Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best metro area?
Dallas 2 3.23%
Houston 5 8.06%
Miami 3 4.84%
Seattle 29 46.77%
Tampa 5 8.06%
Orlando 1 1.61%
Nashville 6 9.68%
Austin 3 4.84%
Las Vegas 6 9.68%
San Antonio 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 09:08 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,291,397 times

Advertisements

What’s the best major major metropolitan area for someone who wants to live in a no income tax state?

Criteria
Economy:
Recreation:
Education:
Entertainment:
Dining:
Urbanity:
Weather:

(COL isn't a factor here.)

*Seattle is included because WA only has a tax on capital gains and it has a very high threshold before it applies.

Last edited by FL_Expert; 08-20-2022 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2022, 10:04 PM

My vote goes to Seattle with Miami as a close second.

Economy: Dallas, or maybe Miami.
Recreation: Seattle, by a wide margin.
Education: Seattle
Entertainment: Las Vegas or Orlando
Dining: Las Vegas, or maybe Austin.
Urbanity: Seattle
Weather: Nashville (I guess this is the least bad.)

Old 08-20-2022, 10:08 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Orlando has the most magical place on Earth, so 5 points to Gryffindor (which it also has natch).

Old 08-20-2022, 10:11 PM

1,867 posts, read 843,254 times
panama city fla

Old 08-20-2022, 10:15 PM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
Seattle for sure. I would put it at the top for every category except dining. WA is the only no income tax state I would live in.

Old 08-20-2022, 10:29 PM

219 posts, read 226,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
My vote goes to Seattle with Miami as a close second.

Economy: Dallas, or maybe Miami.
Recreation: Seattle, by a wide margin.
Education: Seattle
Entertainment: Las Vegas or Orlando
Dining: Las Vegas, or maybe Austin.
Urbanity: Seattle
Weather: Nashville (I guess this is the least bad.)
Austin doesn’t even have better dining than Houston in its own state.

Old 08-20-2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcity View Post
Austin doesn’t even have better dining than Houston in its own state.
Isn’t Austin known to have the best BBQ in Texas?

Old 08-21-2022, 12:02 AM

946 posts, read 566,826 times
Voted for Tampa. I'd like to live in Florida without dealing with all its problems in one city(Miami).

Old 08-21-2022, 01:07 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Seattle for sure. I would put it at the top for every category except dining. WA is the only no income tax state I would live in.
At least four of those cities have better entertainment than Seattle. I don't care for Seattle's weather either, Economy is definitely Dallas. However, this site loves Seattle.

Old 08-21-2022, 05:55 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
What’s the best major major metropolitan area for someone who wants to live in a no income tax state?

Criteria
Economy: Seattle, while smaller in overall economic size than Dallas, has perhaps more notable/innovative companies overall, and ranks 4th in the US in per capita income while Dallas, the next city down the list, ranks 12th. I'll lean towards Seattle with consideration for Dallas here, too.

Recreation: Are we, I'm assuming, talking parks and recreation, natural areas, hiking, etc, or general outdoor activities one might want to pursue? Obviously, the answer is going to be different for everyone, but to me personally the Top 3 would be Seattle followed by Vegas followed by Nashville.

Education: Hmmm... I'm torn here. Seattle stands out initially. Washington state ranks 11th for K-12 education, whereas Florida (16th), Tennessee (31st), Texas (35th) and Nevada (48th) are kinda down the line (USNWR). However (and I'm sure this sort of thing could be messed with, but Miami Metro ranks 2nd in the US only behind San Jose, with 57% of its schools ranking in the Top 25% nationally. Florida metro areas do pretty well here in general. Seattle is the most educated city, by the percentage of residents with a college degree, 44.1%. That's partially due to workforce attraction though. Houston and Nashville have the most elite school out of any of these, with Rice and Vanderbilt being the schools in these areas able to claim Ivy League status. However, it's worth looking at all levels. For that reason, I think I'm going to go with Miami here, surprising myself actually, but just paying attention to the metrics. MDC is the second largest single public university in the US, and serves the county and diverse area well with 8 campuses. https://www.mdc.edu/about/facts.aspxEntertainment: You can read more here, but honestly this motivates or matters more to me (access to opportunity, upwards mobility, etc.) overall to a city's/metro's health than having a single powerful Ivy level campus, IMO. FIU also does some great things, and you do have a fairly elite campus present in the form of UMiami also, even if not quite as esteemed in national rankings as Rice or Vandy. So, you have a little bit of everything in the area. This aspect Miami area really seems to be getting right, and it would seem to set it up for a brighter future.

Dining: Hmm... where can I get the most variety of "good" things... and it doesn't take me long here, if I was forced to only eat in one of these for an extended period of time, Houston, and I would not have to think hard about that. As American food, Mexican food, Asian food, Seafood, and other/ethnic food options come to mind, Houston has a pretty broad selection and is literally stronger than most or all these other places, in most of these areas.

Urbanity: Seattle and Miami are duking it out clearly above the others on this-to me, Seattle pound for pound is a little more human scaled/pedestrian vibrant, and a little (not a lot) more connected to wider region by transit, and so that's what I'd have to go with. But honestly, it's pretty close. I'm also thinking that Seattle has urbanized over the last 7-8 years since I last saw it. If I had to go with what I saw when in Miami in Nov 2021 and Mar 2022, vs. what I saw in Seattle in July 2014, I might just say Miami. But, I'm kinda leaning on the fact that Seattle has probably evolved and gotten more urbane, also.

Weather: So subjective lol, but for my tastes, I'll definitely say Seattle definitely. Nashville would probably be runner up, because of the seasons present and relative proximity to Appalachia (about 3 hours to climate altering mountains during the hot summers). Las Vegas I might actually put third, even though the summer months in the immediate city might be more miserable than some of the others, because of the fact that climate altering nature and topography is so close at hand, with Mount Charleston only 45 minutes out, and likely some other natural areas/mountains within a 3-4 hour radius where the climate would be completely different.

Looking back at my picks, some of which I'll definitely say were specific to me, I would have to say if cost weren't a factor, I'd probably live in Seattle of these, but if forced to think about cost, I'd give Nashville some serious thought (though, it ain't cheap either nowadays), and perhaps Las Vegas a little bit of thought. Miami (and frankly all of these cities) have reasonably positive qualities, but where I'm at now, my tastes and what I'm looking for would definitely lean towards places with an absence of a long stretch of hot months, and reasonable proximity to some level of topography, even at the expense of some other city related factors that I'll admit I would weigh, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City