Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Based on the criteria which one?
Miami Beach, Florida 24 40.00%
Santa Monica, California 36 60.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 02:25 PM

1,260 posts, read 944,876 times

Advertisements

These cities have a lot similarities in terms of size, being urban dense vibrant beach cities that border large world renowned cities, they both have well known pedestrian streets, warm weather, etc. How would you rate these against each other on the criteria below? Also if you vote in the poll exclude Los Angeles and Miami as deciding factors and pretend that these two cities exist on their own without Miami or LA attached to them.
  • Beaches
  • Walkablity
  • Culture
  • Weather
  • People
  • Shopping
  • Food
  • Architecture
  • Nightlife
  • Diversity
  • Pedestrian Street (Lincoln Road, Miami Beach vs. 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica)
  • Ocean Front Street (Ocean Drive, Miami Beach vs. Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica)
  • Uniqueness
  • Vibrance
  • Economy
  • Scenery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 02:08 PM

45 posts, read 42,893 times
Miami Beach felt like place to party, have fun, and to flex. It also didn't feel oriented toward being family-friendly.

Santa Monica is touristy as well, but I would not describe it as being a place to party nor a place to flex. It's a major employment center for a lot of tech companies and startups. Large swathes of it are residential with single-family homes. The city is largely asleep by 10pm with the exception of a handful of bars scattered here and there.

Old 11-10-2022, 02:30 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
To vacation, Miami Beach by far.

To live, Santa Monica by far.

Old 11-10-2022, 02:35 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Sounds like you described South Beach which is but one section of Miami Beach….there are plenty of other quieter, non touristy SFH areas of the beach (including the various barrier islands such as Star, Hibiscus, Palm, The Venetians, Sunset, Fisher, Indian Creek, La Gorce, etc) though be prepared to spend a King’s ransom as well as mid beach, North Beach, Bay Harbor and Surfside (some waterfront high rises will also cost a fortune).

That being said these are 2 of my favorite areas in FL and CA.

I agree that Miami Beach has more of a lively, vibrant feel (certainly SoBe), is unique with its Art Deco architecture and exotic Latin vibe, and is probably a better place to bring wealth earned elsewhere whereas Santa Monica would be a better place to start out and/or make money for the average person.

Miami Beach does not have the visible homeless epidemic that plagues all CA urban cities, including SM. If you are a 1%’er, and into boating, Miami Beach also offers you the opportunity to dock your yacht in many of the sections described above and/or in marinas. MB also affords more high rise living along its beaches.

Santa Monica will have a more temperate climate during the summer whereas MB is ideal from now through mid May. SM is better for surfing yet MB is better year round for body surfing and swimming due to warmer ocean temperatures that do not require a wetsuit.

SM does have The Pacific, mountains in the background and bluffs whereas MB does have the beautiful, turquoise Atlantic; watching the cruise ships heading out to sea from South Pointe Park; and killer views of Biscayne Bay and the downtown Miami skyline from west facing and some barrier islands locations.

Less familiar with SM cultural events but MB has Art Basel (largest art show in North America), Art Deco Weekend, SoBe Wine & Food Festival (largest event in US of its kind), International Boat Show, International Auto Show, Swim Week, and other events throughout the year.

Both have highly walkable areas, including along the beach (and elsewhere).

The SoBe section of Miami Beach is world renowned for its nightlife and nightclubs.

Both have the exact same number of Michelin rated restaurants: 17. SM does a better job with higher quality, lower priced restaurants (even if some are chains, such as Tender Greens).

Shopping depends upon if you include Bal Harbour—located at the northern tip of Miami Beach, though an independent village. If not, Lincoln Road Mall and Promenade are equal corporate store malls. Montana Avenue does have some trendy boutiques that might give SM the edge IF we do not include Bal Harbour Shops.

Overall, my preference is Miami Beach—more unique, exotic, exciting and closer to many more countries that I vacation in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedUrbanist View Post
Miami Beach felt like place to party, have fun, and to flex. It also didn't feel oriented toward being family-friendly.

Santa Monica is touristy as well, but I would not describe it as being a place to party nor a place to flex. It's a major employment center for a lot of tech companies and startups. Large swathes of it are residential with single-family homes. The city is largely asleep by 10pm with the exception of a handful of bars scattered here and there.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-10-2022 at 04:05 PM..

