Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 07:16 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Yeah, Nashville isn't really a multicultural magnet though they do have a few unique groups that do go there is sizable numbers. The Kurds and Egyptians for example.
I'm thinking that may be more of Metro count where it may seem lower or watered down but by city level /Davidson county/ North Rutherford Co. it seems to pretty high, all i see is immigrants daily and large numbers at ground level. Even a pretty good number of African and West Indian populations in the area and hispanic is off the rack. I think it's tons of undocumented and not counted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 08:12 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veshyvonny View Post
Only Anglo-Saxons and other Northwestern Europeans are white. I don't even consider Italians and other Southern/Eastern Europeans white because those peoples actually have culture and they have very distinctive features than White people.
If Italian and Polish people aren't white, then Irish people aren't either.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:24 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I'm thinking that may be more of Metro count where it may seem lower or watered down but by city level /Davidson county/ North Rutherford Co. it seems to pretty high, all i see is immigrants daily and large numbers at ground level. Even a pretty good number of African and West Indian populations in the area and hispanic is off the rack. I think it's tons of undocumented and not counted.
Thing is that, if you give one metro area that benefit of a doubt, you have to do the same for all of them. The counts have a 5% margin of error so you can add 5% to any given group and still be in the realm. Still, by adding 5% to everything, Nashville doesn't really stand out besides the Kurdish and Egyptian counts.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:02 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
What will this do?
Will allow language services, state grants and cultural programming to be more appropriate.

Just saying Asian isn't adequate when Cambodians and Vietnamese have very different needs and income levels than Indians and Koreans.

Also "Black" populations in Lowell, Brockton, and Pittsfield are VERY different. So just saying black is not adequate to respond to community needs or potential cultural programming. Same for Latinos in Lawrence vs Springfield or Framingham. This allows Brazilians to be counted better- at least I hope it will.

For Whites- think he value is lesser but could be useful for immigrants and fist generations folks.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:12 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Thing is that, if you give one metro area that benefit of a doubt, you have to do the same for all of them. The counts have a 5% margin of error so you can add 5% to any given group and still be in the realm. Still, by adding 5% to everything, Nashville doesn't really stand out besides the Kurdish and Egyptian counts.
There is some truth to this and i think they are counted as non hispanic White, correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
There is some truth to this and i think they are counted as non hispanic White, correct me if i'm wrong.
Yes they are much to my chagrin. I fall into the non-Hispanic white category technically even though I am Lebanese Arab.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:41 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:
Yes they are much to my chagrin. I fall into the non-Hispanic white category technically even though I am Lebanese Arab.
Not to diminish your feelings necessarily, but I personally know a lot of Lebanese Americans who look very white and whom I’d have a hard time differentiating from traditionally white ethnic groups in the Mediterranean based on appearance.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Not to diminish your feelings necessarily, but I personally know a lot of Lebanese Americans who look very white and whom I’d have a hard time differentiating from traditionally white ethnic groups in the Mediterranean based on appearance.
All good, I know what you mean. It just depends on where our ancestors came from and which culture we identify with.

For me personally, mine were split between North Africa and France if 23 and Me is to be believed. If you saw me on the street, I could pass for North African, Lebanese, Italian, French, Greek, or Spanish among other things. I seem white but I also don't if that makes sense. I also get that Lebanese can pass for white but having Egyptians, Persians, and Berbers as "white" just seems off.

Probably makes it harder to tell considering I am covered in tattoos everywhere except where my long sleeves and pants cant cover.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:58 AM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Every big category has a wide range of people. They're categories, not coherent groups.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:59 AM

1,350 posts, read 882,136 times
Arabs and North Africans should be their own group similar to hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City