Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 12:05 AM

3 posts, read 1,333 times

Advertisements

Hello, first post everyone. I am writing this because I am considering a move from Dutchess County, NY to RI or NH.
A little about me: I am a 23 year old white, single man. I currently work for NY state, where I make 65k a year without OT (I work for the railroad). My job has amazing benefits, including a pension. I do have a bachelors degree in Data Analytics, and I am not opposed to working in that field. I am social, enjoy drinking and meeting people. On the flip side, I love having property (I like my toys), and being away from people when I want to be because I like my privacy. I am looking to buy a house.
Why I want to move: although I enjoy my job, I want to leave my hometown. I find that I want to move somewhere in New England because I love the feel of it. CT is always an option, but western CT does not feel like New England and if I move to eastern CT I would need a new job. If I am going to get a new job, I might as well move deep into NE.
Why I like RI: RI is a beautiful little state. It has a lot to do, everything is in reach and it is not secluded. It is close to my family.
Why I like NH: being that I am pro-firearms, I like the gun laws in NH. NH is a beautiful state, and I also enjoy skiing.
If you were in my position, which would you learn towards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 07:05 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjohnson223 View Post
Hello, first post everyone. I am writing this because I am considering a move from Dutchess County, NY to RI or NH.
A little about me: I am a 23 year old white, single man. I currently work for NY state, where I make 65k a year without OT (I work for the railroad). My job has amazing benefits, including a pension. I do have a bachelors degree in Data Analytics, and I am not opposed to working in that field. I am social, enjoy drinking and meeting people. On the flip side, I love having property (I like my toys), and being away from people when I want to be because I like my privacy. I am looking to buy a house.
Why I want to move: although I enjoy my job, I want to leave my hometown. I find that I want to move somewhere in New England because I love the feel of it. CT is always an option, but western CT does not feel like New England and if I move to eastern CT I would need a new job. If I am going to get a new job, I might as well move deep into NE.
Why I like RI: RI is a beautiful little state. It has a lot to do, everything is in reach and it is not secluded. It is close to my family.
Why I like NH: being that I am pro-firearms, I like the gun laws in NH. NH is a beautiful state, and I also enjoy skiing.
If you were in my position, which would you learn towards?
How important is it to be close to other young professionals? Dating, nights out, intramural sports, etc.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:31 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
New England is great! But like above said... tell us more of what you want in an area. Do you like public transit? Red Sox or Yankees fan (would make the difference between Stamford or New Haven.. lol)? You like clubs? Bars? You want more young people?

Im 26 y/o from Boston and live between CT and NJ. Would love to help you out.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
How important is it to be close to other young professionals? Dating, nights out, intramural sports, etc.
It is fairly important to be close to other young professionals. Dating and nights out are important to me..

Old 12-27-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
New England is great! But like above said... tell us more of what you want in an area. Do you like public transit? Red Sox or Yankees fan (would make the difference between Stamford or New Haven.. lol)? You like clubs? Bars? You want more young people?

Im 26 y/o from Boston and live between CT and NJ. Would love to help you out.
I grew up and live in an area that requires driving. I guess I would prefer driving, although not opposed to public transit (I do work on public transit, after all). I do like bars (not so much clubs) and I am looking to live somewhere where there are more young people because I am interested in dating. I like having amenities and not being too far from everything.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:13 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjohnson223 View Post
I grew up and live in an area that requires driving. I guess I would prefer driving, although not opposed to public transit (I do work on public transit, after all). I do like bars (not so much clubs) and I am looking to live somewhere where there are more young people because I am interested in dating. I like having amenities and not being too far from everything.
-New Haven area, CT
-West Hartford, CT
-Nashua, NH
-Salem, NH
-Providence, RI

Immediately came to mind. All are relatively affordable and provide a good array of amenities. Salem and Nashua provide that NH liberalism you like while being close to Boston. These towns are walkable with great dining scenes and shopping and close to mountains and beaches.

In CT, West Hartford is where the young people at. Hartford is cheaper and has great amenities in the area. West Hartford is walkable.

New Haven area is a huge college town and lots of walkable areas too.

Old 12-27-2022, 09:56 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Try central Connecticut (Hartford/New Haven), Providence or Manchester NH/Lowell MA.

Old 12-27-2022, 01:35 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
I think my vote is for NH.

Both RI and NH will check your boxes, and PVD itself is more hopping than Manch, Nashua, Concord or Portsmouth. However, the fire arms and skiing are definitely pluses for NH and I think it will meet your needs better in terms of having space but being a quick drive from nightlife.

Old 12-27-2022, 03:53 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I think Providence's younger vibe with lots of bars/restaurant options in very compact, walkable areas sounds like the best option. This whole obsession with gun laws means zilch to everyday life regardless of the pro-gun lobby spin on things. No one is coming to take your gun(s).

Old 12-27-2022, 07:24 PM

93,328 posts, read 123,972,828 times
What about the Burlington VT area, as it would fit much of what you are looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City