Old 11-10-2022, 03:32 PM

1,044 posts, read 567,320 times
In a nutshell:

Santa Monica wins over more brains and more innovation; Miami Beach wins over more consumption more flaunting wealth. (Or more physical beauty.)

Santa Monica is where The Recording Academy is (which presents the annual Grammy Awards.); Miami Beach is where the Grammy Award attendees would go blow off the steam and party.

The NPR headquarter is in Santa Monica; Miami Beach is where big name DJs like Calvin Harris (who I do not care.) would either live or give gigs.

Not-so-subtle differences.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:03 PM

10,063 posts, read 14,439,885 times
My take--

Beaches - Miami Beach is a bit better overall. Just due to being able to get into the warmer, more clear water. The Pacific here in southern California is too choppy and sometimes too murky for my taste. Bigger waves in California though

Walkablity - Miami Beach edges Santa Monica for this, overall

Culture - Miami Beach barely

Weather - Santa Monica is much better climate-wise, year-round. Miami Beach is too muggy far too many months during the year

People - Friendlier people in Santa Monica, in my experience

Shopping - giving the edge to Miami Beach, although they are both close

Food - giving the edge to Santa Monica. Miami Beach has some very good establishments, but Miami Beach can be SUPER expensive if you don't watch out where you land to eat

Architecture - Miami Beach due to the gorgeous art deco style

Nightlife - Miami Beach wins here

Diversity - Santa Monica barely wins--both are cosmopolitan and diverse, however

Pedestrian Street (Lincoln Road, Miami Beach vs. 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica) - I prefer 3rd Street Promenade

Ocean Front Street (Ocean Drive, Miami Beach vs. Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica) - I prefer Miami Beach here

Uniqueness - Miami Beach barely wins due to architecture

Vibrance - gonna give the edge to Miami Beach due to bars and clubs

Economy - Santa Monica. Higher wages overall and bigger city in LA that pays WAY better than Miami

Scenery - Santa Monica has much better scenery--mountains and beach

Old 11-10-2022, 04:47 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

This.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:56 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Probably SM on paper, but I honestly felt unsafe last time I was down at the Third St Promenade due to the homeless/druggies there. It wasn’t at all like how I remembered it as a kid in the late 90s, I’m sure it was still there to some extent but nothing like how it is now.

I’ve not been to the actual pedestrian area of Miami Beach, but other pedestrian areas I’ve been to like Fort Lauderdale / Sebastian Beach have nowhere near the sorts of blight issues that SoCal beach cities have. Not sure if they’ve improved the promenade area at all in SM but I wouldn’t want to go back if they haven’t.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:58 PM

393 posts, read 261,757 times
Miami Beach, if it wasn't for the threat of hurricanes.

Old 11-18-2022, 04:48 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I don’t even like Miami Beach for vacationing, and I’m not terribly fond of the Miami area in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
My take--

Beaches - Miami Beach is a bit better overall. Just due to being able to get into the warmer, more clear water. The Pacific here in southern California is too choppy and sometimes too murky for my taste. Bigger waves in California though

Walkablity - Miami Beach edges Santa Monica for this, overall

Culture - Miami Beach barely

Weather - Santa Monica is much better climate-wise, year-round. Miami Beach is too muggy far too many months during the year

People - Friendlier people in Santa Monica, in my experience

Shopping - giving the edge to Miami Beach, although they are both close

Food - giving the edge to Santa Monica. Miami Beach has some very good establishments, but Miami Beach can be SUPER expensive if you don't watch out where you land to eat

Architecture - Miami Beach due to the gorgeous art deco style

Nightlife - Miami Beach wins here

Diversity - Santa Monica barely wins--both are cosmopolitan and diverse, however

Pedestrian Street (Lincoln Road, Miami Beach vs. 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica) - I prefer 3rd Street Promenade

Ocean Front Street (Ocean Drive, Miami Beach vs. Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica) - I prefer Miami Beach here

Uniqueness - Miami Beach barely wins due to architecture

Vibrance - gonna give the edge to Miami Beach due to bars and clubs

Economy - Santa Monica. Higher wages overall and bigger city in LA that pays WAY better than Miami

Scenery - Santa Monica has much better scenery--mountains and beach
I much prefer Santa Monica, but I agree with you on Miami Beach winning for beaches, walkability, nightlife, and uniqueness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City