Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2023, 08:46 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,403,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
ngl, some of these local coffee spots that have popped up in the last 10 years are trash.

I really hope the obsessive 'coffee culture' definitely dwindles down in this new decade lol. Super cringe, because its entire personalities. And I drink dunks daily.
I've got a pretty serious home coffee setup and for the most part I don't go to coffee shops for the coffee, per-se. It's more of a multi-purpose neighborhood spot. It's a quick place to get breakfast, a place for lunch, a place to work remote out of the house, a place to grab a beer after work, etc. Hell, I even go to the nearby coffee shop when I need to use a printer, as I don't own one at home. Where I am it is just semi-walkable so a nearby coffee shop having a little of everything is very useful. A lot of them host events and concerts as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 08:53 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I've got a pretty serious home coffee setup and for the most part I don't go to coffee shops for the coffee, per-se. It's more of a multi-purpose neighborhood spot. It's a quick place to get breakfast, a place for lunch, a place to work remote out of the house, a place to grab a beer after work, etc. Hell, I even go to the nearby coffee shop when I need to use a printer, as I don't own one at home. Where I am it is just semi-walkable so a nearby coffee shop having a little of everything is very useful. A lot of them host events and concerts as well.
Yeah you have it right, if you can do coffee at home and practice you can make it pretty good. Im lazy and just have a K Cup lol. I nee to get on your level.

Old 02-09-2023, 08:55 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,924,923 times
Quote:
Lol I will pass on Dunkin Donuts. I'm sure it's fine for a cheap cup on the way to work but if that's what I'm looking for I can make better coffee at home or the office.

Here we have a lot of coffee shops that are more day-and-night hangout spots than traditional coffee shops. They have beers on tap (or even brewed), big patios, good food, live music, etc.

Places like Cosmic Coffee, Radio, Cherrywood Coffeehouse, Lazarus Brewing, or Kick Butt Coffee.
Just to be abundantly clear, Boston has amongst the most coffee and doughnut shops (pcapita) in America.

Dunkin is fine when you want a drive through or a cheap pick me up. And it deserves some credit, as it’s solely responsible for creating the icee-coffee-year-round culture around Massachusetts dating back decades. But there are a ton of spots dotted all over the city with far better coffee.

This list seems to have a fair representation: https://www.timeout.com/boston/resta...hops-in-boston

As “posh” or snooty as Tatte’s reputation has become (because of its selective locations), it’s still one of my all time favorite stops anytime I’m in or near Boston.

For a local chain, give me Cafe Nero all day. It’s actually an Italian chain that expanded the throughout Europe and eventually across Eastern Massachusetts. But, very very good.

Old 02-09-2023, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah you have it right, if you can do coffee at home and practice you can make it pretty good. Im lazy and just have a K Cup lol. I nee to get on your level.
I have a full espresso machine/grinder. It's not quite commercial-grade but it gets the job done. For $30 you can buy an aeropress which I think makes black coffee as well as any other method, you just need to also get a cheap grinder and an electric kettle.

Last edited by whereiend; 02-09-2023 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-09-2023, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Just to be abundantly clear, Boston has amongst the most coffee and doughnut shops (pcapita) in America.

Dunkin is fine when you want a drive through or a cheap pick me up. And it deserves some credit, as it’s solely responsible for creating the icee-coffee-year-round culture around Massachusetts dating back decades. But there are a ton of spots dotted all over the city with far better coffee.

This list seems to have a fair representation: https://www.timeout.com/boston/resta...hops-in-boston

As “posh” or snooty as Tatte’s reputation has become (because of its selective locations), it’s still one of my all time favorite stops anytime I’m in or near Boston.

For a local chain, give me Cafe Nero all day. It’s actually an Italian chain that expanded the throughout Europe and eventually across Eastern Massachusetts. But, very very good.
I've had Cafe Nero in London and liked it. Didn't know they had locations in Boston.

Old 02-09-2023, 09:30 PM

11,814 posts, read 8,023,382 times
I regularly visit Starbucks local to my house. For me, I enjoy socializing with the employees and of course, its the start of my day more so than I actually care about the drink itself. But there are a few coffee shops in Austin that I will break my Starbucks rule for to go to...

Nate's Baked Goods & Coffee
https://maps.app.goo.gl/BMwh2vdECYFhQeRh9

Sweetwaters Coffee & Tea
https://maps.app.goo.gl/vcGPagqCJCU35htc8

The Buzz Mill
https://maps.app.goo.gl/sLHt5t54fXLeUxDd9

Old 02-09-2023, 09:41 PM

365 posts, read 230,653 times
Quote:
Supposedly, Seattle coffee is terrible.
Who has ever said that? Because of Starbucks? That’s like saying Chicago has terrible burgers because McDonalds’ headquarters is there. These lists - for what they’re worth - almost always have Seattle in the top 3 at minimum for coffee. It has tons and tons of independent coffee shops and a lot of them are really good.

If you look at the criteria for this list it really has nothing to do with quality of coffee. I cant take anything of value from this, to be honest. It has Riverside and Oklahoma City ranked higher than Seattle, San Francisco, and Portland. Also, Baltimore and Boston in the top 3? Not even remotely close. Why are donut shops even part of the criteria? Italy has the best coffee in the world and very few donut shops.

WalletHub’s list is flawed as well but at least it somewhat passes the smell test: https://wallethub.com/edu/best-citie...e-lovers/23739

Last edited by PolarSeltzer; 02-09-2023 at 09:50 PM..

Old 02-09-2023, 10:20 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,009,673 times
Quote:
Yep. I'm terrible at concentrating at home, it really helps to have cafes that I can "commute" to and get work done. Being surrounded by other people working on their laptops helps keep me on track too.

Some cafes also double as neighborhood gathering spots. A couple of my favorites in Seattle (Distant Worlds and Cafe Cosmos) host regular board game/MtG/film viewing nights.

Old 02-10-2023, 07:02 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

Tatte is really bad.

Go to the North End for good coffee.

Old 02-10-2023, 07:37 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
My guilty pleasure for coffee is dunkin donuts--it's really good coffee.

La Columbe is also very good, as-is Partner's, here in NYC. I like Peet's a lot too.

Starbucks has fallen into the "sticky floor fast food spot" trap. No longer that good to me, and it's pricey.

As for this list, take it with a salt grain.
Fun fact, La Columbe is based in Philadelphia and has a cool flagship concept in Fishtown. Philly is a good coffee town (like food).

Starbucks (at least in NYC) is now the same price as local places. While not every local place is good, I try to visit the good ones more often.

Last edited by cpomp; 02-10-2023 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City