Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CoL, Bikabiliy, weather, job market
Salt Lake City 11 24.44%
Philadelphia 19 42.22%
Pittsburgh 11 24.44%
Columbus 1 2.22%
Minneapolis 3 6.67%
Grand Rapids 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 09:21 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton93 View Post
I guess my biggest concern with Philly is the crime. I hear is a grimy/dirty city. High population of poor and homeless. Im guessing living in the right place would avoid that. To be fair I live in durham, NC and there are areas I dont stop at, but the downtown area is safe and well kept.

I've seen crazy videos come out of the city. Not sure if its unusually bad or just normal for a city that size.
Most big cities have been hit with an unfortunate crime wave over the past couple of years, but a few things to consider:

1. As much as it's sad to admit, Philadelphia is really a "tale of two cities." Your statistical likelihood of falling victim to a violent crime is very heavily dependent on your place of residence or frequenting within the city. Unless you plan on living in the 25% poorest census tracts of the city (i.e., neighborhoods in upper North Philadelphia, far West Philadelphia or Southwest Philadelphia), you're very much steering clear of the vast majority of the drama.

2. I'm knocking on wood, but violent crime does appear to be tamping down a bit as 2022 draws to a close. We all hope that continues to be the case. It's nowhere near what it should be, but progress is still a good thing.

3. No amount of YouTubing or Streetviewing replaces an in-person visit. Come take a look yourself, and get a feel for the "vibes." It's very common for outsiders to come to the conclusion that the city is far more pleasant than the reputation that preceded it.

On this point, I really hate to interject politics, but it's more than obvious in this case: ever since 2020 election debacle, there's been a particular relentless attack on Philadelphia from national right-wing media outlets, which has seeped in to mainstream media in some cases. It's done the city no favors on the PR front, and Philadelphia gained a lot of detractors from one side of the political spectrum. Just understand that in many, if not most cases, the folks who peddle blatant negativity about Philadelphia have a certain agenda, and there's still lots of sour grapes about the national prevailing electoral trends that they blame squarely on the "big city" in a "battleground" state. Take that as you will.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-21-2022 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 08:37 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Most big cities have been hit with an unfortunate crime wave over the past couple of years, but a few things to consider:

1. As much as it's sad to admit, Philadelphia is really a "tale of two cities." Your statistical likelihood of falling victim to a violent crime is very heavily dependent on your place of residence or frequenting within the city. Unless you plan on living in the 25% poorest census tracts of the city (i.e., neighborhoods in upper North Philadelphia, far West Philadelphia or Southwest Philadelphia), you're very much steering clear of the vast majority of the drama.

2. I'm knocking on wood, but violent crime does appear to be tamping down a bit as 2022 draws to a close. We all hope that continues to be the case. It's nowhere near what it should be, but progress is still a good thing.

3. No amount of YouTubing or Streetviewing replaces an in-person visit. Come take a look yourself, and get a feel for the "vibes." It's very common for outsiders to come to the conclusion that the city is far more pleasant than the reputation that preceded it.

On this point, I really hate to interject politics, but it's more than obvious in this case: ever since 2020 election debacle, there's been a particular relentless attack on Philadelphia from national right-wing media outlets, which has seeped in to mainstream media in some cases. It's done the city no favors on the PR front, and Philadelphia gained a lot of detractors from one side of the political spectrum. Just understand that in many, if not most cases, the folks who peddle blatant negativity about Philadelphia have a certain agenda, and there's still lots of sour grapes about the national prevailing electoral trends that they blame squarely on the "big city" in a "battleground" state. Take that as you will.
Can't +1 you again yet, but your last paragraph makes good points about the "bad things happen in Philadelphia" crowd.

Given that everyone else has already said everything I might have said in a reply, I won't pile on except to say, What they all said about Philadelphia.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:31 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton93 View Post
thanks for the input!

I guess my biggest concern with Philly is the crime. I hear is a grimy/dirty city. High population of poor and homeless. Im guessing living in the right place would avoid that. To be fair I live in durham, NC and there are areas I dont stop at, but the downtown area is safe and well kept.

