Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better fit for this criteria?
San Diego 27 87.10%
Miami 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 04:59 PM

365 posts, read 229,917 times

Advertisements

I have a cousin in his late-20s, just married and with a 6-month old baby. Both he and his wife are consultants that work remotely, make good money, and both like sunshine and beaches. Both of them grew up in Dallas suburbs. They've narrowed it down to these two cities and I said I would start this thread for them to get some opinions. Here is their criteria:

Criteria:
Schools
Safety
Culture
Diversity
Quality of beaches
Weather
Restaurants
Farmer's Markets and Grocery Stores
Family-oriented neighborhoods
Nice Downtown
Traffic/Transportation
Friendliness of people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 05:19 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,171 times
Schools - San Diego
Safety - San Diego by a mile
Culture - Miami
Diversity - Miami
Quality of beaches - Miami (but it's close)
Weather - San Diego
Restaurants - Miami
Farmer's Markets and Grocery Stores - San DIego
Family-oriented neighborhoods - San Diego
Nice Downtown - San Diego
Traffic/Transportation - San Diego
Friendliness of people - Miami

Old 02-22-2023, 06:10 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
Lived in both cities...really depends where your cousin settles--urban v suburban.

Schools--San Diego (though Jeff Bezos, Stephen Ross, SCOTUS Katenji Brown Jackson, Sheryl Sandberg, and others managed to do OK for themselves graduating from Miami and Miami Beach area high schools).

Safety--San Diego

Culture--Miami

Diversity--Miami

Beaches--depends; ability to go in ocean without a wetsuit year round, rent chairs & umbrellas already on the beach, receive food and beverage service on some beaches: Miami; more scenic topography (bluffs) and easier parking at the beach: San Diego.

Weather: overall, San Diego though Miami > from early November - mid May. San Diego less extreme (cooler winters but no excessive heat outside of a couple of potential heat spells from mid August - late September).

Restaurants: Miami

Farmers Markets: San Diego; Grocery Stores: both have Whole Foods and specialty grocers.

Family oriented neighborhoods: more of them in San Diego

Nice downtown--again, urban or suburban?...if urban, Brickell is nicer and cleaner than downtown San Diego and far less of a visible, unsheltered homeless presence. Both have nice suburban areas with downtowns (La Jolla v Coral Gables; Coronado v Key Biscayne; Carlsbad v Bal Harbour, etc).

Traffic / transportation--San Diego, outside of airport

Friendliness of people--San Diego. While not outwardly direct/rude like Miami they also can be a bit more reserved and passive aggressive.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-22-2023 at 06:21 PM..

Old 02-22-2023, 06:52 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,284,327 times
COL and taxes aren’t a factor?

I think San Diego is the better place to live, but Miami is the better place to build wealth so it just depends on their priorities.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:52 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
Neither. They should stay in Dallas with their massive support system between both sides of the family, move to the Northside with the good schools and districts, and buy a home and build equity instead of moving to the coasts where they will inevitably part with half of their income in COL, will be renting, and have little money leftover for private school or college funds. San Diego and Miami are wonderful cities but not for young families. They're more for childless tech bros, finance people, millionaires, and wealthy retirees.

Old 02-23-2023, 01:13 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this will be one of the more lopsided polls on C-D?

Old 02-23-2023, 06:36 AM

12,829 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this will be one of the more lopsided polls on C-D?

Waiting for Miami residents (they're here) to talk about:

*foreign money not being counted in average income.
*being more expensive than LA
*more usable beaches
*everyone being in shape
*and not quite as conservative as you may think.
In all seriousness, for families, SD pretty easily. Young and single, yep, I get Miami's allure.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:08 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Waiting for Miami residents (they're here) to talk about:

*foreign money not being counted in average income.
*being more expensive than LA
*more usable beaches
*everyone being in shape
*and not quite as conservative as you may think.
In all seriousness, for families, SD pretty easily. Young and single, yep, I get Miami's allure.
Surprised the following wasn’t added by a suburban poster who knows little about 1 of the cities
* only waiter and cabana boy jobs exist in Miami
* one must speak Spanish to live here
* Miami gets 5 hurricanes a year every year
* Miami is only habitable from December to January; the rest of the time it’s like The Forbidden Zone from the original Planet of the Apes.
* every day is a beach day in San Diego
* nearby Tijuana is safe, especially at night
* LA is right around the corner, just up the street—you can practically walk there
* homeless are an asset and harmless,not a liability—just ask Bill Walton.

That being said and as someone who has actually lived in both cities, I agree San Diego is better suited for a U.S. born family than Miami. If one were to move to the Miami metro they would be much better off in Palm Beach County.

AllenK’s last sentence above in his reply pretty much captures my sentiments as well regarding both cities.

* = sarcasm

Last edited by elchevere; 02-23-2023 at 07:30 AM..

Old 02-23-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Surprised the following wasn’t added by a suburban poster who knows little about 1 of the cities
* only waiter and cabana boy jobs exist in Miami
* one must speak Spanish to live here
* Miami gets 5 hurricanes a year every year
* Miami is only habitable from December to January; the rest of the time it’s like The Forbidden Zone from the original Planet of the Apes.
* every day is a beach day in San Diego
* nearby Tijuana is safe, especially at night
* LA is right around the corner, just up the street—you can practically walk there
* homeless are an asset and harmless,not a liability—just ask Bill Walton.

That being said, I agree San Diego is better suited for a U.S. born family than Miami. If one were to move to the Miami metro they would be much better off in Palm Beach County.

AllenK’s last sentence above in his reply pretty much captures my sentiments as well regarding both cities.

* = sarcasm
Actually I've lived in Seattle, Denver, DC, Austin and Houston. I wasn't always a suburbanite. But, got kids, so OC works for me. For now.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Neither. They should stay in Dallas with their massive support system between both sides of the family, move to the Northside with the good schools and districts, and buy a home and build equity instead of moving to the coasts where they will inevitably part with half of their income in COL, will be renting, and have little money leftover for private school or college funds. San Diego and Miami are wonderful cities but not for young families. They're more for childless tech bros, finance people, millionaires, and wealthy retirees.
If you have money, SD is a great place for families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City