Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 08:13 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The difference here appears to be that suburbs are popular in DFW and Houston.

From hearing native Austinites upset about getting priced out of the city, you get the feeling they'd sooner move to different city than move out to the Austin burbs. Its not like Austin just materialized in a cosmic flash 30 years ago. Its been there for hundreds of years and its suburbs never boomed while Houston's and DFW's exploded.
This isn’t remotely true. Austin is like Houston was in 2000. Where half the metro was just the city limits. Austin already has bigger suburbs in Williamson County than Houston ever did anywhere else basically.

Leander, Pflugerville, Georgetown, Cedar Park are all likely to pass 100,000 by 2030. Kyle and San Marcos might do this as well. Hutto, Taylor, Buda, Liberty Hill, Elgin and Manor will all be pushing for that by 2040…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 10:26 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
West Campus has significant density. It’s density is roughly 35,000 ppsm and growing. Some of its census blocks are the densest parts of Texas if not the whole South at around 70,000 ppsm.
An 11,000 ppsm zip code (the next one down is 6000 ppsm) with fewer than 30,000 people living there in a metro that has become known for "don't move here, we're FULL" rhetoric?

That's not turning any heads nationally.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:28 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
An 11,000 ppsm zip code (the next one down is 6000 ppsm) with fewer than 30,000 people living there in a metro that has become known for "don't move here, we're FULL" rhetoric?

That's not turning any heads nationally.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s not anything crazy. But the most urban and densest neighborhood in Texas is certainly something. 70,000 ppsm census tract is definitely something.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:14 AM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
The general opinion of Austin's suburbs is vastly incorrect in these comments and shows out right ignorance of the Austin region on a personal level. Austin's suburbs have been outpacing Austin proper's growth rates for some time now.

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/c...s-city-agency/

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/c...census-bureau/

They are growing in amenities. Leander, Cedar Park and Round Rock are all designing mixed use developments which is hardly something most would consider undesirable. The people who are outcrying about moving to the burbs are the young singles who want to be close to Downtown where the party scene and greenbelts are located, but the burbs are not lacking in amenities or desirability otherwise they would not be growing as fast as they are.

They are also now attracting job growth with Dell, Samsung and Tesla not being in the city proper. Austin proper's foot print is also a relatively large one thus it encompasses more areas that are built in suburban fashion.

I particularly live in a NW Suburb which is about 25 miles out from the city center and it takes me aprox 25 - 30 minutes to reach Downtown Austin on most days. about 30 to the airport as well.

This is the difference between listening to the loud voices (outcrying singles mostly because they want to live near the green belts and city center) versus the quiet working joes who don't care about those amenities but need accessibility to jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Austin is both a northern growth metropolitan area and a southern growth metropolitan area. The growth on both sides is pretty equal all things considered. Hays County is just as fast growing as Williamson County, possibly slightly faster according to census information. Both counties are in the Top 5 fastest growing in the United States and both have cities in the Top 10 fastest growing in the United States.

San Antonio's growth is almost exclusively to the north and a little bit to the west. That said an Austin and San Antonio CSA will not be happening. The distance between both, downtown to downtown is still a significant 85 miles and it takes a large volume of people to meet that commuter threshold at 15%.
I won't deny that Hays county is growing rapidly, but WilCo is still considerably more developed and has better infrastructure overall. The other issue is, most of the tech jobs are skewed toward the northern side of the city.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 08-09-2022 at 11:23 AM..

Old 08-09-2022, 03:50 PM

73 posts, read 68,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Austin is both a northern growth metropolitan area and a southern growth metropolitan area. The growth on both sides is pretty equal all things considered. Hays County is just as fast growing as Williamson County, possibly slightly faster according to census information. Both counties are in the Top 5 fastest growing in the United States and both have cities in the Top 10 fastest growing in the United States.

San Antonio's growth is almost exclusively to the north and a little bit to the west. That said an Austin and San Antonio CSA will not be happening. The distance between both, downtown to downtown is still a significant 85 miles and it takes a large volume of people to meet that commuter threshold at 15%.

No.

