Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who beats Austin on this metric?
Atlanta 30 62.50%
Charlotte 9 18.75%
Miami 20 41.67%
Houston 21 43.75%
Dallas 25 52.08%
Phoenix 10 20.83%
Raleigh 9 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 01:10 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,718 times

Advertisements

Austin is starting to resemble an expensive west coast city, do you think it is the most wealthy sunbelt metro pound for pound?

And do you think it is positioned to become another Seattle and leapfrog the large metros in the south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 06:39 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Austin is starting to resemble an expensive west coast city, do you think it is the most wealthy sunbelt metro pound for pound?

And do you think it is positioned to become another Seattle and leapfrog the large metros in the south?
Its GDP is smaller than all of the poll options except one, and also smaller than Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Portland, to name a few.

With regards to housing prices, the big difference is that the west coast metros have proven that they can sustain their prices, while is almost universally agreed that Austin is one of the nation's most overvalued markets.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:15 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Its GDP is smaller than all of the poll options except one, and also smaller than Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Portland, to name a few.

With regards to housing prices, the big difference is that the west coast metros have proven that they can sustain their prices, while is almost universally agreed that Austin is one of the nation's most overvalued markets.

When people say pound for pound, this usually means some kind of adjustment for size in terms of some denominator. I think in the case of GDP, it'd probably be something like GDP *per capita* rather than total raw GDP. That'd be something like this or this where Austin does do pretty well compared to the other cities the OP mentioned.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:26 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
When people say pound for pound, this usually means some kind of adjustment for size in terms of some denominator. I think in the case of GDP, it'd probably be something like GDP *per capita* rather than total raw GDP. That'd be something like this or this where Austin does do pretty well compared to the other cities the OP mentioned.
There are a lot of people who just flat don't like Austin because of the attention it receives. Some of them have never even been there. I do think Austin and Raleigh have some of the highest per capita income among sun belt cities.

To answer to OPs question, I don't see Austin ever leaping over Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta. Those cities have far too big of a lead and will get first looks for corporate relocations. Austin's too nichey. It's focus is on tech, government, education and music festivals with overrated bands.

And football. But we're pretty bad at that right now.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:29 AM

833 posts, read 453,517 times
I'd say Austin already is the wealthiest pound for pound depending on the metrics you use.

I went ahead and calculated the real GDP per capita for each of these MSAs for 2020 and these were the results.

GDP is for MSA in thousands of dollars
Population is for MSA from 2020 census

Austin real GDP: $148,884,107
Austin population: 2,283,371
Austin real GDP per cap: $65,204

Atlanta real GDP: $369,863,934
Atlanta population: 6,089,815
Atlanta real GDP per cap: $60,735

Charlotte real GDP: $153,401,791
Charlotte population: 2,660,329
Charlotte real GDP per cap: $57,663

Miami real GDP: $311,361,739
Miami population: 6,138,333
Miami real GDP per cap: $50,724

Houston real GDP: $455,302,437
Houston population: 7,122,240
Houston real GDP per cap: $63,927

Dallas real GDP: $477,022,901
Dallas population: 7,637,387
Dallas real GDP per cap: $62,459

Phoenix real GDP: $240,714,251
Phoenix population: 4,845,832
Phoenix real GDP per cap: $49,674

Raleigh real GDP: $83,456,601
Raleigh population: 1,413,982
Raleigh real GDP per cap: $59,022

Thus the ranking would look like this

Austin
Houston
Dallas
Atlanta
Raleigh
Charlotte
Miami
Phoenix

source: https://apps.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.c...suri=1&acrdn=5

I also went ahead and found the per capita personal income of each of these MSAs in 2020 as well and the ranking looks like this

Austin: $64,913
Miami: $64,190
Dallas: $61,554
Raleigh: $60,884
Houston: $59,893
Atlanta: $58,773
Charlotte: $56,682
Phoenix: $51,851

source: https://apps.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.c...suri=1&acrdn=6

Old 09-29-2022, 08:42 AM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times
On a per-capita level, because Austin is heavily focused on high-end tech as well as Government operations, it is very difficult to beat because it doesn't have much in the way of low to mid-career level opportunities. In this aspect, Austin very much reminds me of Seattle. DFW and Houston suck up operations & logistics like vacuums and Austin isn't geographically suited for either of them so its growth will likely remain catered to tech.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:42 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
pound for pound, absolutely

Old 09-29-2022, 08:45 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
On a per-capita level, because Austin is heavily focused on high-end tech as well as Government operations, it is very difficult to beat because it doesn't have much in the way of low to mid-career level opportunities. In this aspect, Austin very much reminds me of Seattle.
Agreed. This is what I love about Austin but also what I hate about Austin. It would be cool if San Antonio were a little closer to balance them out

Old 09-29-2022, 08:53 AM

1,204 posts, read 794,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
There are a lot of people who just flat don't like Austin because of the attention it receives. Some of them have never even been there. I do think Austin and Raleigh have some of the highest per capita income among sun belt cities.

To answer to OPs question, I don't see Austin ever leaping over Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta. Those cities have far too big of a lead and will get first looks for corporate relocations. Austin's too nichey. It's focus is on tech, government, education and music festivals with overrated bands.

Agree with overall - Atlanta/DFW/Houston are more than 2x larger and of course will always feel more "wealthy" as there will always be more wealthy people (in raw number) even if you have the same percentage of wealthy people.

And I wouldn't say "hate" but I find ATX tend to be overrated on city-data as people talk it up to the point that it's somehow now on par with the like of SF or Boston even in raw numbers. Sure, it's a nice metro area with lots of people moving there (often from rest of Texas anyway...and California) with a prospering economy, but it's still a mid-size metro ultimately and would not become a giant 7M metro area alas Houston/DFW overnight (plus do ATX really want all those Houston-like crimes?)

P.S. Let's just not talk about Longhorns football...sigh...

Old 09-29-2022, 09:02 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

I agree with the large current size difference makes a total leapfrog possible in our lifetimes though I disagree with the idea that Austin is too niche-y. If anything, I think Austin in some ways is far more diversified because of the broader balance of public and private sector and the general categories you mentioned of tech, government, education, and tourism (to a lesser extent) can internally by themselves cover a very diverse array of fields since tech, government, and education, notably higher education with a strong research component, can overlap into many different fields and sectors with the letter two having a higher degree of stability even in economic downturns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City