I've seen crazy videos come out of the city. Not sure if its unusually bad or just normal for a city that size.
Very true. The city has several crime ridden and run down areas. I would be concerned about crime despite the city being above the others in other categories.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/6abc.co...-fbi/12470319/

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20221114.html

It is also dark and gloomy for the cold weather months. Many of the streets are missing lights. I know the city, though, has a three year plan to convert the lights to LED.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/street...-20211130.html

Old 11-21-2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Very true. The city has several crime ridden and run down areas. I would be concerned about crime despite the city being above the others in other categories.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/6abc.co...-fbi/12470319/

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20221114.html

It is also dark and gloomy for the cold weather months. Many of the streets are missing lights. I know the city, though, has a three year plan to convert the lights to LED.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/street...-20211130.html
Whatever problems this city has, unlit streets really aren't one of them. I'm glad the sodium-vapor lights are being replaced, but I recently started a back-and-forth on Facebook when I posted a photo of new LED pedestal lamps in Chestnut Hill that have the warm color temperature of incandescent light and wondered whether the Streets Department couldn't install more of these LED arrays as opposed to the harsh bluish-white ones.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:20 AM

17,245 posts, read 15,446,776 times
Philadelphia wins. It's where we were born and raised, on the playground spending most of our days.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:17 PM

365 posts, read 231,150 times
To me it should come down to Denver or Philly for you:

- Denver is a place for people who really value having easy access to mountains and other natural environments. The city itself is nice, with some great neighborhoods and a of lot the amenities you'd want in a big city. It has a very strong marijuana and craft beer culture comparable to West Coast cities like San Francisco, Portland, Seattle and San Diego. The vibe is generally laid back and friendly, with a lot of transplant. Restaurant scene has improved significantly but its not top tier. It's not boring by any means but don't expect the most exciting city in the world and things do shut down pretty early. But again I come back nature as the big draw, as to what truly makes Denver special. The Rockies and Colorado in general are majestic and it's all right there at your doorstep, to enjoy in a climate that has a ton of sunny days. Of course, if you like skiing or snowboarding, you have relatively easy access to some of the best in the country.

- Philly is a place for people who really value excellent urban amenities at a somewhat affordable price. You've got dozens of awesome urban neighborhoods, great restaurants and bars, good nightlife, world class museums and other attractions. Lots of places in the city to explore, although you do need to be aware of your surroundings. Most people who live there are from the area, there's a strong local culture for sure but people are pretty welcoming. Food is awesome, streets are vibrant, /people are generally no nonsense but inclusive -if you are a true "city" city person then Philly is definitely
more for you.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:28 AM

130 posts, read 86,733 times
A lot of people on here talk about SLC with no actual experience of it and based of assumptions of what it was like 30 years so. I lived in SF and it does not feel like SLC is really any less progressive in the city. SLC proper is only around 20% Mormon. Outside of the city in the suburbs it’s definitely more conservative. And statewide is very conservative. Utah often is ranked as the best economy in the nation and the access to mountains and outdoor recreation is closer in SLC than the other cities. Also the air quality is worse in several large cities, the air quality in Denver is worse on average.

Old 11-24-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallVegan View Post
A lot of people on here talk about SLC with no actual experience of it and based of assumptions of what it was like 30 years so. I lived in SF and it does not feel like SLC is really any less progressive in the city. SLC proper is only around 20% Mormon. Outside of the city in the suburbs it’s definitely more conservative. And statewide is very conservative. Utah often is ranked as the best economy in the nation and the access to mountains and outdoor recreation is closer in SLC than the other cities. Also the air quality is worse in several large cities, the air quality in Denver is worse on average.
One of my protégés interned at the Salt Lake Tribune three summers back.

He reported to me that SLC has a sizable and lively LGBTQ community and scene. I'd say this jibes with what you say here.

Old 11-24-2022, 04:32 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Whatever problems this city has, unlit streets really aren't one of them. I'm glad the sodium-vapor lights are being replaced, but I recently started a back-and-forth on Facebook when I posted a photo of new LED pedestal lamps in Chestnut Hill that have the warm color temperature of incandescent light and wondered whether the Streets Department couldn't install more of these LED arrays as opposed to the harsh bluish-white ones.
It felt dark to me in several areas to big such a big city. I agree, I prefer the warm color LED lights as well. I think things will improve for Philadelphia with the laundry list of infrastructure projects.

https://billypenn.com/2022/08/17/phi...n-act-funding/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oBGa0d9Bq_Y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City