Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 08:54 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times

Advertisements

Boston's manufacturing was based upon textiles (and shoemaking) which collapsed decades earlier than heavy industry, because the movement of that sort of light industry to the U.S. South began in the early 20th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 10:43 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,047,788 times
I landed in Cambridge, Mass., in 1976 to attend college.

I'd say that by then, Boston had already fully recovered from the deindustrialization of the first decades of the 20th century. The computing revolution that made the beltway around the city, State Route 128, a buzzword akin to "Silicon Valley" now began in the 1950s, and there were a few other notable companies that developed new technologies that launched in Cambridge around the same time (remember Polaroid, the inventor of instant photography?).

The tourist-attraction show "Where's Boston?", developed for the Bicentennial, certainly took a celebratory tone towards the contemporary city.

Since then, IMO, what's been happening in Boston amounts to gilding the lily.

Old 09-26-2022, 12:17 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
Chicago is so recovered that there is question if it is even rustbelt, so I rank it first. There are still old warehouses for miles and miles. Whatever influence the city has on the rest of the world, it still has the rustbelt feel all over the place

Speaking of influence, I gotta acknowledge Detroit for the success of its Shinola watch company. Its headquarters or whatever downtown is an excellent looking building. It really helps Detroit’s reputation to have a store in Chicago’s Gold Coast next to a store from London. You see “Detroit” and “London” in the same glance and that is huge. Abandoned homes and unreliable cars are not always the first thing one associates with Detroit anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Disagree. Boston's economy never supported much manufacturing.
Both Chicago and Boston are rust-belt according to the following map: https://beltmag.com/wp-content/uploa...-belt-map1.jpg. Boston is displayed as recovered rust-belt. Regardless of how much a city has recovered, it is still rust-belt if it used to have its roots in manufacturing.

Not that there is anything wrong with being rust-belt, it is my favorite part of the US with the best atmosphere and architecture. Pictures like this one are pure art to me: https://s26162.pcdn.co/wp-content/up...09/Buffalo.jpg.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:03 PM

14,162 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Both Chicago and Boston are rust-belt according to the following map: https://beltmag.com/wp-content/uploa...-belt-map1.jpg. Boston is displayed as recovered rust-belt. Regardless of how much a city has recovered, it is still rust-belt if it used to have its roots in manufacturing.

Not that there is anything wrong with being rust-belt, it is my favorite part of the US with the best atmosphere and architecture. Pictures like this one are pure art to me: https://s26162.pcdn.co/wp-content/up...09/Buffalo.jpg.
I think that part of the confusion stems from the fact that the term "Rust Belt" didn't enter the language until the cities of the Great Lakes conurbation and surrounding areas (extending to St. Louis) deindustrialized in the 1970s. By then, New England's deindustrialization had long since run its course, Boston had already reinvented itself, and several other New England cities were either on the mend or on their way off the national radar.

Old 09-28-2022, 02:08 PM

114 posts, read 58,002 times
Quote:

For more knowlege on the American term now used even in Europe for regions there. A bit of history as how it came to be and why it is not sealed in stone or once one always one.

https://beltmag.com/why-rust-belt-matters/

Old 09-28-2022, 03:05 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:

I don't see how there could be any question that Chicago is rust belt, given its location and the fact that it lost nearly 1 million residents at the same time Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Detroit lost the majority of their residents.

Defenders will say, "well the people just migrated to the suburbs and the city just right-sized." I don't think that quite cuts it, as cities are usually pretty sensitive to any population loss, let alone massive ones.

The very non-glamorous manner in which Chicago's economy picked up steam is just one more notch on the rust belt board. A "full recovery" would be an excess of 3.6 million residents in the city, similar to NYC's recovery from the 1970's.

Old 09-29-2022, 04:44 PM

253 posts, read 122,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
A "full recovery" would be an excess of 3.6 million residents in the city, similar to NYC's recovery from the 1970's.
Recovery is only measured by number of butts?

Old 02-24-2023, 05:52 PM

5,469 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Yes. More of Rochester feels much livelier than more of Buffalo. The rot in ROC is much more contained and concentrated, and the boom in Buffalo likewise. ROC was a creators' town in terms of business development, and still factors into its culture.
I don't know that I agree with this. I don't think either city feels particularly lively anywhere. Were you including the suburbs in your mental calculations here?

Old 02-24-2023, 06:05 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I don't know that I agree with this. I don't think either city feels particularly lively anywhere. Were you including the suburbs in your mental calculations here?
For Rochester, the East End/SE Quadrant is more lively.

As for Buffalo, no love for Allentown, Elmwood Village, Hertel Ave., etc.?

Old 02-24-2023, 06:07 PM

5,469 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
For Rochester, the East End/SE Quadrant is more lively.

As for Buffalo, no love for Allentown, Elmwood Village, Hertel Ave., etc.?
I'm sitting in an Elmwood Village coffee shop as I type this. It's Friday night and the area is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City