Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which system has stronger ridership prospects in the next decade?
Atlanta MARTA 48 65.75%
Dallas DART 25 34.25%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 06:07 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
More than light rail?

Dart is one of the best light rails systems in the country. Marta is one of the worst heavy rail systems in the country. But none the less, light rail is light rail.
Yes, rail transit in DFW is more than just light rail:

* Light rail
* Multiple commuter rail lines (TRE, A-Train, TEXRail)
* Modern streetcar
* Historic trolleys

All of these modes of rail transit are also continuously expanding as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 04:39 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
This is what I found. Wonder if I’m reading anything wrong but these were my conclusions I got from the report.

https://www.apta.com/wp-content/uplo...rship-APTA.pdf

Yearly public transit ridership to the Q4 ridership report

Rail:

Atlanta: 28,198,300 (MARTA HRT) + 158,000 (Atlanta Streetcar, LRT) = 28,356,300

Dallas: 18,251,700 (DART LRT) + 1,089,800 (TRE, CRT) + 556,300 (TexRail, CRT) + 184,600 (A Train, CRT) = 20,082,400

(DART itself is just 18,251,700 as I don’t know if we can count TRE, TexRail, and the A train because the topic specifies DART)

Metro Bus:

Atlanta: 28,127,400 (MARTA Bus)

Dallas: 23,479,200 (DART Bus)

Total Rail + Bus:

Atlanta: 56,483,700

Dallas: 43,561,600 if including all rail, 41,730,900 if only using DART rail

Interesting to see the bus outperform the rail in Dallas. MARTA recently chose to eliminate some bus routes in favor of higher frequency. I hope it's a good call on behalf of the transit agency.

Old 04-08-2023, 04:55 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
As far as DART, Dallas needs to focus on TOD and good interconnections with the rest of the city. If you look at the MARTA stations... all have pretty good TOD except the ones at the end of the lines which serve more as places for commuters to get off their cars and onto the trains.
Losfrisco is hyping DART but I wonder if they are familiar with it.

MARTA is more limited but has ligit TOD. The stations are highly activated.

DART used a ton of old railroad TOD which probably saves on cost but the downside is you have to wait for development around it. Using old ROW instead of subways or streetcars the stops are usually not in the thick of things.

Yeah DART has all those miles where the train goes, but how many if those miles are the train constantly packed with people?

Anywhere can add miles, but ridership should be measured in riders per mile. According to this article , which uses 2018 data, DART averaged 1,030 daily light rail rides per mile. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sta...240064553.html

Losfrisco keeps pointing out that DART is adding so and so more miles of track so it will get this and that more riders, but they must not realize that with every new addition the ridership drops.

Another good measure is cost of the lines per rider. On this, I must applaud DART. That thing cost some of the highest rates per rider in the country and yet they keep adding more and more lines. Such cojones.
The articles highlights that the Orange line costs $600,000 per weekday rider. And the commuter rail at $800,000 per rider.

IDK, all those extra miles connecting the suburbs are just fluff. Bragging rights. There's a few stretches in the central corridors that have decent stops but you can't extrapolate that to all 90 miles. You would be lucky to get a good 15 miles outta DART

But don't take it from me, take it from the Dallas observer: https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...r-none-9588268

Highest operating cost per passenger trip.
Highest cost per passenger mile.
Lowest for passenger trips.
Lowest for passenger trips per capita.

Bigger isn't always better. It's how you use it.
DART ranks last in every category.

Last edited by atadytic19; 04-08-2023 at 06:09 PM..

Old 04-08-2023, 05:04 PM

828 posts, read 449,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Interesting to see the bus outperform the rail in Dallas. MARTA recently chose to eliminate some bus routes in favor of higher frequency. I hope it's a good call on behalf of the transit agency.
Bus actually outperforms rail in a lot of our major cities (including very transit friendly ones too), like Chicago, LA, SF, Houston, Seattle, Philadelphia, etc. They really are vital in giving riders good last mile connectivity and are pretty much every bit as important as a good rail spine. I’m happy Atlanta is focusing more on frequency instead of coverage for its bus routes. That should help ridership jump.

Old 04-09-2023, 02:33 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Bigger isn't always better. It's how you use it.

Lol this is extra funny given that we are talking about Texas.

Quote:
Bus actually outperforms rail in a lot of our major cities (including very transit friendly ones too), like Chicago, LA, SF, Houston, Seattle, Philadelphia, etc. They really are vital in giving riders good last mile connectivity and are pretty much every bit as important as a good rail spine. I’m happy Atlanta is focusing more on frequency instead of coverage for its bus routes. That should help ridership jump.

https://www.planetizen.com/news/2023...-reduce-routes

15 minute bus frequency.

Though I do wonder which routes would get cut. Alpharetta has a lot of coverage, maybe some up there would get cut and probably some in Dekalb closer to the wealthier areas. I can't see them cutting a whole lot of services in the southside of the metro that's probably where most of the riders are.

Old 04-10-2023, 03:20 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Rail transit in DFW is way more than just a light rail system.
Oops I forgot about TRE that doesn't even run on Sundays. TexRail isn't DART which is the topic at hand though.

As for DART, where is the TOD? Outside of a handful of stations where is it? MARTA has it and they are still building. I'll admit DART light rail runs mostly as a metro outside the downtown core due to grade separation but when you have nothing at these stations what's the point?

Old 04-10-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Oops I forgot about TRE that doesn't even run on Sundays. TexRail isn't DART which is the topic at hand though.

As for DART, where is the TOD? Outside of a handful of stations where is it? MARTA has it and they are still building. I'll admit DART light rail runs mostly as a metro outside the downtown core due to grade separation but when you have nothing at these stations what's the point?
TEXRail and A-Train aren't DART, but my point is transit in DFW is not just one system like in Atlanta.

What's an example of a TOD that Atlanta has and Dallas doesn't?

Old 04-10-2023, 07:12 PM

828 posts, read 449,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post

SMU/Mockingbird Station, CityLine/Bush Station, Victory Park Station, Las Colinas Urban Center Station.

DART is not great with TOD but there’s a few decent examples.

Old 04-10-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
SMU/Mockingbird Station, CityLine/Bush Station, Victory Park Station, Las Colinas Urban Center Station.

DART is not great with TOD but there’s a few decent examples.
West Village has subway and trolley stations. Park Lane is technically a TOD with the station across the street. Downtown Plano...Downtown Carrollton... And you'll see much more TOD inclusion once the Silver Line opens.

Non-DART TOD development in Downtown Grapevine. Not sure about Downtown Denton with the A-Train.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:07 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
TEXRail and A-Train aren't DART, but my point is transit in DFW is not just one system like in Atlanta.

What's an example of a TOD that Atlanta has and Dallas doesn't?
Transit in Atlanta isnt one system either... which large metro areas only have one transit system? cant think of any
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City