Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 05:00 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naniboujou View Post
From my experience in Minnesota and Wisconsin, people there love that the weather stays below 32F for most of the winter because they can be active skating, ice fishing or skiing and other winter activities that require ice and snow.

Having lived in places where the winter is cold but above 32F, regularly, it is miserable and gloomy. There's not much you can do when the snow or ice melts quickly into slush. That would be the worst of both worlds -- it's too cold to do summer activities, but too hot to do winter activities.
I would not even remotely describe a winter in Denver as gloomy. Lots of sun, and plenty of warm days. We still get 50+ inches of snow a year; it just doesn't stay on the ground for months like it does in the Upper Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 06:42 PM

253 posts, read 123,128 times
Oh good lord, people! Winter in the Twin Cities is not the frozen hell that some people make it out to be. There are plenty of thaws throughout the winter season, it is not a 6 month arctic blast from November 1 through April 30 with no relief: what an exaggeration! The fact that the Twin Cities metro and the state of Minnesota has increased in population every year since 1960 (I didn't look for charts that covered years earlier than 1960) suggests that “winter” is not a hindrance to growth. I kind of like the distinct four seasons of nature, but then I'm a neo-pagan . . . .

I might suggest that some people find the "brutal" heat and humidity of summer intolerable in areas of the southern and southeast U.S. Is this exaggeration or true?

Old 03-01-2023, 07:03 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
I might suggest that some people find the "brutal" heat and humidity of summer intolerable in areas of the southern and southeast U.S. Is this exaggeration or true?
It’s absolutely true. If you’ve ever considered going to Florida in August, don’t.

Twin Cities summers, by contrast, are downright lovely. You occasionally get some high temperature extremes you don’t see on the East Coast, but a typical day is in the low-to-mid 80s and not too humid.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 03-01-2023 at 07:17 PM..

Old 03-01-2023, 07:06 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
I'm not saying it isn't cold in Minneapolis in the winter. I'm just saying that the way some people talk about it is preposterous - like it is winter for six months and people are trapped inside the whole time. Neither of those are true.

Generally in the winter whenever Minnesota isn't in the news for extreme cold it is in the 20s and 30s. But people see those news stories and think we have extreme cold all winter long.
As a lifelong Minnesotan, it's cold. Its drastically colder than most of the country during the winter. There is a HUGE difference between 39 degrees (Philly, Chicago, Baltimore, NYC, Cleveland) and 20 degrees (Mpls)

Old 03-01-2023, 11:15 PM

136 posts, read 116,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
Minneapolis is known in recruitment circles as being a hard place to recruit people to, and an equally hard place to recruit workers away from. People get used to the cold, which then allows them to appreciate the fact that they have a high quality of life city with high wages and a relatively low cost of living.
I don’t think people realize this enough. Yes, if you’re living in Georgia, Minneapolis winter temps may feel unbearable to you. But I think your body and mind really do adapt to weather. You also learn how to dress for the cold.

At least in my past experience, if it was a sunny, mostly still winter day in the 20s or something, I would never think to myself “brr, this is the tundra!” It’s just a normal day going about my business. By the time temps start hitting the 40s, I’d be breaking out shorts for an afternoon run.

Meanwhile, people make these comments about the cold while ignoring how absolutely miserable heat can be. I’ve lived in the Deep South. Guess what people do between 8 am and 6 pm in the summer? That’s right—stay cooped up inside

Old 03-02-2023, 09:07 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
As a lifelong Minnesotan, it's cold. Its drastically colder than most of the country during the winter. There is a HUGE difference between 39 degrees (Philly, Chicago, Baltimore, NYC, Cleveland) and 20 degrees (Mpls)
Weirdly, this winter has been way milder than normal here in Minneapolis. The only truly polar cold to speak of at all was that one frigid week back in December, otherwise it's been easy breezy.

Old 03-02-2023, 09:19 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Weirdly, this winter has been way milder than normal here in Minneapolis. The only truly polar cold to speak of at all was that one frigid week back in December, otherwise it's been easy breezy.
It’s been weirdly mild in Philadelphia, too. The average daily mean temperature in January was 43.3, which is just a hair cooler than our average daily mean temperature in March, and is comparable with Atlanta’s average January daily mean temperature. We’ve also only had a trace of snow so far, which, at the very least, is a tie with our least snowy winter on record.

But I wouldn’t represent that to a prospective resident as typical of Philadelphia, although, with global climate change, temperatures will continue to get warmer across the board. Interestingly enough, average annual snowfall has gone up, but that’s by virtue of Nor’Easters, of which we usually get 1-2 in a typical winter and which seem to have gotten more severe in recent years. Our median annual snowfall is definitely down from what it once was.

Old 03-04-2023, 01:09 PM

162 posts, read 155,340 times
As far as winter in Minneapolis goes, I would also point out that it is well known for its cultural amenities such as music, theater, museums, and the arts - all things that can be done indoors. It could in part be attributed to the population and I think it can partly be due to these activities being good things to do inside. People really embrace those activities there more than most other cities.

Winter sports are huge in MSP and people are out year-round and even keep biking on the coldest days. I don't like being cold and don't take much of a liking to winter sports, so I moved - it really is a great city at a relatively affordable price though. I would ask the OP - what kinds of activities would you like to do in the winter? If you embrace winter sports and are okay with the cold, then MSP could be great. If you hate the cold, then maybe not.

Whoever said none of these cities are good for the beach is wrong. Basically anywhere you are in the Twin Cities, you are within 15 minutes of a lake. The beach scene in the summer is strong. I do think an hour to the Jersey shore in Philly is reasonably close too.

I can't speak to much for Philly, but can offer a couple tips for Minneapolis vs. Denver. They are somewhat comparable but you will get a much better bang for your buck in Minneapolis if affordability is a big factor. Most people would agree Denver has the better weather, with easier winter but proximity to the mountains for winter activities. Minneapolis will be greener than Denver though, which is fairly dry.

Geography is pretty important for me so here's this: I am called to the water, so would never consider moving to Denver. You do have all the lakes in MN plus big hills/small "mountains" up by Duluth if you want to see more topography. But if you are really called by the mountains, then I would choose Denver. You will wake up happy knowing they are right there if they call you - you will just have to be willing to accept paying a bit more.

Last edited by FloatOn; 03-04-2023 at 01:57 PM..

Old 03-04-2023, 01:32 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Weirdly, this winter has been way milder than normal here in Minneapolis. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
It’s been weirdly mild in Philadelphia, too. . .
To keep up with the weirdly, here in Denver, it's been way colder and more snowy than normal this winter.

Old 03-04-2023, 02:53 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
To keep up with the weirdly, here in Denver, it's been way colder and more snowy than normal this winter.
Yeah it sucks honestly. This is the worst winter in my 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City