Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should I move to?
Boston 27 29.35%
Phoenix 8 8.70%
Philadelphia 35 38.04%
Milwaukee 12 13.04%
Iowa City 2 2.17%
Madison 8 8.70%
Pittsburgh 17 18.48%
St. Louis 13 14.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 07:26 AM

372 posts, read 204,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Not sure about MKE but Pittsburgh does not feel very connected to it's waterways, maybe it's in part due to the strong current or the high industrial traffic but I basically got stares of bewilderment when I asked folks around the downtown area if there was river beach access nearby to check-out while I was visiting.

It felt to me like the city was far more interested in the number and type of bridges crossing the rivers than the actual rivers themselves. But I'm talking on limited experience.

In Chicago the beachfront on the lake is fairly prominent, with the board walk area built up and direct beach access on LSD.
I attached a link to a photo of the river in downtown Milwaukee, and a shot of downtown on the lakefront, a couple of posts ago. Milwaukee also has a beach near downtown, and parks on the waterfront. Now, there is a Great Lakes cruise ship that makes regular stops in downtown Milwaukee. Milwaukee's east side takes full advantage of what the river and Lake Michigan can offer. Milwaukee also has drawbridges like Chicago does, and a great river walk.

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...&bih=789&dpr=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 11:07 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,963,530 times
Quote:
Not sure about MKE but Pittsburgh does not feel very connected to it's waterways, maybe it's in part due to the strong current or the high industrial traffic but I basically got stares of bewilderment when I asked folks around the downtown area if there was river beach access nearby to check-out while I was visiting.

It felt to me like the city was far more interested in the number and type of bridges crossing the rivers than the actual rivers themselves. But I'm talking on limited experience.

In Chicago the beachfront on the lake is fairly prominent, with the board walk area built up and direct beach access on LSD.
You have not been to Pittsburgh in decades. Pittsburgh is connected to its waterways and have expanded the riverfront park system leaps and bounds since the 1990s. The bike and trail network in and around downtown is heavily used daily as is the boat docks.

Pittsburgh tried the beach thing in the 80s. It didn’t work. Our waterways are true deep water rivers with dangerous rip currents. You can sail, canoe, or jet ski on our waterways but swimming is not an option. Our waterways are full of natural flood proof vegetation and wildlife flourishes. It is quite beautiful on the water with nature while looking out at a city in action.

https://riverlifepgh.org/

Old 02-27-2023, 10:36 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,741,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
You have not been to Pittsburgh in decades. Pittsburgh is connected to its waterways and have expanded the riverfront park system leaps and bounds since the 1990s. The bike and trail network in and around downtown is heavily used daily as is the boat docks.

Pittsburgh tried the beach thing in the 80s. It didn’t work. Our waterways are true deep water rivers with dangerous rip currents. You can sail, canoe, or jet ski on our waterways but swimming is not an option. Our waterways are full of natural flood proof vegetation and wildlife flourishes. It is quite beautiful on the water with nature while looking out at a city in action.

https://riverlifepgh.org/
I'm in PIT quite a bit. Why didn't the beach thing work? I can fully admit that I have no recollection of seeing jet skis or any large presence of water activities there. Whereas in my travels to Chicago I distinctly remember volleyball on the lakefront, sail boats, marinas, etc.. In Boston on the Charles River I distinctly remember kayaks/rowing crews. In Pittsburgh I remember major industrial boats pulling containers of what looked like coal maybe?

I checked pictures I have from downtown Pittsburgh last summer, this is what I think of and normally see there. The vegetation is perfectly fine, I'm sure the wildlife is great too. I don't think anyone said either isn't great there.

Last edited by locolife; 02-27-2023 at 10:53 AM..

Old 02-27-2023, 12:54 PM

372 posts, read 204,701 times
Quote:
I'm in PIT quite a bit. Why didn't the beach thing work? I can fully admit that I have no recollection of seeing jet skis or any large presence of water activities there. Whereas in my travels to Chicago I distinctly remember volleyball on the lakefront, sail boats, marinas, etc.. In Boston on the Charles River I distinctly remember kayaks/rowing crews. In Pittsburgh I remember major industrial boats pulling containers of what looked like coal maybe?

I checked pictures I have from downtown Pittsburgh last summer, this is what I think of and normally see there. The vegetation is perfectly fine, I'm sure the wildlife is great too. I don't think anyone said either isn't great there.
Made me think I forgot to include a pic of Milwaukee's beach volleyball every summer on Lake Michigan. Here's a link.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
Made me think I forgot to include a pic of Milwaukee's beach volleyball every summer on Lake Michigan. Here's a link.

Tempe (suburb of Phoenix) has a nice town lake, almost always a lot happening there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4324...0!8i3040?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4322...6!8i2048?hl=en

Old 03-01-2023, 11:46 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Philadelphia is the clear winner here. I would choose Philadelphia based on your lifestyle. It is diverse, big city amenities, things to do. Pretty tree lined suburbs, decent shopping, and parks. Also, Philadelphia is more affordable than Boston. Pittsburgh is also another option, but not as diverse. I like that Pittsburgh is outdoor oriented and affordable. First class institutions in all three. They are all cold except for Phoenix, but Phoenix downtown not as urban.

Philadelphia
Boston
Pittsburgh

Old 03-03-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Philadelphia is the clear winner here. I would choose Philadelphia based on your lifestyle. It is diverse, big city amenities, things to do. Pretty tree lined suburbs, decent shopping, and parks. Also, Philadelphia is more affordable than Boston. Pittsburgh is also another option, but not as diverse. I like that Pittsburgh is outdoor oriented and affordable. First class institutions in all three. They are all cold except for Phoenix, but Phoenix downtown not as urban.

Philadelphia
Boston
Pittsburgh

Funny to see this posted on the same day it snowed in Phoenix. Phoenix does get cold and it is not as urban as Philly/Boston, both of which are urban overload, but certainly on par or ahead of all the others on this list.

My own photo below taken on the outskirts of Phoenix this week. But you can find snow directly in the metro area occurring this week.

Old 03-03-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naniboujou View Post
Milwaukee is a great city with a great quality of life... a city which has almost completely shed its rust belt past. The COL is great, Lake Michigan is a great backdrop, and it is near Chicago if you want bigger city amenities.

Interesting that of 4 top qualities mentioned a big one is being near a place with bigger amenities.

Old 03-03-2023, 12:18 PM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naniboujou View Post
The way I should have phrased it is that Milwaukee is a major city that stands on its own in terms of big city amenities, but nearby is an even larger city that blows any other city on this list out of the water in terms on what it has to offer.
You feel Chi really blows Philly out the water?

Old 03-03-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You feel Chi really blows Philly out the water?

I don't think that and Philly is also close to NYC which kind of blows CHI out of the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City