Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better food scene?
DFW 34 82.93%
Orlando 7 17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 07:51 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 12:58 PM

1,204 posts, read 795,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
DFW for me.

I found DFW Asian food quite underrated, some of them are so good it’s worth of a 4.5 hrs drive and hotel for a weekend trip. According to my Korean friends its Korean food is even better than Houston’s. (And Houston has overall really great Asian food.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
That is very nice. Thank you for sharing! I need to explore DFW more often.

< I did find really delicious Korean food in Spring Branch too so all is happy. >
Larger Korean population overall in DFW than Houston. Houston has better Chinese food, though.
-------------------------
As for the comparison - is it even a contest? Terry Black's alone beat anything in Orlando .

Old 01-26-2023, 01:03 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Orlando's proximity to the ocean (yes, I realize it's slightly inland but the Florida peninsula isn't that wide) likely gives it an advantage for fresh regional seafood. The restaurants on the periphery of the resorts and amusement parks represent only a limited cross section of what the area has to offer and in many cases likely aren't as good value or authentic as establishments more frequented by the locals.

While I'm sure Dallas/Fort Worth has more culinary choices, Orlando likely has a better selection of outdoor dining venues given the much milder winters and abundance of lakefront properties including in commercial areas.

Old 01-26-2023, 01:25 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,291,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Orlando's proximity to the ocean (yes, I realize it's slightly inland but the Florida peninsula isn't that wide) likely gives it an advantage for fresh regional seafood. The restaurants on the periphery of the resorts and amusement parks represent only a limited cross section of what the area has to offer and in many cases likely aren't as good value or authentic as establishments more frequented by the locals.

While I'm sure Dallas/Fort Worth has more culinary choices, Orlando likely has a better selection of outdoor dining venues given the much milder winters and abundance of lakefront properties including in commercial areas.
I actually disagree on that point. In my experience Florida doesn’t have amazing seafood like coastal Georgia and South Carolina. The exception is Stone Crab, but it is mostly a Miami thing.

Old 01-27-2023, 01:22 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Dallas deserves to win this in a landslide, but Orlando may be due a bit of credit?

You can’t compare a top #5 metro to one that’s not even in the top 20, but when it’s a tourist town you get bumped up for the obvious reasons

Old 01-27-2023, 08:51 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,117 times
Orlando is the more visited city with a huge international influence, not to mention, the Caribbean and Latin American influence being in Florida.. Both cities have a great foodie scene, but IMO, Orlando has a bit more diversity and options in this space.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:56 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Orlando has a bit more diversity and options in this space.
Dallas has a lot more international residents than Orlando from more countries so I don't see how that is going to play out.

Old 01-27-2023, 09:08 AM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Orlando is the more visited city with a huge international influence, not to mention, the Caribbean and Latin American influence being in Florida.. Both cities have a great foodie scene, but IMO, Orlando has a bit more diversity and options in this space.
Lol what? Orlando’s food scene is better then the poll would suggest, but diversity isn’t one that goes to Orlando.

Old 01-28-2023, 07:51 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
To answer the question, Dallas. Texas BBQ is something Florida just can't replicate. Even the hole in the wall places are great. Orlando is full of chain restaurants and doesn't really do anything to stand out in this category.
Dallas has a ton of chains too. Probably a lot more variety than Orlando.

But yes I agree, Dallas has a lot more variety in non chain restaurants also.

BBQ gets overplayed making it sound like that's all Texas has to offer, but Dallas and Houston are huge cosmopolitan cities that have top notch food from all over the globe

Old 01-28-2023, 12:09 PM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Business leaders in Dallas are pushing for an official “Korea Town” designation. Street signs were recently changed to display names in Korean.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2023...mes-in-korean/

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2022...thwest-dallas/
For Korean food, #1 is LA's Koreatown, #2 is probably Palisades Park/Fort Lee in NJ, #3 is probably Duluth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dNcZJw_jDM /Suwanee https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKylmKCsKxs /Doraville in Atlanta, and #4 is either Dallas or the Virginia/Maryland area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City