Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 10:41 AM

327 posts, read 222,192 times

Advertisements

From the standpoint of demographics, one major difference between North Carolina and South Carolina in 2023 is the much larger, more prominent Hispanic population in North Carolina. In the most recent federal census, which occurred in 2020, nearly one million Hispanic people were enumerated in North Carolina. Since that count/total is already three years old, and Hispanic people are always highly undercounted in federal censuses to begin with, I reckon there are approximately two millions Hispanic residents in North Carolina as of 2023. And of course, the number of Hispanic residents in North Carolina (among other states) is ever-growing, especially given the lackadaisical stance on illegal immigration of the current presidential administration. Over the past year, I have begun to observe Spanish-language real estate advertisements for Charlotte and surrounding communities on social media websites, which appeal to both new immigrants from Latin America and Hispanic people currently living in heavily Hispanic states with high costs of living, especially California, Florida, New Jersey and New York.

South Carolina, on the other hand, has much more traditional demographics. The Charleston area in particular attracts more conservative, family-oriented transplants (of all ages) than the Raleigh-Durham area, which feels like Washington, DC by comparison, especially from the perspectives of demographics, politics and attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 05:16 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
From the standpoint of demographics, one major difference between North Carolina and South Carolina in 2023 is the much larger, more prominent Hispanic population in North Carolina. In the most recent federal census, which occurred in 2020, nearly one million Hispanic people were enumerated in North Carolina. Since that count/total is already three years old, and Hispanic people are always highly undercounted in federal censuses to begin with, I reckon there are approximately two millions Hispanic residents in North Carolina as of 2023. And of course, the number of Hispanic residents in North Carolina (among other states) is ever-growing, especially given the lackadaisical stance on illegal immigration of the current presidential administration. Over the past year, I have begun to observe Spanish-language real estate advertisements for Charlotte and surrounding communities on social media websites, which appeal to both new immigrants from Latin America and Hispanic people currently living in heavily Hispanic states with high costs of living, especially California, Florida, New Jersey and New York.

South Carolina, on the other hand, has much more traditional demographics. The Charleston area in particular attracts more conservative, family-oriented transplants (of all ages) than the Raleigh-Durham area, which feels like Washington, DC by comparison, especially from the perspectives of demographics, politics and attitudes.
Charleston isn’t attracting as many conservative types as liberal types. Myrtle Beach and the Upstate are the conservative havens in SC.

I have two bothers who have lived in the Raleigh area since the early 80’s. Their politics and religious outlook are very conservative. I’m a damned radical whom they love because I’m their brother.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:36 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Mount Pleasant is basically Cary-near-the-beach. I’m not sure people have ever spent time in some of these places.
The comparison was to Charleston and nowhere prior was Mount Pleasant mentioned.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:18 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Well it seemed implied this was a metro discussion seeing as both the OP and you were using the metro names (Raleigh-Cary, Durham-Chapel Hill). In terms of city proper, I don't see much overlap. West Ashley to Northeast Raleigh maybe? But in the larger context, Charleston has vanilla burbs as well. Really what separates it out from any above mentioned metro or city is the downtown. But that makes it unique to almost anywhere in America to be honest. It's great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City