Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2023, 01:39 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
DC's Chinatown is ridiculously gentrified, trendy, and posh. 20+ years ago it was definitely nothing like what it is today.
Its extremely gentrified and posh, yes. I cant think of anything seedy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 01:40 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
'...Those assaults resulted in the wounding or killing of 897 people'

In 2021, there were 937 shooting victims, surpassing the total of 897 in 1990 which was the 2nd deadliest year in DC history.

The media has no problem highlighting Philadelphia, Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit and Baltimore's crime rates while DC's is rarely mentioned.
Take a look around Philly Baltimore and Detroit. Then look around DC. There's your answer.

Chicago just has those big bulk numbers that make for juicy headlines and "Home of Obama"

Old 07-06-2023, 01:42 PM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times
My brother in law from DC who now lives in St.Paul, thinks that the Twin Cities are more dangerous than DC for some reason.

Old 07-06-2023, 01:48 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
I would say DC is more "out of sight, out of mind" - i.e. as long as there is no high profile violent crime on the National Mall or touristy areas (Well, there's Gallery Place/"Chinatown" area that is super seedy).

That being said, there are scrutiny i.e. the whole DC crime bill getting "struck down" by Congress, so it's not all free passes for DC either.
I'm curious why only DC receives that advantage.

The 'bombed-out' neighborhoods of North Philadelphia are located at a similar distance from Center City as SE DC is from The Capitol or Smithsonian.

Let's keep it fair and consistent. No more mentioning Kensington or Strawberry Mansion, as they are 25 minutes away from Center City. Well out of mind and sight from any visitor or tourist.

Old 07-06-2023, 01:51 PM

496 posts, read 350,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
That area doesn't feel seedy at all. Compared to Downtown Crossing in Boston?- its a hamlet in terms of vibe.

DC never feels seedy to me even EOTR but crime is super high. Its relatively niceness in appearance0 throughout. Is why it doesnt have the reputation as visibly bombed out Philly or Bmore.
Exactly. DC is in general very organized and clean -- much less visible urban decay and rundown area compared to most other big cities.

Old 07-06-2023, 01:53 PM

496 posts, read 350,944 times
Quote:

The 'bombed-out' neighborhoods of North Philadelphia are located at a similar distance from Center City as SE DC is from The Capitol or Smithsonian.

Let's keep it fair and consistent. No more mentioning Kensington or Strawberry Mansion, as they are 25 minutes away from Center City. Well out of mind and sight from any visitor or tourist.
Philly is bigger than DC and many people have the preconception that DC is small -- some probably don't even realize that the "bad" parts are also part of DC...

Old 07-06-2023, 02:03 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
Quote:

I spent a lot of time in the DC area as a kid and teenager and I definitely remember it having a bad reputation for crime in the early 90s but that started to change when I went off to college in the early 2000s. The spring before COVID hit, I went to wedding in DC and was pretty surprised at how well the waterfront projects had panned out, and I was also impressed with how entire neighborhoods that used to be fairly sketchy had become unrecognizable (in a pleasant way).

I think DC benefits greatly from having Baltimore so close, in the same sense that SF benefits from having Oakland even closer. It's easy to report on crime that's happening across a bridge or 40 miles away, while downplaying your own problems for tourism purposes.

Overall, the DC region-- especially the burbs of NOVA and Montgomery County-- is incredibly wealthy and the people living there pride themselves on being high earners with access to great public schools, so it makes sense that they would want to minimize the focus on violent crime within DC proper, especially if it's not likely to affect the average person. Your average tourist (or Congress rep) isn't going to be a victim of a drive-by shooting downtown or in NW, while it's a different story across the river.

Last edited by 04kL4nD; 07-06-2023 at 02:19 PM..

Old 07-06-2023, 02:04 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Take a look around Philly Baltimore and Detroit. Then look around DC. There's your answer.

Chicago just has those big bulk numbers that make for juicy headlines and "Home of Obama"
New York gets unfairly picked on too.
Likely because it's the biggest most known city, even though it's overwhelmingly safe.

Old 07-06-2023, 02:18 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Quote:

The cleanliness of Washington D.C. should not be a factor in how the media addresses its crime problem.
Compton looks like a suburb and is still a poster child for homicides.
Portland and Minneapolis look just as polished as DC and are talked about as if they were a warzone on Fox. Why can't these cities get the DC treatment?

Also see:

Old 07-06-2023, 02:23 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
I already responded to you above, but I'll also add this:

I lived in the Bay Area from 2006 until fairly recently and the media almost always overemphasized crime in Oakland, while significantly downplaying it for SF. Now that SF is a hot mess, the media has shifted to doom loop headlines (note: bad news sells!), while simultaneously praising Oakland's Uptown district for being cool and hip. It would be laughable if it weren't so sad and pathetic.

Also Portland's downtown is pretty awful these days, so while I'm not a fan of the hysterics laid out by Fox and friends, there's a large element of truth to the narrative of lawlessness and chaos that's made that particular part of the city so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City