Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2023, 08:59 PM

10 posts, read 22,101 times

Advertisements

Has anyone out there had the experience of living both in Pensacola and Tampa? Which is the best overall for raising a family, nicer people in general, beaches, quality of life, dating scene, heck any input helps. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2023, 06:55 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
I've only spent a day in Tampa but months at a time in Pensacola. I'd probably go with Tampa. There's a lot more variety in the metro area if you also include Clearwater and St Pete. Pensacola might be good if you prefer a smaller city, but it is a military town with a lot of partying. Also the local culture is more conservative and old style mindset, and is more Alabama than Florida while Tampa is more your average modern mid-size metro.

Old 04-15-2023, 02:01 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Do you want a large city in Florida or a small town in Alabama?

Tampa would seem to easily win each category based on your criteria.

Old 04-15-2023, 08:31 PM

136 posts, read 116,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Do you want a large city in Florida or a small town in Alabama?

Tampa would seem to easily win each category based on your criteria.
Does Tampa really have “friendlier” people on the whole? I’m not sure how you could say it “easily” beats Pensacola, which is one of OP’s categories. Same with quality of life and other subjective factors.

It’s also a bit uncharitable to call Pensacola a small town in Alabama. It’s a (low density) metro of 500k with all the basic amenities you’d expect in most cities of that size. Also has a great downtown and beautiful beaches.

But objectively, yes, Tampa offers more in terms of stuff to do, along with other career/educational opportunities. I’d only pick Pensacola if you prefer (1) a more southern vibe and (2) a smaller city feel with a slower pace of life.

Old 04-15-2023, 09:11 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama211 View Post
Does Tampa really have “friendlier” people on the whole? I’m not sure how you could say it “easily” beats Pensacola, which is one of OP’s categories. Same with quality of life and other subjective factors.
Actually yes, Tampa Bay and Sarasota are the friendliest metros thanks to midwestern migration.

Quote:
It’s also a bit uncharitable to call Pensacola a small town in Alabama. It’s a (low density) metro of 500k with all the basic amenities you’d expect in most cities of that size. Also has a great downtown and beautiful beaches.
Ok fine, a mid-sized town… in Alabama.
Quote:
But objectively, yes, Tampa offers more in terms of stuff to do, along with other career/educational opportunities. I’d only pick Pensacola if you prefer (1) a more southern vibe and (2) a smaller city feel with a slower pace of life.
Cost of living will be a good bit lower in Pensacola. Also, large parts of Tampa are undesirable. The best parts of Tampa will beat the best parts of Pensacola, but if the OP goes for a more run-of-the-kill area like Riverview it may not be better.

Old 04-16-2023, 11:10 AM

327 posts, read 221,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Actually yes, Tampa Bay and Sarasota are the friendliest metros thanks to midwestern migration.

Ok fine, a mid-sized town… in Alabama.

Cost of living will be a good bit lower in Pensacola. Also, large parts of Tampa are undesirable. The best parts of Tampa will beat the best parts of Pensacola, but if the OP goes for a more run-of-the-kill area like Riverview it may not be better.
Personally, I have never been anywhere in Florida that I would personally consider “friendly,” although I acknowledge that (inland) Hillsborough County is generally friendlier than many other heavily populated counties in Florida, especially Dade, Broward and Palm Beach. At least, it was 15-20 years ago; I doubt it is now.

Pensacola is significantly more culturally Southern than Tampa. People from Tampa might as well be from Indiana or Ohio, as you allude to in your post.

Florida is a very oblong state. Pensacola, similar to Jacksonville and Tallahassee, is located near the Florida state line, which means that residents can more easily experience the amenities and attributes of other areas not located in the state of Florida. For example, Downtown Pensacola is ~20 miles from the Alabama-Florida state line, ~85 miles from the Alabama-Mississippi state line and ~163 miles from the Georgia state line, which I think is fairly neat.

On a related note, Pensacola is located in Escambia County, which is the oldest and westernmost county in the state of Florida, which means that its history is unique compared to that of many other Florida counties.

I think the scenery in and around Pensacola is superior to the scenery in and around Tampa. In addition to beautiful white sand beaches, Pensacola also has some rolling hills and heavily wooded neighborhoods. The counties that neighbor Escambia, in both Alabama and Florida, are even hillier and more wooded.

I read somewhere that many of the counties in the respective orbits of Jacksonville, Tallahassee and Pensacola have the best, most highly regarded public school districts in the state of Florida because many of the people who live in or relocate to those counties are families with school-age children, instead of Northern retirees and foreign immigrants, who clearly do not care about public school quality.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:05 PM

323 posts, read 259,547 times
Well, because Tampa bay is so much larger, it's going to have more of everything... but maybe that's not what you want. Pensacola is still a great town. There's good nightlife, an arts scene, big military presence, which helps the economy...great beaches close by...etc..
There's really no right or wrong, there's what's right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City