Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,109 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about Philly, so I cannot comment on it. However, I have spent a lot of time in the Twin Cities and Denver. Both have very nice downtowns. Both have an active outdoorsy community. That said, Minneapolis is a beautiful city. Denver isn't, its a the base of the front range, so you have some beautiful views from Denver, but the city itself, while not at all ugly, is not that pretty either.

In contrast, Minneapolis is clean, very green, very walkable, loaded with parks and lakes, and just a beautiful city all the way around. Culturally, I would assume Philly beats Minneapolis which beats Denver.

What is nice about Denver is that its right at the base of the Front Range, so you have the mountains right there. However, traffic getting in and out of the mountains is often a nightmare and can be stop and go from Evergreen all the way to Vail. Moreover, so many people have moved to the Front Range that even the federal wilderness areas in the mountains there can be crowded. Last time we were there, Holy Cross Wilderness was so packed that you couldn't find a place to pee that wasn't in view of other backpacker's campsites on most of the lakes. That said, you can get up to Wyoming or down to New Mexico within a few hours and leave the crowds behind (at least outside of National Parks).

Minneapolis is a long ways from the mountains. You are looking at 12 hours of driving to get to the Rockies from there. However, Northern Minnesota is beautiful. The North Shore of Lake Superior is easily one of the most beautiful coastlines in America. Parts of Maine's coast, and some of the Pacific Northwest beat it, but that is about it. It is astonishingly beautiful and if you cross over into Canada from there, which is not far, the Superior coastline in Ontario is almost on the level of Norway. Not only that, in any given weekend in the Summer months, you can make a trip up to Grand Marais up on the North Shore and have sweater weather no matter how hot the rest of the country is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 08:00 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestkc View Post
I don't know much about Philly, so I cannot comment on it. However, I have spent a lot of time in the Twin Cities and Denver. Both have very nice downtowns. Both have an active outdoorsy community. That said, Minneapolis is a beautiful city. Denver isn't, its a the base of the front range, so you have some beautiful views from Denver, but the city itself, while not at all ugly, is not that pretty either.

In contrast, Minneapolis is clean, very green, very walkable, loaded with parks and lakes, and just a beautiful city all the way around. Culturally, I would assume Philly beats Minneapolis which beats Denver.
Having lived in Philly myself I would say it is the prettiest by far of all 3. It has the best river, nicest squares and best looking sidewalks and buildings. Minneapolis looks more polished than Denver for sure but doesn't strike me as a pretty city the way SF, DC or other cities known for urban aesthetics do. I also didn't find Minneapolis to be that walkable, at least when compared to Philly which is at NYC level.

In terms culture it depends on what you want. Philly is stronger in legacy stuff like museums and the kind of performing arts that appeal to the older set. Denver and Minneapolis would have better amenities that appeal to hipsters and those with strong interests in Native American food/culture.

All 3 are good for young single tech professionals. OP should just visit all 3 and then decide.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Having lived in Philly myself I would say it is the prettiest by far of all 3. It has the best river, nicest squares and best looking sidewalks and buildings. Minneapolis looks more polished than Denver for sure but doesn't strike me as a pretty city the way SF, DC or other cities known for urban aesthetics do. I also didn't find Minneapolis to be that walkable, at least when compared to Philly which is at NYC level.

In terms culture it depends on what you want. Philly is stronger in legacy stuff like museums and the kind of performing arts that appeal to the older set. Denver and Minneapolis would have better amenities that appeal to hipsters and those with strong interests in Native American food/culture.

All 3 are good for young single tech professionals. OP should just visit all 3 and then decide.
I have always heard that the problem with Philly is that it's just filthy with out-of-control litter. However, I have never been there, so I can't judge that one myself.

It stands to reason it would have some beautiful old neighborhoods though.

Old 03-05-2023, 07:36 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
I have always heard that the problem with Philly is that it's just filthy with out-of-control litter. However, I have never been there, so I can't judge that one myself.

Philadelphia's reputation for litter/filth isn't exactly undeserved, but what outsiders don't quite grasp is that is that, like anywhere else, it tends to be most concentrated in the most impoverished neighborhoods of the city (sadly, just like its violent crime; almost like all of those factors are interrelated...hmm...).

East Coast cities generally don't have the Midwestern sensibility for tidiness, so I just think that's culturally innate to some degree. You're not finding Minneapolis-level cleanliness anywhere on the East Coast.

But the character, layered-ness of the urban environment, and patina of history in Philadelphia is top tier to make up for it.

Old 03-05-2023, 07:37 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:

I grew up where you live now (judging from your C-D handle) and live in Philly now. I can back up what you've heard. Philadelphians are notorious slobs, and business owners in parts of the city pay extra to hire people to sweep the sidewalks and empty extra sidewalk trash cans.

An ad in the current mayoral primary campaign features a resident lamenting the "Filthydelphia" moniker. Some of the supporters of the candidate who made it have signs in their yards reading "Pick Up the Damn Trash!"

Old 08-09-2023, 12:43 AM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
My ratings:

CoL: Minneapolis>Denver>Philly
Outdoor Activities: Denver>Minneapolis>>Philly
Weather: Philly>Denver>Minneapolis
Making Friends: Minneapolis>Denver>Philly
Crime: Denver & Minneapolis>>Philly
Bikability: Denver>Minneapolis>Philly, but all are fine

Old 08-09-2023, 07:39 PM

853 posts, read 336,787 times
Quote:
Minneapolis is a long ways from the mountains. You are looking at 12 hours of driving to get to the Rockies from there. However, Northern Minnesota is beautiful. The North Shore of Lake Superior is easily one of the most beautiful coastlines in America. Parts of Maine's coast, and some of the Pacific Northwest beat it, but that is about it. It is astonishingly beautiful and if you cross over into Canada from there, which is not far, the Superior coastline in Ontario is almost on the level of Norway. Not only that, in any given weekend in the Summer months, you can make a trip up to Grand Marais up on the North Shore and have sweater weather no matter how hot the rest of the country is.
You can make it from Minneapolis to the Black Hills in about 9 hours. They are called hills but they are mountains by most people's standards. It is also 8 hours to the Badlands which aren't mountains but are spectacularly beautiful. Most people in the Twin Cities go north for their scenic getaway but in my opinion if you are going for more than a few days western South Dakota is better, it is basically the west. Most people don't realize that you can make it from Minneapolis to western style scenery within a day's drive.

Old 08-10-2023, 03:52 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Of the three, Philly is the only one where you can live urban without a car. You can bring bikes on commuter rail and off-peak subway.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:57 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Peeps, this thread is pushing a year old and the OP has not responded to anyone.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:00 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
My ratings:

CoL: Minneapolis>Denver>Philly
Outdoor Activities: Denver>Minneapolis>>Philly
Weather: Philly>Denver>Minneapolis
Making Friends: Minneapolis>Denver>Philly
Crime: Denver & Minneapolis>>Philly
Bikability: Denver>Minneapolis>Philly, but all are fine
I won't quibble too much with this, as it's obviously based on opinion. But I don't see in any objective universe how Minneapolis would overtake Philly in the Outdoor Activities category, being that it's very proximate to a plethora of natural points of destination on the East Coast that far surpass any offerings in the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City