Austin is 4th in the United States for population added in 2021 and 1st in the United States by percentage growth. It's also the only metropolitan area in the U.S. that is still adding as many people now as it did pre-COVID. It has been and still remains the fastest growing metropolitan area in the United States, something it has been for 22 years and counting. San Antonio is 8th in the United States in population gains in raw numbers and also well within the Top 10 in percentage gains. Yes, San Antonio's population growth has slowed down compared to the 2010s just as been the case to every U.S. metropolitan area minus Austin. That said, it's raw population growth is only a little bit down from its peak years, it is still adding over 35,000 people per year, which very few places in the United States are adding to their population gains.

Furthermore there has been a premature talk of an Austin and San Antonio CSA for 15 years, the discourse has nothing to do with the present state of population growth in these places or the United States.

And to your second statement, no, people are getting one of the safest major cities and metropolitan areas in the United States. Also one of the most educated with an economy at the forefront of the knowledge based transition. That sells itself.

The are between San Antonio & Austin that is undeveloped is quickly becoming urbanized. A large project north of New Braunels plans to add thousands of homes closer to San Marcos which is in Austin Metro Area. I live in San Marcos & drive to SA a lot.

San Antonio is growing more to the west than the north. Most of the housing permits are going to far west SA & getting closer to Castroville. North is still growing fast but not as fast as before. South/East San Antonio are finally growing more after years of not much growth in those areas.

You are correct that SA growth hasnt really slowed down as some people here have said.

Old 08-09-2022, 04:03 PM

73 posts, read 68,066 times
Quote:
Its a very confusing endgame.

As of today, Austin is pretty much a glorified Columbus (except Columbus is considerably denser).

Austin's slate of skyscrapers shows they are gunning for DFW and Houston with regards to being a corporate powerhouse.

You had significant complaining about congestion at times when Austin was Dakotas/New Mexico level density.

I'm seeing a similar trajectory as San Antonio-a city disproportionately large within a middling metro. I predict this because the city seems incredibly popular and the suburbs much less so. Living "only 20 minutes from downtown Austin" doesn't seem like its going to cut it for people who like this area.

I have always noticed that Austin always has a lot of out of state plates but recently I been noticing more of these out of state plates here in SA. A lot of people I know in the Austin area are choosing to move to SA due to how expensive Austin is now.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:15 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Where do you get this? The suburbs added 400k between 2010 and 2020. The metro grew by 33%, the most of any metro (and it was #3 in 2010 and #2 in 2000).
Fair enough, but I've never heard a suburb put forth as being a better place to live than Austin, whereas I have heard this for Dallas.

Old 08-10-2022, 01:30 AM

817 posts, read 627,620 times
I gotta say Las Vegas metro will hit the 4 million mark by 2040 or so. It's growing like crazy, and since Las Vegas is kinda dense and compact within Clark County, they will be forced to build up and not sprawl, high rises everywhere. Replace the monorail with an actual transit system similar to Chicago's CTA.

Old 08-10-2022, 01:57 AM

155 posts, read 127,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
I gotta say Las Vegas metro will hit the 4 million mark by 2040 or so. It's growing like crazy, and since Las Vegas is kinda dense and compact within Clark County, they will be forced to build up and not sprawl, high rises everywhere. Replace the monorail with an actual transit system similar to Chicago's CTA.
The only problem with LV is the water supply and potentially global warming. I don't know if LV can be sustainable in a few decades.

Old 08-12-2022, 01:05 AM

3 posts, read 1,633 times
St. Louis is listed, but probably will never reach 4 million, which is fine. I’m a local, born and raised.

Within a 75-mile radius (one hour drive of the Arch), there’s 3.2 million. Core metro is about 2.7 M, with another half-million exurbs / “satellite” towns. It does get pretty rural fast outside metro STL with good farm land surrounding it.

The key is St. Louis city - getting the density back up, stopping the population decline, and getting crime under control - first. You can’t grow a city with crime out of control.

St. Louis metro, while the COL is less than the USA as a whole, and while there are many good and upcoming building projects throughout the metro, will probably “officially” get to 3M by 2050, that’s an educated guess, but not much more than that.

Interestingly, metro St. Louis had 2.5 million around 1970, good for 10th largest. It hasn’t grown much in 50 years.

Just my thoughts and opinion. And to be truthful, ~3M people now is enough! You get to 4 million or so within the same geographical area, you start running into logistical problems, MORE traffic, and more headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City