Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 11:22 AM

471 posts, read 272,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Nooo, don't leave us, JamesJay! Haha.

IMO-- NYC is an amazing city to which no other compares. There's no questioning that. I think you'd just have to consider whether living there is really on your life bucket list, which would make a move worth it. For me, it is plenty good enough to have family and friends I visit there often, do a cool new thing each time I go, and then return home to Philadelphia. It sounds like you'll be fine financially either way, but yeah buying a house would be a better investment than renting for however long in NYC.

Also, consider the '23 mayor's race. There's so much potential for Philadelphia if we get things right in that election cycle. You can stay and help be a part of that change.

Anyways, I'm obviously biased. Follow your heart.
Lol I really do love living in Philly and I've had zero issues with crime. But besides NYC being on my bucket list and finally having the means to give it a try - I wish I just felt a little better about the direction Philly is headed. It seems like it's at such a crossroads of really taking off or starting to decline as its image gets worse and worse. It's strange how I can have a wonderful weekend in the city and then I open Facebook and see headlines like "VIOLENT AND CHAOTIC WEEKEND IN CENTER CITY." Living in Baltimore gave me my fill of being in a dying city, if I spend all my money on a home here it would nice to be (reasonably) sure that the city will at least stay as nice as it is today.

Agreed that this mayoral election is super important. Just not sure how much faith I have in people to vote for the best candidate.

My place still has to sell so I'm here for awhile at least
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 11:25 AM

471 posts, read 272,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Then you'll love NYC, if you love exploring.

New York City is so big, and there's just a nonstop amount of bars, restaurants, and entertainment options that constantly keep you busy. It's overwhelming with options, exciting and super energetic--so you'll love it, sounds like.

Take a look at Brooklyn, too. I live in the Carroll Gardens neighborhood and it's just absolutely lovely. Tree lined streets that are super quiet at night yet bars/restaurants/boutiques/entertainment just a few minute walk away. Manhattan is about 8 minutes by train.

And less expensive than most desirable areas in Manhattan.

This region of Brooklyn gives the best of both worlds: peace and quiet and a small town/bustling village vibe to escape to, and then Manhattan a few minutes away.
Thanks for the input! I'll definitely look more into Carroll Gardens. Most of my friends live in Williamsburg and Bedstuy as opposed to Manhattan anyway.

Old 09-07-2022, 02:25 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
Lol I really do love living in Philly and I've had zero issues with crime. But besides NYC being on my bucket list and finally having the means to give it a try - I wish I just felt a little better about the direction Philly is headed. It seems like it's at such a crossroads of really taking off or starting to decline as its image gets worse and worse. It's strange how I can have a wonderful weekend in the city and then I open Facebook and see headlines like "VIOLENT AND CHAOTIC WEEKEND IN CENTER CITY." Living in Baltimore gave me my fill of being in a dying city, if I spend all my money on a home here it would nice to be (reasonably) sure that the city will at least stay as nice as it is today.

Agreed that this mayoral election is super important. Just not sure how much faith I have in people to vote for the best candidate.

My place still has to sell so I'm here for awhile at least
I get your point, but literally every major city is on the verge of decline, and suffering from image problems.
Just Google big cities "Chicago" "Atlanta" "DC", etc., you will see numerous violent crimes stories. Recently drag racing took over Chicago's west loop and became violent and chaotic when police tried to shut it down.

Yes Philadelphia has crime issues that need to be addressed, but that does not equal a city in/near decline. All trends related to the economy, investment, jobs, development, construction, decreasing poverty, etc. say otherwise. I also enjoyed a weekend in Center City and did not encounter any issues, encountering crime is circumstantial (in any big city).

But yes, 2023 is a huge political year for the city, a new Mayor and now 4 council seats up for grabs.

A bit of good news... The loooong awaited $70M Alexander Calder Museum (now Garden) will soon break ground on the Parkway, largely funded by wealthy Philadelphians. That doesn't happen to a city in/near decline.

My post wasn't meant to be snippy, if it seems that way.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:34 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Relevant to the convo in that I don't see the city (or region) declining anytime soon.

New Yorkers keep moving to Philadelphia, and local Realtors say the influx has 'raised the bar'

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City