Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Safest Big City in 2023?
New York 14 14.74%
Los Angeles 4 4.21%
Chicago 2 2.11%
Houston 3 3.16%
Phoenix 3 3.16%
Philadelphia 1 1.05%
San Antonio 4 4.21%
San Diego 44 46.32%
Dallas 2 2.11%
San Jose 18 18.95%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 06:30 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
There’s a conservative push to paint every city that’s known for its blue politics as a violent “liberal cesspool”.
Houston is that for Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 04:17 AM

6,542 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
There’s a conservative push to paint every city that’s known for its blue politics as a violent “liberal cesspool”.
Including or more like especially Portland.

On the flip-side San Diego is used for bragging rights as a success story being a conservative city, even though it's not as conservative as it was about 20+ years ago.

Old 05-10-2023, 06:44 AM

537 posts, read 443,957 times
I don't know if any large city is really safe.

One that's very spread out into separate cities might be safer than a city that's small in area--congested. Then you could choose a community that's perhaps with a better judicial and police system.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:47 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
I don't know if any large city is really safe.

One that's very spread out into separate cities might be safer than a city that's small in area--congested. Then you could choose a community that's perhaps with a better judicial and police system.
Disagree. New York City is largely safe by any standard of measurement.

The generalization that all big cities are not safe is a result of sensationalized media (IMO).

Last edited by cpomp; 05-10-2023 at 07:57 AM..

Old 05-10-2023, 11:53 AM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Why is the homicide rate in St Louis so high?

Old 05-10-2023, 12:55 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
First time in a while (if ever) I have heard someone say Philly feels safe.
I was thinking that about Louisville.

Old 05-10-2023, 06:21 PM

14,162 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
First time in a while (if ever) I have heard someone say Philly feels safe.
I've lived here 40 years come September, and even though I came close to being collateral damage when some teens who I walked through headed up Chelten Avenue started shooting a while after we passed each other, I generally don't fear for my safety here.

But after moving here in 1983, I went with my ex to see the movie "Witness" at a theater in Center City.

One of the early scenes that drew laughs from the audience involved Harrison Ford careening around the streets of Center City with the Amish boy and her frightened mother in the back seat as they were being pursued by corrupt cops.

The woman said, "I thought you said we would be safe in Philadelphia."

Ford's character responds, "Well, I was wrong."

Old 05-10-2023, 07:10 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
It literally IS a race thing though.

As a black man, I'm not afraid to say that black men disproportionately commit more crimes than any other race in America. The reasons for that, while having valid points, is irrelevant in this particular topic. It just IS. Therefore, it stands to reason that when we're speaking of "sketchy" areas in any city, we are 99.9 percent of the time talking about predominately black areas. It is what it is, and pretending that it isn't so is just delusional wishing at it's finest.

Sure, the common trailer park has it's share of shady individuals, but we all know that's not what's being discussed here. And sure...certain crimes can be automatically guessed with almost 100 percent certainty as to what the person's race who committed that particular crime is. Example: "Woman's purse snatched as she leaves bank"...I automatically assume the perpetrator is black, and only a couple of times have I been wrong. Or: "Mass school shooting in ABC Town"...I automatically assume that the perpetrator is white, and I've NEVER been wrong on that one, lol.

But you get my point.
I have no qualms living with poor people. All my issues are living around violence. Growing up in a third world country gave me a global perspective to an extent because violence does not correlate well with poverty at all in Nigeria and in a lot of countries this is true as well. There are many cultural factors that play into violence and poverty definitely makes violence more prevalent, I’m firmly a believer that it ain’t the root cause. I think it’s the local culture and it’s not even racial. El Paso, San Antonio, McAllen, Edinburgh, Brownsville, Albuquerque, Pasadena all have a pretty wide variety of homicide rates as well as crime are all relatively poor cities but San Antonio and Albuquerque by far have the worst homicide/violence rates.

Black people in America almost across the bored have pretty high homicide rates but it still varies pretty drastically from city to city with areas like Raleigh, Durham and Charlotte doing pretty good as well as large parts of Broward County and even Lake Charles and Lafayette and some other areas having pretty low crime rates in their black neighborhoods especially compared to their Louisiana counterparts.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:33 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
Why is the homicide rate in St Louis so high?
My view of it without ever going there is that it’s just the perfect size of city to essentially only contain its inner city area. So Saint Louis is is essentially the inner loop of Houston but smaller. Maybe cut out everything north of the Bayou, and that’s roughly Saint Louis’s size and population but suffering from major deindustrialization. So areas like the Third Ward, EaDo aren’t gentrifying. If you cut across Houston like that, a much larger percentage of Houston would be considered dangerous although there would still be ton of chill neighborhoods so it isn’t exactly a 1:1 comparison. But the extreme segregation is similar outside of the fact that EaDo and the Third Ward are gentrifying. Maybe it’s this exact same area but 20-30 years ago.

Old 05-11-2023, 05:59 PM

230 posts, read 286,077 times
“Laughs in “Philly””:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
One of the early scenes that drew laughs from the audience involved Harrison Ford careening around the streets of Center City with the Amish boy and her frightened mother in the back seat as they were being pursued by corrupt cops.

The woman said, ”I thought you said we would be safe in Philadelphia.”

Ford's character responds, ”Well, I was wrong.”

Last edited by LiveFrom215; 05-11-2023 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City