Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Metros With The Nicest Collection of Suburbs 2023
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta 35 16.06%
Boston-Cambridge-Newton 44 20.18%
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin 45 20.64%
Dallas-Forth Worth-Arlington 26 11.93%
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land 12 5.50%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim 45 20.64%
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach 15 6.88%
New York-Newark-Jersey City 39 17.89%
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilington 37 16.97%
Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler 16 7.34%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 53 24.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 11:01 AM

843 posts, read 459,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You mean racially? Because it doesn't really get more homogeneous than NOVA as far as appearance goes.
Diversity wise yeah. Winnetka is like 90 percent white. It’s very homogenous. As such the availability of ethnic amenities matches the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 11:48 AM

1,056 posts, read 578,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Welcome back!
Thank you!

Old 05-16-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I prefer urban to suburbia but Marin (no e) was THE nicest suburban area I’ve ever lived in on either coast.

Sausalito, Mill Valley, Corte Madera, Tiburon, Larkspur, Ross, San Anselmo, Fairfax, etc all good. Clay running trails around the bay, numerous public tennis courts, foothills and mountains, Stinson Beach, deer come up to you in the morning (at least where I lived), trees, and very close to SF with commute by ferry an option. Is/was home to influential musicians, artists, film legends, athletes and others from SF’s storied cultural past that are all part of “Americana”.

South Bay (San Mateo, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Los Altos, Saratoga, etc) no slouch either.

Not sure why SF suburbs were not listed as an option.
I’m still very jet-legged, and just had a dental surgery but yes it’s Marin with no e.

I have a newly resumed (after all, I used to walk in Manhattan for hours daily.) great appreciation for urbanization/walkability/public transportation after having lived in Europe in the past 3 months. I can see why many people love suburbs though so nice, well-thought out and smartly designed suburbs are the necessary evil.

Marin county physically is impeccable. Stinson Beach? A perfect Hitchcock movie setting. In fact in the movie Basic Instinct Sharon Stone’s beach house was located in Stinson Beach.

My sister lives in Saratoga, I can’t believe her little non-descriptive one level ranch house is estimated about $2.8 million now.

Agree there should be a SF suburbs in the poll.

Last edited by achtung baby; 05-16-2023 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 05-16-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Agreed with all of this.

Marin County looks really pretty. Sausalito could almost pass for a Mediterranean coastal town.
Totally. Napoli perhaps? I always said minus the weather the SF/Bay area almost looks Mediterranean with the hilly little houses tucked in with the ocean. Lisbon and SF look surprisingly similar.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:18 PM

7,412 posts, read 6,571,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I’m still very jet-legged, and just had a dental surgery but yes it’s Marin with no e.

I have a newly resumed (after all, I used to walk in Manhattan for hours daily.) great appreciationfor urbanization/walkability/public transportation after having lived in Europe in the past 3 months. I can see why many people love suburbs though so nice, well-thought out and smartly designed suburbs are the necessary evil.

Marin county physically is impeccable. Stinson Beach? A perfect Hitchcock movie setting. In fact in the movie Basic Instinct Sharon Stone’s beach house was located in Stinson Beach.

My sister lives in Saratoga, I can’t believe her little non-descriptive one level ranch house is estimated about $2.8 million now.

Agree there should be a SF suburbs in the poll.

Too many good memories (though many years ago)….ran into and met Joe DiMaggio at a Longs Drugs in Greenbrae (big thrill for me and he was extremely nice), had dinner directly next to Bob Weir of The Grateful Dead at Marin Joes, looked out my balcony to see Billy Jean King playing Rosie Casals tennis one morning, ran into Huey Lewis at the 2AM Club in Mill Valley, sat close to Larry (“JR Ewing) Hagman and his mom (Marin resident and Peter Pan star Mary Martin at Sam’s in Tiburon), is/was home to George Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch, the late Robin Williams and Bill Graham, and the classic scene from Dirty Harry where, in Larkspur, Clint Eastwood jumps off the bridge on to the school bus hijacked by Scorpio before he shoots the “punk” during the “do you feel lucky” movie ending.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=abmULTYJJEg

Still very nice today…and outrageously expensive.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-16-2023 at 01:01 PM..

Old 05-16-2023, 01:14 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,363,446 times
DFW suburbs are underrated and I've lived in DC, Houston, ATL and Philly and traveled to many metros. One unique thing about DFW satellite towns is many have lakes like Lewisville, Grapevine, Cedar Hill, Little Elm and Rockwall . Others have like Denton, McKinney, SouthLake and Waxahachie have great town squares.

Some others don't seem quite suburban because of the areas unique layout, i.e. Dallas and Fort Worth with suburbs in between rather than on the periphery.

1. Irving which has more Fortune 500 HQs than cities 5x as large.

2. Or Arlington, a city of 400K, that if in Florida would be the 2nd largest city there but here, its just a suburb. However, it hosts the Texas Rangers, the Dallas Cowboys, the original Six Flags Amusement Park, the UT-Arlington campus and a big GM auto plant.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:17 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,363,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I picked four

New York
Boston
Chicago
Philadelphia
As someone who was raised in Philly, great burbs but that's also because the city itself in many areas look like trash. between 1980 and 2010, the city lost 25% of its population.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:56 PM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
As someone who was raised in Philly, great burbs but that's also because the city itself in many areas look like trash. between 1980 and 2010, the city lost 25% of its population.
Well yes, Philadelphia still has much work to do, but the suburbs of Philadelphia are some of the nations best.

Old 05-16-2023, 04:10 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yep. I lived in Reston, Fairfax County, VA for a couple of years and absolutely hated it. Very sprawling and low-density and autocentric, yet Reston was somehow supposed to be one of the hip, urban(ish) suburbs of the DC Metro Area? I now pay FAR less to live in the heart of Pittsburgh, a walkable thriving major city, and I couldn't be happier.
Reston "hip"?

News to me.

What distinguished it — and Columbia, MD — from the rest of the suburbs in the DC/Baltimore constellation were that they were planned-from-the-ground-up "new towns" that were supposed to be self-contained in some way.

IDK if Reston had anything one might call a "town center" the way Columbia did. Did it?

And come to think of it, I'd be hard pressed to refer to anything in the DMV as "hip." Washington still being a company town of sorts, tech growth be damned, and given that those whose lives depend on that company tend to be rather self-important, hipness is sort of anathema to those people. H Street NE may come close now, however.

Old 05-16-2023, 04:13 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Philadelphia's population bottomed out in the 2000 census; it gained residents in the two that followed. Whether it holds onto those gains in this decade remains to be seen, but I take the estimates with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City