Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should I move to?
Boston 27 29.35%
Phoenix 8 8.70%
Philadelphia 35 38.04%
Milwaukee 12 13.04%
Iowa City 2 2.17%
Madison 8 8.70%
Pittsburgh 17 18.48%
St. Louis 13 14.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 03:01 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Oh, I don’t think theres any debating the uniqueness. Good or bad, Northeast suburbs standout compared to many other regional suburban areas. You’re not going to find Newburyport or Manchester by the Sea or Marblehead anywhere less the PNW.
Boston's coastal suburbia is incredibly distinctive and unique for sure. I was just pointing out that distinctiveness takes on different forms.

I can spot Philadelphia suburbia a mile away, for example. Distinctive use of stone/brick (in many cases locally quarried using a schist found only in that area), farmhouses, rowhomes even in the the smallest 'burgs, rolling topography, heavy British/colonial influences, horse farms, a very passionate gardening culture that's more apparent to me than any other region I've lived in/visited, railroad suburbs (a typology shared with Boston, Chicago, and New York).

Quote:
But to me, the Boston suburbs and general region has run laps around the other metros I’ve lived in, save San Francisco.
Fair personal assessment. I have found the Boston area to have a lot of great attributes, but in my mind, I still see the Philadelphia and DC areas (where I've also lived) as having the same number. They're just different great attributes.

Living in different places is a lot like "whack-a-mole." You'll never find perfection. At least that's my philosophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 04:33 PM

9,378 posts, read 20,816,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Very nice photos. I'm the reverse. I love visiting out west and taking in the scenery. The word that always comes to mind for me, in comparison to the east, is 'dramatic'. The topography and variety is just much more dramatic to me. But I just couldn't deal with the lack of greenery. I get off the plane and the humidity and trees hit me in the face and it's like, oh thank god I'm back lol. Also those photos I posted are just Bucks County which is the county north of philly. Philadelphia sits directly on the edge of the Piedmont Plateau. South Philadelphia sits at sea level and it's swampy/boggy and flat as a pancake all the way to the ocean. To the north and the rest of the city is rolling hills until the Appalachians.

The Pine Barrens, NJ:

The farthest south I ever lived is NC and NJ to the north. So it kind of boggles my mind kind of that so many people in the southwest live in neighborhoods like:

Something about the no grass front yards feels wrong to me.
I'm pretty sure the OP wants to move to St. Louis though
I love my grass-free yard! Also, no mosquitoes, and no snow. This is from someone who used to live in the northeast for 40 years and the midwest for another 4. Low humidity is yet another benefit. Almost anyone I know that lives here and has to travel east, having felt the humidity is kissing the ground when they land back here. That seems to be the greatest complaint from those who venture away from here.

Old 02-03-2023, 08:46 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,741,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I love my grass-free yard! Also, no mosquitoes, and no snow. This is from someone who used to live in the northeast for 40 years and the midwest for another 4. Low humidity is yet another benefit. Almost anyone I know that lives here and has to travel east, having felt the humidity is kissing the ground when they land back here. That seems to be the greatest complaint from those who venture away from here.
Me too, every time I travel back east I chuckle at how much time our family and friends waste dealing with yard work. I know it's to each their own but I think the idea of a massive grass yard is a total waste of time, I'd much rather spend my time doing things like exploring all the amazing outdoor scenery in Arizona and regionally in the southwest. But I know some people would rather work on their yard all weekend, that's fine with me.

Phoenix/Arizona has no shortage of population, I'm more than okay if the OP wants to live in STL.

Old 02-03-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
Milwaukee's east side has mile after mile after mile of beautiful neighborhoods like these. Green, leafy and beautiful. Some streets overlook Lake Michigan. Not sure why some think green and leafy only applies to certain cities.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0702...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1167...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1159...7i16384!8i8192

Take a drive around these neighborhoods.

It looks like anywhere basically east of Texas.

Old 02-03-2023, 08:56 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,931,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
It looks like anywhere basically east of Texas.
I mean, it looks a lot like select few affluent neighborhoods across major metros.. If that's what you mean.

Even if Texas, you pay a premium for this look and feel.

