Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 10:43 PM

13 posts, read 6,993 times

Advertisements

I would not have guessed that San Francisco gets more sunshine than San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 11:53 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Never spent much time in Florida but I'm really surprised to see a Floridian city being dead last for sunshine hours --- I don't really hear about vacations in Panama City but I have heard about them in Pensacola, which isn't too far away.

[edit: I'm dumb, this is all of North America, that's probably the one in Panama the country]

Old 08-12-2022, 12:48 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankScreen978 View Post
I would not have guessed that San Francisco gets more sunshine than San Diego.
It depends on where, in what part of the city are they measuring. Especially concerning SF and SD, if you are measuring directly on the coastal side of Point Loma in SD versus measuring on the bayside/embarcadero side of SF you will have "distorted" outcomes. They should measure the sunniest part of SF against the sunniest part of SD, or the cloudiest part of the SF against the cloudiest part of SD.

Here's the difference, it may be more cloudy, foggy, overcast in SD but a cloudy, overcast foggy SD is 5-10 degrees warmer than SF,with less wind, less "wind chill" and the water in the bay and beach in SD is warmer than SF all year long, especially in the summer over SF's bay and beach. And 5-10 degrees difference goes all long way concerning comfort level especially on the California coast.

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-12-2022 at 01:00 AM..

Old 08-12-2022, 12:59 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No real surprises at the top. I always thought Sac was the sunniest large metro in CA, now I see evidence of that.
The surprising twist with all that sun in Sacramento is that Sacramento also has one of the Coolest summertime mornings, nights, and evenings. Just a handful of major metros are as Cool as the 50's and 60's during those hours: SF Bay Area, Portland, Seattle, Denver and Sacramento. Most of the country is uncomfortably humid/hot during those hours, temps in the 70's and 80's.

They say Sacramento is the sunniest place on the planet in July.....hmmm

Old 08-12-2022, 07:54 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
There's no way you get the same sunshine hours in a year at say Point Vicente lighthouse that you would get in Riverside or San Bernardino. Marine layer will take those numbers down.
And significantly. West of the 405, you might not see the sun until 2-4pm on many days. It'll peak for a couple hours before going down. Meanwhile in the IE, the sun is shining bright by 10am. This makes a big difference.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:41 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
I love the amount Seattle gets. I can’t stand too much sun and find clouds and light rain to be comforting. Plus, it’s what makes the area so lush and green, unlike brown and dry California and most of the cities at the top of the list.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:25 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
The surprising twist with all that sun in Sacramento is that Sacramento also has one of the Coolest summertime mornings, nights, and evenings. Just a handful of major metros are as Cool as the 50's and 60's during those hours: SF Bay Area, Portland, Seattle, Denver and Sacramento. Most of the country is uncomfortably humid/hot during those hours, temps in the 70's and 80's.

They say Sacramento is the sunniest place on the planet in July.....hmmm
Sacramento is sunnier than both Cairo and Dubai

Old 08-14-2022, 08:48 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
You know, I had a normal childhood in Pittsburgh, and I remember plenty of days with sunshine, even including days on end. I wasn't aware that I was supposed to have a pity party because of the weather. I was too busy going outside and touching grass, especially when I saw the sun in the sky. Thanks to City Data for educating me otherwise, though.

Old 08-14-2022, 11:12 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Interesting list. I’ve looked into all these before but to see it here is nice firsthand. Personally, I’d want somewhere with NYC level of sun or less.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:58 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Btw, notice that Boston is the sunniest major city east of the Mississippi (Minneapolis) and north of the 36-37th parallel (VA Beach). Boston is sunnier than many people assume.
It very much is.

The position in which it sticks out in New England + distance from Lake effect squalls + at the basin of multiple hill/mountain ranges from NYS inwards + wind pattern make it not AS gloomy as one would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City