Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather call home?
Boca Raton, FL 13 38.24%
Stamford, CT 21 61.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 10:06 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times

Advertisements

Are you including Delray Beach in with Boca?….if not, Boca is a place where one goes to die, not to live. I would pick West Palm over it but I do have a few friends who live in Boca and enjoy it (golfers living in golf communities).

Not familiar with Stamford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 10:25 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Are you including Delray Beach in with Boca?….if not, Boca is a place where one goes to die, not to live. I would pick West Palm over it but I do have a few friends who live in Boca and enjoy it (golfers living in golf communities).

Not familiar with Stamford.
Delray Beach is a separate city, so no. But the old age thought that Boca is all senior citizens is outdated. Boca today is very family friendly.

Delray is fun, young and has a surprisingly decent nightlife, but it also has a crime rate that I’m not at all okay with.

Old 01-05-2023, 02:28 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Delray Beach is a separate city, so no. But the old age thought that Boca is all senior citizens is outdated. Boca today is very family friendly.

Delray is fun, young and has a surprisingly decent nightlife, but it also has a crime rate that I’m not at all okay with.
While you are correct that Delray Beach and Boca Raton are separate cities, South Florida flows together into one big blob, from Miami through Fort Lauderdale and up to West Palm Beach, unlike any other region I've ever seen. City boundaries in South Florida are just lines on a map with no real-world significance that I can discern. They ought to just call the whole thing West Fort Miami and be done with it.

As to the choice, they are both cities in which I would not want to live, located in states in which I would not want to live, for entirely different reasons. But overall, I would find Boca Raton to be less objectionable than Stamford, and Florida much less objectionable than Connecticut, so that's the one I'll pick.

Old 01-05-2023, 06:43 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,296,547 times
Interesting comparison, I like both a lot actually.

Amenities? Stamford
Climate? Boca
Cuisine? Stamford
Culture? They’re mostly the same.
Economy? Stamford, but Boca wins if we are talking growth.
Education (public, private and higher education)? Boca? I know Connecticut’s schools are way better than Florida’s schools, but my understanding is Stamford’s schools are bad relative to places like Greenwich or New Canaan, while Boca’s schools are good relative to Florida as a whole. So I’m not too sure on this one. Boca’s universities aren’t good enough to really count.
Recreation? Boca

And overall, where would you rather live? Boca, mostly for the climate (I really don’t like the cold anymore), tropical landscape, and no state income tax. Stamford is more livable in a few ways, but I rather live in one other the other southern Connecticut cities to be honest.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:51 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
I hate humidity but I hate snow even more, so Boca Raton.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:32 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,627 times
Weather and outdoor activities, competitive sports, beach, etc...Boca Raton by a lot. NYC access/association for Stamford. I know more than a few people who spend time in both places.

Old 01-07-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
While you are correct that Delray Beach and Boca Raton are separate cities, South Florida flows together into one big blob, from Miami through Fort Lauderdale and up to West Palm Beach, unlike any other region I've ever seen. City boundaries in South Florida are just lines on a map with no real-world significance that I can discern. They ought to just call the whole thing West Fort Miami and be done with it.

As to the choice, they are both cities in which I would not want to live, located in states in which I would not want to live, for entirely different reasons. But overall, I would find Boca Raton to be less objectionable than Stamford, and Florida much less objectionable than Connecticut, so that's the one I'll pick.
You make a good point that south FL is like one massive concrete jungle, almost literally from Miami to Jupiter. But there is a difference between cities, particularly between Boca and Delray. Boca is more manicured, with different street signs, well landscaped medians, stricter zoning, etc. Even the architecture is different - Delray has more of the Key West style old wood structures (which are beautiful and charming) while Boca has more of the Spanish revival meets Addison Mizner style of architecture, almost a cross between the town of Palm Beach and Coral Gables. There’s a big difference once you live here.

Old 01-07-2023, 07:51 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,108,229 times
I'm shocked Stamford is winning this thing. Yeah, I grew up in the North and like 4 seasons (esp spring & fall) and all but as I get older, I'm becoming to despise winter --> get me a plane tic to go skiing from time to time and visit snowy towns to see relatives around the holidays, but that's it.

Boca simply blows away Stamford in terms of sheer beauty -- ah yeah, the Atlantic beaches, palm trees, pastel-colored stucco homes and buildings as opposed to NE browns and grays? Yeah, the Southland is car-oriented and sprawly, but now with 2 separate train lines (including mega-luxury Brightline's Miami-to-Orlando service coming online), Boca is transit connected to Miami, Orland, Ft. Lauderdale, and much of the Fla SE coast. Yeah, it gets hot, esp in the summer, but shorts, sandals, tanktop, floppy hat (or baseball cap) and I'm good to go. And the sunshine absolutely positively affects people's behavior, just as cold, cloudy/grey weather affects behavior in the opposite way.

For me: Boca all the way/every day baby!

Old 01-08-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I'm shocked Stamford is winning this thing. Yeah, I grew up in the North and like 4 seasons (esp spring & fall) and all but as I get older, I'm becoming to despise winter --> get me a plane tic to go skiing from time to time and visit snowy towns to see relatives around the holidays, but that's it.

Boca simply blows away Stamford in terms of sheer beauty -- ah yeah, the Atlantic beaches, palm trees, pastel-colored stucco homes and buildings as opposed to NE browns and grays? Yeah, the Southland is car-oriented and sprawly, but now with 2 separate train lines (including mega-luxury Brightline's Miami-to-Orlando service coming online), Boca is transit connected to Miami, Orland, Ft. Lauderdale, and much of the Fla SE coast. Yeah, it gets hot, esp in the summer, but shorts, sandals, tanktop, floppy hat (or baseball cap) and I'm good to go. And the sunshine absolutely positively affects people's behavior, just as cold, cloudy/grey weather affects behavior in the opposite way.

I’m thinking most people voting haven’t spent much time in both cities.

Old 01-08-2023, 11:37 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post

Well just because you cant make the winters work/appreciate them, doesnt mean others dont. A lot of people like Winter. And Stamford.

Personally, I cant stand Boca. Its such an ugly city and super car centric with no seasons. Its vibes for some people, just not me. And thats okay.. if we all liked the same places, it would be a boring place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City