Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 05:27 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times

Advertisements

I had a really nice walk through the Christian Science Plaza last night! It struck my today that the plaza might be something uniquely Bostonian that you’d have a hard time finding an equivalent of in NYC.

Photos from the walk:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 10:18 PM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
My wife and I were talking about the differences between the two cities since we lived in/near both at some points in our marriage (Cambridge, MA and Queens, NY).

We both agreed that NYC was the more "exciting" city with more to do and better late night options, but that Boston just had a much better quality of life. Bars might not have been open later, but the quality of beer you'd get in them were better in Boston. There seemed to be less misery in Boston, and Boston just seemed better educated (no, it's not just cause we were in Cambridge).

NYers come across as friendlier, but relationships seemed more shallow.

And the Boston wealthier classes even seemed different from the wealthier classes in NY. It seemed like NYers got rich in business, and that requires a certain type of personality, while Bostonians who got rich did so through education, and that requires a different type of personality.

Even city pride in Boston seemed more authentic. Bostonians (and people from the suburbs) LOVE their city with all their heart, while NYers love their city because they feel that's what they're supposed to do. Truth be told, I met a lot of people living in NY who were looking for a way out due to quality of life issues, while M*******s just wanted to leave because of teh cold.

I realize I'm just making generalizations, but this is what I observed while living in both places.

It's things like that that would lead us back to Boston if we ever moved back to the States.

Old 12-18-2022, 10:29 PM

503 posts, read 597,583 times
One thing that Boston has over NYC is a more annoying/grating local accent.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:09 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
My wife and I were talking about the differences between the two cities since we lived in/near both at some points in our marriage (Cambridge, MA and Queens, NY). [...]

And the Boston wealthier classes even seemed different from the wealthier classes in NY. It seemed like NYers got rich in business, and that requires a certain type of personality, while Bostonians who got rich did so through education, and that requires a different type of personality.

Even city pride in Boston seemed more authentic. Bostonians (and people from the suburbs) LOVE their city with all their heart, while NYers love their city because they feel that's what they're supposed to do. Truth be told, I met a lot of people living in NY who were looking for a way out due to quality of life issues, while M*******s just wanted to leave because of teh cold.

I realize I'm just making generalizations, but this is what I observed while living in both places.

It's things like that that would lead us back to Boston if we ever moved back to the States.
Mark Twain said this, anent the bolded:

"In Boston they ask, 'How much does he know?' In New York, 'How much is he worth?' In Philadelphia, ' Who were his parents?'"

Funny thing is, the New Yorkers who actually do get out due to QOL (or more often COL) issues end up in Philadelphia in most cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City