Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 08:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think he's only saying it is right to include Baltimore along with DC on this list. To say Washington is reaching nearly 1 trillion is only true if you include it by mentioning Washington-Baltimore.
But that's already known, so it's personal preference based on semantics basically The OP is pretty clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, every state has GDPs well passed pre-pandemic levels.

From bea.gov

State GDP Q2 2019---Q2 2022
CA----------$3.028T----$3.558T
TX----------$1.848.T---$2.354T
NY----------$1.789T----$2.034T
FL-----------$1.103T----$1.371T
IL-----------$886.4B----$1.024T

Illinois has surpassed $1T in fact and I'm assuming most of that is in Chicagoland.
Is the full list for Q2 2022 out by state already? I'm having trouble finding totals on bea.gov.

Old 10-18-2022, 09:26 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Is the full list for Q2 2022 out by state already? I'm having trouble finding totals on bea.gov.
Yes,

go to bea.gov

click on tools tab
click on interactive data
click in 'gross domestic product' under 'regional data'
click on 'interactive data tables'
click on 'quarterly gross domestic product(gdp) by state'
click on 'gdp in current dollars'

then select 'all areas'
then select 'gross domestic product(gdp) by state: all industry total

click on 'next step'

select the years you would like to examine. I selected 2022-2019

click on 'next step'

the scrollable table will appear displaying every state alphabetically, and the annualized gdp for every quarter of that year, up until Q2 2022

Old 10-19-2022, 08:02 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Sorry Montclair going to repost:

ALL of these cities are CSA's...The city name you see is the lead "City" in it's CSA. Washington is the lead city of its CSA. The OP just used the name of the lead city for each.

2022 GDP/ CSA or Uncombined MSA in Billions of Dollars:
$2,422 New York
$1,510 Los Angeles
$1,383 San Francisco
$940 Washington
$837 Chicago
$808 Boston
$682 Dallas
$598 Houston
$588 Philadelphia
$583 Seattle

https://kenaninstitute.unc.edu/wp-co...-10122022r.pdf
Of the top 10 (CSA), is it me or does Houston seem rather low?
I guess I didn't realize how close Philadelphia and Seattle were, considering a significant size/population difference.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:05 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
I know the data lists the "Lead City", but it would have saved at least 1 page of arguing if that was mentioned in the OP. Or if the secondary city were added to those that apply. In the case of DC, Baltimore is a huge chunk of the CSA, but always gets shafted.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:14 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Great job, Indianapolis, at edging out Pittsburgh! Indianapolis gets flamed a ton on this forum, but at least now it can have some bragging rights as being more economically dominant than Pittsburgh. That's a pretty big deal.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:33 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I know the data lists the "Lead City", but it would have saved at least 1 page of arguing if that was mentioned in the OP. Or if the secondary city were added to those that apply. In the case of DC, Baltimore is a huge chunk of the CSA, but always gets shafted.
Yeah I think that was what atadytic19 was trying to say.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:44 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Of the top 10 (CSA), is it me or does Houston seem rather low?
I guess I didn't realize how close Philadelphia and Seattle were, considering a significant size/population difference.
Houston is one of those cities where the CSA and MSA are basically the same. So it drops down the list cause it doesn’t have a Providence or Akron or Ann Arbor or San Jose to prop it up

Old 10-19-2022, 09:07 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah I think that was what atadytic19 was trying to say.
Yep, they do it all the time. First they refer to the entire CSA as the lead city then they start saying things like this city is bigger than that one or this city is more important than that one. Then other posters runaway with it as a means to brag.

It is correct to say the DC- Baltimore region is more populous or has a bigger GDP than Chicago. In no way is DC bigger than Chicago.

People may ask what the big deal is, or say that it is implied by the title. But the big deal is perception. Many CSAs don't add much. It's just the principal city and some much smaller areas. Chicago's CSA for example doesn't really add much so referring to the MSA or CSA add Chicago is no big deal. I don't even see it as a big deal to refer to Los Angeles and Riverside as the LA CSA or just LA or SF and is support cast as the SF Bay Area.

But Baltimore predates Boston. It is a highly important city in US history. Our freaking National Anthem was written about Baltimore so yeah it is in association with DC and not just there to pad its numbers.

The same with Providence. It is certainly an independent city with its own history and it is not a burb of Boston..

CSAs are very useful in terms of marketing, funding or to ascertain the heft of an area. It was never meant to be used as a measuring stick for city vs city battles as it focuses on associations of cities rather than one grand dame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Houston is one of those cities where the CSA and MSA are basically the same. So it drops down the list cause it doesn’t have a Providence or Akron or Ann Arbor or San Jose to prop it up
Yes, Houston CSA adds about 100k rural residents while places like the SF Bay combines 2 dozen million plus MSAs, or the DC- Baltimore area than adds over 3M to DC. Even DFW the CSA adds 5 times as many residents as Houston's add. In fact the GDP listed for Houstons CSA is usually the same as listed for its MSA as the CSA is just rural commuters

Old 10-19-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes,

go to bea.gov

click on tools tab
click on interactive data
click in 'gross domestic product' under 'regional data'
click on 'interactive data tables'
click on 'quarterly gross domestic product(gdp) by state'
click on 'gdp in current dollars'

then select 'all areas'
then select 'gross domestic product(gdp) by state: all industry total

click on 'next step'

select the years you would like to examine. I selected 2022-2019

click on 'next step'

the scrollable table will appear displaying every state alphabetically, and the annualized gdp for every quarter of that year, up until Q2 2022
yeah this worked for me, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City