Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 10:17 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times

Advertisements

Phoenix by far, for scenery purposes and dry vs humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 07:35 AM

327 posts, read 222,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Phoenix by far, for scenery purposes and dry vs humid.
Maybe some people don’t care for moonscapes and 115 degrees. And I don’t care what anyone says — 115 degrees and dry is much more oppressive than 87 degrees and humid. Clearly, you’ve never lived in the Phoenix heat.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:35 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
Maybe some people don’t care for moonscapes and 115 degrees. And I don’t care what anyone says — 115 degrees and dry is much more oppressive than 87 degrees and humid. Clearly, you’ve never lived in the Phoenix heat.
I've spent time there. I live about 5 hours away in New Mexico. It gets about to 105 here on the high side. Difference is we cool off at night here much more than Phoenix. I was there most recently in July and the following morning on the way to the airport it was about 85.

And I don't care what anyone says, 87 degrees and humid feels more uncomfortable than anything we have here. I am from New Jersey, and my kids, who were raised here, feel like they are being smothered when they get off the plane during a visit.

Old 03-20-2023, 06:20 AM

109 posts, read 122,391 times
thank you all for your input and yes photos, so beautiful.

Personally, I am not bothered by heat , was in Austin for a summer. i love the heat,hate the cold. I do love green trees but i more than brown dirt trails but love elevation. Its like my head says Raleigh but heart says Phoenix

I think i might like the lifestyle better in Raleigh because I would not necessarily have to hop in the car to find a trail, and it seems easier to get around. I personally like Cary and Chapel hill because it seems more community oriented and easier to get involved in things like hiking, church and lots of educated people.

But yes then my heart says why not try living out west for a year or so ( work is remote) and get the moutnain experience before I get too old ( I am 41 single). Love the feedback here it helps. I might do well in scottsdale if smaller, and then end up in cary.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:03 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
A more realistic comparison would be 106 in PHX versus 90 in Raleigh, 115 is pretty rare in Phoenix but 87 is very normal in Raleigh. To put it into perspective, in July of 2022 Phoenix had zero days over 115 and Raleigh had 29 days at 87 or higher, literally almost every day.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:11 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8910 View Post
thank you all for your input and yes photos, so beautiful.

Personally, I am not bothered by heat , was in Austin for a summer. i love the heat,hate the cold. I do love green trees but i more than brown dirt trails but love elevation. Its like my head says Raleigh but heart says Phoenix

I think i might like the lifestyle better in Raleigh because I would not necessarily have to hop in the car to find a trail, and it seems easier to get around. I personally like Cary and Chapel hill because it seems more community oriented and easier to get involved in things like hiking, church and lots of educated people.

But yes then my heart says why not try living out west for a year or so ( work is remote) and get the moutnain experience before I get too old ( I am 41 single). Love the feedback here it helps. I might do well in scottsdale if smaller, and then end up in cary.

Your plan sounds pretty solid, you may get used to West and end up liking it as a long term spot. As a single person I don't think I'd move to Cary. My experience there has been an extremely family oriented city, with large master planned communities.

You don't have to hop in a car to get to trails in Phoenix, you could live right next to Camelback, the Greenbelt, or Phoenix Mountain Preserve amongst many others. I'd suggest you look near downtown Phoenix possibly over Scottsdale, the area near Roosevelt is a fast growing urban area with great food, nightlife, and walkable areas. This is a view of the area downtown, photo I took. Old Town and North Scottsdale are nice but I think the age skews higher in NoSco and Old Town is pretty touristy. They're all pretty good options.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City