Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 09:54 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The only company from that list where I’m not sure if they have a large presence in Boston is Apple. The others definitely have a footprint. Amazon recently built a whole new building in the Seaport and I believe another one is U/C right now.

https://www.wcvb.com/amp/article/ama...oston/40187527

https://www.bldup.com/posts/construc...quare-block-l5

Google is just finishing up building a new facility in Kendall Square. Couldn’t find a good article on the development that isn’t behind a paywall, so here’s the architect’s site:

https://www.pickardchilton.com/work/google-cambridge
Large footprint, yes. No where as large as the other towns. In Amazon’s particular case, it has about 15 AWS centers. The largest are Austin, Seattle, NoVa and NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Partial truths.

Boston is certainly better known as an incubator in tech than a corporate giant. But don’t forget, it was a final horse in the running for Amazon HQ2. And is now the robotics HQ, with a major major data practice for Amazon.

Let’s call it what it is… Corporate tech is better served in Austin or Seattle. Both have major tax implications / breaks. And neither have, historically, been as competitive to recruit and retain talent. In the case of Seattle, that’s changed, though the startup presence is nowhere near Boston.

As for % of workforce amongst those companies, I’d almost gauruntee Boston (per capita) makes up a bigger slice of the pie than NYC. That’s really just across tech in general.

Also keep in mind - two of the most dominant consulting and advisory firms in the world are based in Boston. You know, the tech and strategy folks you call when you can’t figure something out.

End of the day, there is a reason Boston gets more VC funding than Seattle and Austin combined. Saying it’s not in the “elite sphere” is pretty entertaining.

EDIT: As I typed this out, another 38 year old in Seaport with a major cocaine habit just sold off his data analytics startup for $70M
Boston is among the largest Venture Capital centers in the world. And is among the worlds most innovative cities. I already brought both of these points up. Venture Capital doesn’t doesnr equal information technology. Nor does innovation. This is what the Boston trio is seemingly confusing here. the venture capital deal in your edit isn’t either.

Old 12-15-2022, 10:03 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Oh GE just announced to move its energy business HQ to Kendall Square... thats a huge W.

That will double the workforce for GE. ~5,000 employees?

Old 12-15-2022, 10:05 AM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Large footprint, yes. No where as large as the other towns. In Amazon’s particular case, it has about 15 AWS centers. The largest are Austin, Seattle, NoVa and NYC.
Post liiiiinks and nuuuuuumbers. Anything besides your own hearsay.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 12-15-2022 at 10:15 AM..

Old 12-15-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Post liiiiinks and nuuuuuumbers. Anything besides your own hearsay.
Amazon’s website lists Boston’s office at 2k employees.

It’s common sense to know Seattle and NoVa are much larger than that considering one is their base and the other won HQ2

Bellevue (not even their Seattle area main office) has 10K employees alone

https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/ama...omes-employees

Same link talks about what Amazon is doing in NoVa with 25K as part of the of HQ2 project.

New York was actually originally intended to be a “surpriseHQ3 “ but a tax dispute stalled. Despite that, it still planted one of their largest employment bases in NYC.

Here’s what the 4 companies specifically mentioned have in NYC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/13/n...space.amp.html

Anyway, I posted this because you asked. Not because I see this as proof that Boston isn’t in that group’s tier. As I’ve stated, Boston is in the top tier of innovation and vc in the world (not just USA). im just not confusing the two for being the same thing. Nor that it doesn’t exist in Boston, it definitely does but I would definitely not put it in the upper echelon and certainly not next to NYC (which my original response was responding to in the first place). If you disagree that’s fine.

Old 12-15-2022, 10:58 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Amazon’s website lists Boston’s office at 2k employees.

It’s common sense to know Seattle and NoVa are much larger than that considering one is their base and the other won HQ2

Bellevue (not even their Seattle area main office) has 10K employees alone

https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/ama...omes-employees

Same link talks about what Amazon is doing in NoVa with 25K as part of the of HQ2 project.

New York was actually originally intended to be a “surpriseHQ3 “ but a tax dispute stalled. Despite that, it still planted one of their largest employment bases in NYC.

Here’s what the 4 companies specifically mentioned have in NYC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/13/n...space.amp.html

Anyway, I posted this because you asked. Not because I see this as proof that Boston isn’t in that group’s tier. As I’ve stated, Boston is in the top tier of innovation and vc in the world (not just USA). im just not confusing the two for being the same thing. Nor that it doesn’t exist in Boston, it definitely does but I would definitely not put it in the upper echelon and certainly not next to NYC (which my original response was responding to in the first place). If you disagree that’s fine.
I feel like I get what your saying. But none of us are in tech so we dont really know the specifics.

But im not convinced yet. These links actually show me how much more Boston is in Tier 1 Tech.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:30 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Boston being “average at best” in tech is definitely a very strange hill to die on. You could at least walk that back.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:50 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
I think we can all agree that Boston is not known to have large corporate tech, just as it’s not known as a large corporate center of activity in general.

Fair?

On the flip side, I think we can all agree (or should) that it’s a major tech hub across all competencies. It’s one of the largest innovation hubs in the world. It’s noted on nearly every single Global Index as a/the leader in education, r&d, and innovation. A lot of that energy and output is directly related to OEM technology.

Fair?

https://www.schroders.com/en/us/insi...-cities-index/
https://www.kearney.com/global-cities/2021
https://www.builtinboston.com/2019/0...ech-ecosystems

Old 12-15-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Boston is among the largest Venture Capital centers in the world. And is among the worlds most innovative cities. I already brought both of these points up. Venture Capital doesn’t doesnr equal information technology. Nor does innovation. This is what the Boston trio is seemingly confusing here. the venture capital deal in your edit isn’t either.
Hold on.

What do you mean VC doesn’t equal information technology? And innovation does not translate to IT?

Don’t you work in the industry!?

Old 12-15-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I feel like I get what your saying. But none of us are in tech so we dont really know the specifics.

But im not convinced yet. These links actually show me how much more Boston is in Tier 1 Tech.
I’ve spent my entire career in tech. I know the specifics quite well.

We are arguing large or “corporate tech” vs startup and pre-IPO tech. Boston being well known for the latter, and not the former. To say anything otherwise, is as simple as not knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City