Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should I move to?
Boston 27 29.35%
Phoenix 8 8.70%
Philadelphia 35 38.04%
Milwaukee 12 13.04%
Iowa City 2 2.17%
Madison 8 8.70%
Pittsburgh 17 18.48%
St. Louis 13 14.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 08:05 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
PS--- As someone who hails from the Finger Lakes, I contend there is no other area in the Eastern United States that qualifies as "wine country" other than the Finger Lakes. Neither Boston nor Philly are within a two hours drive, but Philadelphia is closer.
Great list! And you're definitely right regarding wine country. NY State is tops in the East.

Another point I wanted to make in the context of recent thread discussion: New England is much better at marketing and reputation for its natural destinations. That's decades worth of cultivated "image" versus the Mid-Atlantic, which tends to be more well-known for its highly-dense cities.

But in my actual experience living now extensively in both regions, I honestly believe the uniqueness and appeal of the Mid-Atlantic natural environment is just as beatiful and inspiring as anything in New England. They just present differently, but that's what makes the Northeast special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2023, 08:22 AM

188 posts, read 128,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post

PS--- As someone who hails from the Finger Lakes, I contend there is no other area in the Eastern United States that qualifies as "wine country" other than the Finger Lakes. Neither Boston nor Philly are within a two hours drive, but Philadelphia is closer.
I grew up in the finger lakes too; not only amazing for wine, but beautiful as well. living in center city Philadelphia now for about 20 years and the drive up has always seemed pretty fast.

Also great list; SEPA is pretty great countryside and doesn't seem to get as much attention as the Poconos or Jersey shore.

Old 01-22-2023, 08:58 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,527,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skintreesnail View Post
Also great list; SEPA is pretty great countryside and doesn't seem to get as much attention as the Poconos or Jersey shore.

Yes, I will always stump for the rolling hills and greenery of Philadelphia's country side.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:03 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
There are vineyards and wineries on the north fork of Long Island, eastern coastal Rhode Island, and the Massachusetts coast next to the RI state line. It’s not like the Finger Lakes have a monopoly on bad wine.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:09 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,527,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There are vineyards and wineries on the north fork of Long Island, eastern coastal Rhode Island, and the Massachusetts coast next to the RI state line. It’s not like the Finger Lakes have a monopoly on bad wine.
Haha +1

Yes, I don’t know that many people actively seeking out wines from the NE/Mid-Atlantic. It’s more of just something to do for an afternoon like going to a craft brewery.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Yes, I will always stump for the rolling hills and greenery of Philadelphia's country side.
Love those pics. The Piedmont setting is definitely unlike anything around Boston, doubly so because of the open vistas that you just don't see very often in Eastern Massachusetts, as it's just so heavily forested here (away from the coast, of course).

Old 01-22-2023, 09:17 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,456,101 times
Quote:
Well yeah, we have vineyards and wineries in the Philadelphia metro too. It does not make Philadelphia wine country. If your experience of the Finger Lakes is limited to Hazlitt and Fulkerson, you can DM me for suggestions for your next visit. The Finger Lakes has some exceptional wines for the US, especially rieslings and gewurztraminers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Haha +1

Yes, I don’t know that many people actively seeking out wines from the NE/Mid-Atlantic. It’s more of just something to do for an afternoon like going to a craft brewery.
The US has long been behind in the wine department, but we are catching up. There are a lot of people who seek out the Finger Lakes.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:20 AM

372 posts, read 204,701 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0721.../data=!3m1!1e3

If you love a downtown on a waterfront, only Milwaukee and Boston qualify. Boston is on an ocean, Milwaukee on Lake Michigan. Well, Cleveland does too, but Milwaukee's is beautiful.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:32 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Of course Boston does have greater ocean access amongst a much larger share of its metro area; that's certainly a plus for people who care about having that at your front door (I, personally, am just fine with being within an hour or two; it's nice to take a hot summer's day and trek to the beach, but I'm generally much more of hills/mountains/forests person--point being that everyone is different).

I'm not seeing how anything is being "weaponized." I really love visiting New England beaches. No one can question they're beautiful and lovely settings.

But as some who grew up going "down the shore" in NJ or MD, it's just a personal point of view that they have always seemed more functional and approachable compared to New England.

But if you want better naturally preserved seclusion, then a place like Nantucket of course is going to win out. It's not a knock, in my book. Just a different "vibe" that comes down to preference.

No lie--I'd personally never live in a coastal town, even if it was in my budget.

Way too much liability in my mind, and as noted above, I'm just not as obsessed by a large body of water and sand to justify the cost to see it every day.

To each their own, as they say.
I can walk to the beach and to my boat slip in the harbor. My house is at 50 feet MSL. What liability are you talking about?

In my town, none of the beaches have public access other than one not-so-great state park. It’s invisible as a tourist destination but it has some great beaches. The boating is also really good. As an adult, I always had a sailboat on a mooring in the harbor. There are a dozen places to go for the weekend.

My part of Massachusetts has similar climate to Cape May NJ. The ocean temperature is typically a couple of degrees cooler. Almost no snow in the winter. A sea breeze all summer so it doesn’t get hot. Boston is an hour and there’s commuter rail. Providence is 30 minutes.

I had a girlfriend for a bunch o’ years with a beach condo in Brigantine. I have ski friends around Point Pleasant Beach. Aunt/uncle/cousins in Red Bank but they’re long gone. I’m familiar with the Jersey Shore. I prefer the combination of beach & boating and skiing as a winter activity is a heck of a lot closer. I did a ton of business at Comcast in Philly so I’ve done rental car or the Atlantic City train to Brigantine lots of times. It’s fine. Cape May is nice.

My mom was from Pennsylvania Dutch country. My parents both went to Penn. I’ve spent a ridiculous amount of time working in Philly. I like center city. Salt water is a bit far but not ridiculous. I got roped into night skiing at the mighty Blue Mountain a few times. That’s pathetic compared to what I’m used to.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I can walk to the beach and to my boat slip in the harbor. My house is at 50 feet MSL. What liability are you talking about?
Climate change/flooding/hurricanes. The increasing risks are really self-explanatory.

Quote:
Salt water is a bit far but not ridiculous. I got roped into night skiing at the mighty Blue Mountain a few times. That’s pathetic compared to what I’m used to.
Philadelphia proper is approximately one hour from ocean, if not less during off-peak traffic times. That's not "far" by the vast majority of the population's understanding of that word.

Skiing is irrelevant to about 98% of the American population, myself included. It's really a niche activity limited to the very affluent.

Never put a pair of skis on in my life and don't really care if I ever do.

Last edited by Duderino; 01-22-2023 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City