Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better food city?
Chicago 82 74.55%
Houston 28 25.45%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 03:07 PM

483 posts, read 244,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Reading View Post
You have got to be kidding on the Middle Eastern food in Chicago. The town of Bridgeview is loaded with authentic Middle Eastern food, and these pita places are everywhere. The Pita Inn is a chain which I think has good Middle Eastern, although more middle of the road. The Greek food scene is expanding rapidly, as well as the Asian.
This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 03:10 PM

483 posts, read 244,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Not sure about Houston, but Chicagoland has a long-standing large Filipino population. It’s not California or New York, but it’s definitely a cluster for Filipinos. I wasn’t aware of Houston having a large Filipino population, although I truly don’t know too much about their populations outside of California, NY/NJ, Chicago, VA Beach, and DMV.
The Texas cities in general have a Filipino presence due to the Navy bases and the weather. There are some solid Filipino places in Houston .

Forgot the name of it, but Chicago has the only Michelin star Filipino place in the US.

Old 10-18-2022, 03:14 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
The Texas cities in general have a Filipino presence due to the Navy bases and the weather. There are some solid Filipino places in Houston .

Forgot the name of it, but Chicago has the only Michelin star Filipino place in the US.
Yup, it's called Kasama. I used to volunteer in the Ukranian Village right by where it is. Lots of great buzz around it. Will be excited to check it out at some point.

Old 10-18-2022, 03:29 PM

829 posts, read 451,164 times
This one is tough for me as I love the food in both places and I’ve spent plenty of time in both over the last several years. I would say it depends on what one looks for in a good city. Chicago definitely wins on fine dining. I’d say Chicago also has a more unique and innovative local food scene as well. I do think the ethnic/international food scene overall is better in Houston though.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:52 PM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
Chicago, but not by a ton. Houston is very good for ethnic food and casual food; Chicago is better in formal dining, but in terms of casual dining, Houston may have an edge. I'd give a slight edge to Chicago for ethnic food.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:30 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Chicago, but not by a ton. Houston is very good for ethnic food and casual food; Chicago is better in formal dining, but in terms of casual dining, Houston may have an edge. I'd give a slight edge to Chicago for ethnic food.
Thoroughly disagree.

You must have never gone to a local pizza joint that does Chicago style THIN crust. They’re everywhere, just not as commonplace in the touristy areas. There’s all sorts of other regional specialities that make their way into local hole in the wall places in Chicago.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:33 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
I think it's time to bring back the Inter-American train service on the Houston leg so we can get more Chicago-Houston action. The jog through Illinois is in the midst of speed upgrades to 110 mph top speed. Maybe a nice overnight sleeper so you can do a day of eating in one place and a day of eating in the other.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:13 AM

85 posts, read 46,111 times
This is an easy one. Chicago but a country mile.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:15 AM

85 posts, read 46,111 times
By*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City