Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Metros With The Nicest Collection of Suburbs 2023
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta 35 16.06%
Boston-Cambridge-Newton 44 20.18%
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin 45 20.64%
Dallas-Forth Worth-Arlington 26 11.93%
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land 12 5.50%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim 45 20.64%
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach 15 6.88%
New York-Newark-Jersey City 39 17.89%
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilington 37 16.97%
Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler 16 7.34%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 53 24.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 08:22 AM

1,047 posts, read 569,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Los Angeles, hands down.

My wife is from the the burbs of NYC (Westchester Co) and I’ll still take LA over NYC. A lot (or should I say most) of the really nice suburbs (or exurbs more like it) are a hike from NYC. In LA they’re literally right in the middle of the action.

Every major city will have no shortage of really nice suburbs. In some they’re farther out from the city center, others are closer.
I voted L.A too. L.A suburbs have their own personalities. They may not fit your conventional “All American” “WASPY” aesthetic and images but they are the interesting mixture of Spanish Revival, Mexican homeliness and California laissez-faire.

I love OP’s opening: Suburbs, the pure Americana.

Sounds like a title of a rock n roll song.

I’m not a fan of American suburbs, but if I have to pick, L.A’s (not including the O.C. No one in L.A sees the O.C as the suburbs of L.A, and vice versa.) is at least the most interesting.

Marine County in Northern CA is quite nice too. And they too have personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 08:26 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I voted L.A too. L.A suburbs have their own personalities. They may not fit your conventional “All American” “WASPY” aesthetic and images but they are the interesting mixture of Spanish Revival, Mexican homeliness and California laissez-faire.

I’m not a fan of American suburbs, but if I have to pick, L.A’s (not including the O.C. No one in L.A sees the O.C as the suburbs of L.A, and vice versa.) is at least the most interesting.

Welcome back!

Old 05-16-2023, 09:14 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
DC might be unique in that it offers the Sun Belt-style suburbia many people are accustomed to along with a semi-decent dose of inner ring, old school streetcar era suburbia.
Couldn't agree more. I think that's exactly why it's considered so desirable.

Old 05-16-2023, 09:38 AM

32,100 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Couldn't agree more. I think that's exactly why it's considered so desirable.
I don't know if desirable is the right word. I think most people living in newer townhome communities in Montgomery or Northern Virginia, if given the choice, would live in a community that looks more like Winnetka, Illinois. The problem is that those places cost a lot so most people resign themselves to living in undifferentiated suburbia with the rest of the masses.

DC has communities that hit this sweet spot of "urban" amenities, affordability and "quality" (new construction and schools) for professionals who can't afford to live in Chevy Chase but consider themselves above far flung suburban McMansion living. But they're still making a compromise. If you quadrupled their HHI, 80% of them would move to Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Arlington or Upper NWDC and send their children to private school. Most of DC's suburbs are "desirable" in the sense that they represent the best possible deal most people can get. But what you can get and what you truly desire are often different things.

If you had the money to conduct widespread opinion polling and rank American suburbs on charm and "wow" factor alone, you might have only a couple of DC suburbs within the Top 50. You'd probably get a list dominated by the Northeastern metros, Chicago and LA/SF.

Old 05-16-2023, 09:45 AM

Few people are choosing any DC suburb over this if they had the choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAp0HZhBpDc

Old 05-16-2023, 09:53 AM

This smashes anything in the DMV to smithereens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8ByaNKz8TE

Old 05-16-2023, 10:05 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
I prefer urban to suburbia but Marin (no e) was THE nicest suburban area I’ve ever lived in on either coast.

Sausalito, Mill Valley, Corte Madera, Tiburon, Larkspur, Ross, San Anselmo, Fairfax, etc all good. Clay running trails around the bay, numerous public tennis courts, foothills and mountains, Stinson Beach, deer come up to you in the morning (at least where I lived), trees, and very close to SF with commute by ferry an option. Is/was home to influential musicians, artists, film legends, athletes and others from SF’s storied cultural past that are all part of “Americana”.

South Bay (San Mateo, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Los Altos, Saratoga, etc) no slouch either.

Not sure why SF suburbs were not listed as an option.

Quote:

Last edited by elchevere; 05-16-2023 at 10:59 AM..

Old 05-16-2023, 10:06 AM

833 posts, read 453,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Few people are choosing any DC suburb over this if they had the choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAp0HZhBpDc
Id pick a top DMV suburb in NOVA or Montgomery County over Winnetka. Not everyone likes the same style of suburb as you do. Contrary to popular opinion, I would pick one of Chicago’s western suburbs like Naperville over a north shore suburb all day. I can’t stand how un-diverse, homogenous, and small-town ish they feel.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:23 AM

1,320 posts, read 867,775 times
Quote:

Agreed with all of this.

Marin County looks really pretty. Sausalito could almost pass for a Mediterranean coastal town.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Id pick a top DMV suburb in NOVA or Montgomery County over Winnetka. Not everyone likes the same style of suburb as you do. Contrary to popular opinion, I would pick one of Chicago’s western suburbs like Naperville over a north shore suburb all day. I can’t stand how un-diverse, homogenous, and small-town ish they feel.
You mean racially? Because it doesn't really get more homogeneous than NOVA as far as appearance goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City