Highland Park, Bellaire, Tarrytown/Old West Austin, etc.

Old 02-03-2023, 08:59 AM

846 posts, read 685,396 times
These are all very different cities. The rent in Boston is more than double the other cities.

Old 02-03-2023, 09:01 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,931,390 times
Quote:
Me too, every time I travel back east I chuckle at how much time our family and friends waste dealing with yard work. I know it's to each their own but I think the idea of a massive grass yard is a total waste of time, I'd much rather spend my time doing things like exploring all the amazing outdoor scenery in Arizona and regionally in the southwest. But I know some people would rather work on their yard all weekend, that's fine with me.

Phoenix/Arizona has no shortage of population, I'm more than okay if the OP wants to live in STL.
I mean, those are two extremes.

I, for one, like a small, manicured lawn. 45 minutes to mow and trim and weed the beds. I like walkability, to bars, restaurants, kids schools, and access to the core city. Don't need big acreage. Certainly don't want anything to do with maintaining big acreage.

On our free time, we like to head to the mountains, or ocean. Which you can't do either in a place like Texas. At least you're halfway there in Arizona.

The kicker is, we can't do a lot of it year around. While the heaviest population circles in Texas and Arizona can. That's the difference. That's, to me, what makes Northeast winter far more tolerable than Midwest winters. At least there's decent skiing and resorts abound.

If somewhere like Maine was 50-85 degrees year around, the two worlds would collide for me. Mountains, oceans, ample fresh water, and weather that allows you to enjoy it year around.

EDIT: Oops... I just accidentally described coastal North Carolina. Guess I'm moving...

Old 02-03-2023, 10:57 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times
Quote:
I mean, it looks a lot like select few affluent neighborhoods across major metros.. If that's what you mean.

Even if Texas, you pay a premium for this look and feel.

Highland Park, Bellaire, Tarrytown/Old West Austin, etc.
Yep. Very leafy/lush, pleasantly walkable, and well-preserved historic neighborhoods are highly-sought and at premium everywhere. High demand with relatively low supply.

If only much more of American suburbia was built this way. Sigh.

Edit to add: there's also some unique vegetation differences across the Eastern US, even if all green. I can definitely tell Midwestern forests, bushes, native plants, etc. from those in the Northeast and South.

Old 02-12-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I mean, those are two extremes.

I, for one, like a small, manicured lawn. 45 minutes to mow and trim and weed the beds. I like walkability, to bars, restaurants, kids schools, and access to the core city. Don't need big acreage. Certainly don't want anything to do with maintaining big acreage.

On our free time, we like to head to the mountains, or ocean. Which you can't do either in a place like Texas. At least you're halfway there in Arizona.

The kicker is, we can't do a lot of it year around. While the heaviest population circles in Texas and Arizona can. That's the difference. That's, to me, what makes Northeast winter far more tolerable than Midwest winters. At least there's decent skiing and resorts abound.

If somewhere like Maine was 50-85 degrees year around, the two worlds would collide for me. Mountains, oceans, ample fresh water, and weather that allows you to enjoy it year around.

EDIT: Oops... I just accidentally described coastal North Carolina. Guess I'm moving...
Halfway to mountains in Phoenix? The city is a valley (technically a basin) surrounded by mountains, including those like Four Peaks, which rise up to 7,700', taller than the highest peak in the East. So you could live in Phoenix (the nation's 12 largest metro) and be next to mountains and 3.5 hours from Rocky Point (warm water beaches) or live in coastal Carolina and be a good distance from a major city, 3+ hours to bigger mountains but right on the beach.

It's not like you can't have a yard like you describe in Phoenix. A lot of people do. It's just not for me. I still spend plenty of time doing yard work, it's xeriscape oriented (more like gardening and trimming small bushes) versus mowing grass though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4989...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4966...7i16384!8i8192

Old 02-12-2023, 09:07 AM

1,321 posts, read 871,384 times
Quote:
Halfway to mountains in Phoenix? The city is a valley (technically a basin) surrounded by mountains, including those like Four Peaks, which rise up to 7,700', taller than the highest peak in the East.
By halfway there they mean you have mountains in Phoenix but no ocean. At least not within a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City