but not for walkability.

Both cities are severely shortchanged on city data because everyone keeps going on about density, public transit etc, but ignore the fact that that tens of thousands move to those cities and enjoy them for what they offer.
I’m not planning a move there, this comparison is really for informational purposes and a fun debate on the board. There has been a ton of developments in both cities for years so I’m sure there are urban options people can choose from. I don’t think anyone moving to Dallas or Houston would expect it to be built like a NE city. That doesn’t mean those neighborhoods lack urban options though. This comparison will hopefully highlight new options people aren’t aware of if you haven’t visited either place in a couple years.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This is tough. I think for what they have to offer, it's a tie. Dallas has Downtown Dallas, Uptown, Victory Park, Deep Ellum, Turtle Creek, Cedars (though still seedy but changing), and a couple areas that I'm likely forgetting. I'm thinking most Black Americans prefer Victory Park, Deep Ellum, Cedars, and maybe Downtown Dallas. Basically areas that truly are adjacent to downtown Dallas. Houston is practically the same but the footprint is a bit larger with Downtown Houston, Midtown, East Downtown, 3rd and 4th Wards, Museum District, Montrose, Rice Military, and probably a couple more. All of which are popular with Black Americans.

Dallas has better connectivity with their light rail going through most of those areas I named. I would also say Dallas has better cohesiveness whereas while Houston probably has more dense urban areas, they are like islands with minimum connectivity. Both are about the same with storefront activities but Houston does have areas with zero parking minimums unlike Dallas. Deep Ellum probably has the best entertainment district and Victory Park isn't that bad in itself. Houston isn't bad though with Midtown and Rice Military (Wash Ave corridor).

I think both are improving at a solid clip for young Black Americans so it's a hard to choose. If I must choose, I'd pick Dallas but I think Houston has the better potential if they work on cohesion and connectivity.
I was in Dallas in June and got to experience Deep Ellum. It was nice and I enjoyed the shops. We hung out at Harlow on the rooftop which was a vibe. There seemed to be new apartment buildings in the neighborhood.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:40 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I’m not planning a move there, this comparison is really for informational purposes and a fun debate on the board. There has been a ton of developments in both cities for years so I’m sure there are urban options people can choose from. I don’t think anyone moving to Dallas or Houston would expect it to be built like a NE city. That doesn’t mean those neighborhoods lack urban options though. This comparison will hopefully highlight new options people aren’t aware of if you haven’t visited either place in a couple years.
I gotcha. Well as long there is the expectation that they are not going to be be built like NE cities I agree with the previous posts. They are pretty close overall.

What I would say is Dallas is more ordered, while Houston is more haphazard. Houston will lay down a tower randomly.

The adjacent neighborhoods around DTD is more connected but Houston has the denser census tracks. Uptown Dallas flows more seamlessly while Midtown Houston has multiple clusters with drop offs in-between.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I gotcha. Well as long there is the expectation that they are not going to be be built like NE cities I agree with the previous posts. They are pretty close overall.

What I would say is Dallas is more ordered, while Houston is more haphazard. Houston will lay down a tower randomly.

The adjacent neighborhoods around DTD is more connected but Houston has the denser census tracks. Uptown Dallas flows more seamlessly while Midtown Houston has multiple clusters with drop offs in-between.
I looked at census block groups and census tracts in the City of Dallas and there weren't any with even a plurality of Black people for any census block groups or census tracts making over $75K. Most hovered around 15%-20% Black. Am I looking in the wrong areas in the City of Dallas?

What do you think could be done to make the City of Dallas more attractive to Black professionals? Being the minority in a neighborhood is fine, but 15% is very low? As Dallas builds all these new neighborhoods, I think it's important to talk about inclusion and equity. For an area attracting as many Black people as the Dallas MSA, it would be nice if more chose to live in the City of Dallas versus the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City