Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who beats Austin on this metric?
Atlanta 30 62.50%
Charlotte 9 18.75%
Miami 20 41.67%
Houston 21 43.75%
Dallas 25 52.08%
Phoenix 10 20.83%
Raleigh 9 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 09:59 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Yea "South Bay" certainly should have been in my list. I'm not 100% sure on the dynamics of LA/Riverside, though I know my Dad spent some years growing up in San Bernardino and always described it as "LA". Then again he was a kid at the time. The one person I know from there always says "Southern California". DC/Baltimore are definitely separate, they just happen to overlap a bit in Howard County.

The Bay Area, on the other hand is one region all the way. Frankly if you are going to divide it into two separate areas it'd be SF proper (+ maybe Oakland) vs. the rest of the more suburban Bay Area. (I say that because living in San Francisco is actually a fundamentally different lifestyle from the living in the rest of the area. San Jose just isn't like this.)

The comp I would make for the Bay Area is DFW, with San Jose as the Fort Worth. Nobody in Arlington is calling themselves a Fort Worthian, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
I'm not 100% familiar with LA either...my only point is that at least there's a physical separation between the two, but not so much for SF vs. Santa Clara Co.

One of the reason why Inland Empire is always associated with LA though is that neither San Bernardino nor Riverside are exactly "city" themselves and even less so when you put it next to LA.

For me if you separate San Jose from SF you have to separate Oakland from SF also...if anything East Bay does not even feel the same as The Peninsula. Ultimately, though, you can't separate Oakland from SF, and thus, you just can't separate SJ from SF, either.

For Arlington - at worst I've heard "Dallas suburb" but most people from there will say they're from the "Metroplex" or "DFW Metroplex".

As for DC/Baltimore - they are definitely distinct from each other but only b/c Baltimore was actually the larger of the two for many years up until 1960s/1970s which fuels its identity. In the two Cal metro areas, San Jose was always smaller than SF and Inland Empire literally only grew b/c of cheap lands in the outskirt of LA.

I'm very familiar with LA and the Inland Empire regions and it's pretty common to basically just call it LA especially to someone who isn't strongly familiar with different parts of the area (otherwise, you'd likely say the municipality directly). LA's interesting in that city and the much larger count share a name and meanwhile the demarcation point between LA county's eastern border with urban San Bernardino and Riverside counties is imperceptible like so since it's all part of the same valley. Going to the north of San Fernando Valley through to the Antelope Valley, though still a part of LA County feels somewhat removed due to the geography. For San Bernardino and Riverside Counties, once you get pass the Pomona and San Bernardino valleys and other parts hemmed by the San Bernardino and San Jacinto mountains is when it's clearly no longer LA and that's a lot of area, though often pretty sparse. After all, San Bernardino and Riverside Counties cover over 27,000 square miles (not a typo) and only some singe digit percentage of that on it southwesternmost fringe is part of the contiguous LA urban area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 10:33 AM

1,204 posts, read 794,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm very familiar with LA and the Inland Empire regions and it's pretty common to basically just call it LA especially to someone who isn't strongly familiar with different parts of the area (otherwise, you'd likely say the municipality directly). LA's interesting in that city and the much larger count share a name and meanwhile the demarcation point between LA county's eastern border with urban San Bernardino and Riverside counties is imperceptible like so since it's all part of the same valley. Going to the north of San Fernando Valley through to the Antelope Valley, though still a part of LA County feels somewhat removed due to the geography. For San Bernardino and Riverside Counties, once you get pass the Pomona and San Bernardino valleys and other parts hemmed by the San Bernardino and San Jacinto mountains is when it's clearly no longer LA and that's a lot of area, though often pretty sparse. After all, San Bernardino and Riverside Counties cover over 27,000 square miles (not a typo) and only some singe digit percentage of that on it southwesternmost fringe is part of the contiguous LA urban area.
True...and quite frankly I would say it's not really truly "San Bernardino" or "Riverside" until you get to I-15 anyway (The transition I would say starts around Ontario), so basically half of the urbanized SB/Riverside Co are more or less LA...

And yes, I'm aware of the crazy size of the two counties - including the fact that Palm Springs (Coachella Valley overall) get pull into Inland Empire for statistics even though it's definitely a distinct area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City