Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Safest Big City in 2023?
New York 14 14.74%
Los Angeles 4 4.21%
Chicago 2 2.11%
Houston 3 3.16%
Phoenix 3 3.16%
Philadelphia 1 1.05%
San Antonio 4 4.21%
San Diego 44 46.32%
Dallas 2 2.11%
San Jose 18 18.95%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 09:12 AM

869 posts, read 319,779 times

Advertisements

Houston doesn't feel safe because all of it's nice areas aren't concentrated in just one part of the city, like most of Dallas' desirable parts are.

Move to North Dallas, you'll feel like you're in a Utopian paradise.

Move ANYWHERE in Houston, you'll also feel that way until you cross the freeway to get some gas, and there's 7 drug dealing thugs with their pants hanging below their undies standing in front of the store giving you creepy stares.

Perception is everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 09:14 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
My bad. I originally was looking into Back Bay but ended up choosing a North End zip code (02114) without changing the reference to it in my post. It seemed that the North End would have been more comparable in terms of residential density/commercial activity.

For sure, there's a nuance to comparing downtowns, as they don't line up perfectly. But for the purpose of a city-vs-city comparison, I don't think you'll find the downtown/urban core area zip codes of each city differs dramatically in terms of crime rates (which is why I only "sampled" them).
Ultimately I think Bostons' downtown crime rate is on par with NYC's and Philly's. 55 per for Property and about 10 per for Violent crime. Anecdotally, this is not surprising to me. The only big difference with these cities is the large swaths of extreme blight, violence, and poverty in much of inner-city Philly.

But Phillys downtown areas are vibrant and fun and sane. Much better than Baltimore. Really a night and day difference. Because Baltimore is more desirable in the areas just a little way from downtown (Harbor East, Otterbein, Mount Vernon)- sort of like Boston but more extreme.

Boston's downtown is dragged down in safety by DTX, Chinatown, the Common and maybe the Leather District Area. Places more popular with tourists just outside of Downtown like Seaport, Beacon Hill, North End, West End, and Back Bay do seem a lot safer actually.

You rarely if ever read about a crime being committed in Beacon Hill (included in DTX zip code) or Seaport. I don't think I've ever read about a crime in either neighborhood- in my life. Whereas shootings, stabbings, burglaries, and drug arrests are not exactly uncommon to read about in Chinatown, Theatre District (included in Back bay's Zip Code) or Downtown Crossing.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-03-2023 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-03-2023, 09:14 AM

473 posts, read 273,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Where do I begin? Mantua, Belmont, Most of North Phildelphia, Southwest Philadelphia large chunks of South Philadelphia etc.

I live in Baltimore, I was raised in the city of Boston. I love urban life and love Philly. But it doesn't really feel safe except in the core of the core and U City and the more leafy party far Northwest or Northeast.

I mean this is a city that had like 500 murders a year ago.
I used to live in Baltimore and currently live in Philly, Philly feels leagues safer. It's true that there was about 500 murders last year, but that's with a population of 1.6 million. Compare that to Baltimore with over 300 per year with what, 580k residents now? Philly's is talked about a lot but last year the murder rate was lower than Atlanta, KC, Milwaukee, etc.

I lived in Mount Vernon then Fed Hill, and had numerous shooting incidents occur near both of my places. 3 years into living in Philly and I'm yet (thankfully) to hear a gunshot. That said, I never had a PERSONAL safety issue anywhere in Baltimore and haven't in Philly.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:25 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
I used to live in Baltimore and currently live in Philly, Philly feels leagues safer. It's true that there was about 500 murders last year, but that's with a population of 1.6 million. Compare that to Baltimore with over 300 per year with what, 580k residents now? Philly's is talked about a lot but last year the murder rate was lower than Atlanta, KC, Milwaukee, etc.

I lived in Mount Vernon then Fed Hill, and had numerous shooting incidents occur near both of my places. 3 years into living in Philly and I'm yet (thankfully) to hear a gunshot. That said, I never had a PERSONAL safety issue anywhere in Baltimore and haven't in Philly.
See my last comment about Downtown/Center City Philly. I fully understand why you say that.

I spend more of my time in Philly in South Philly or West Philly. I don't even enjoy going to North Philly.

And I've had multiple instances where I felt my safety in danger in Baltimore... or it flat out, out right was in danger, almost immediately upon moving there.... only kinda one on a Bus in Philly- and it wasn't really I was in danger so much as I was hearing someone make death threats over the phone.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:43 AM

834 posts, read 455,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That can’t be true. In 2021, Houston ended up with a higher crime rate. In 2022, Dallas ended up with a higher rate (city wide for both). Then there’s a new article that showed Dallas was just had its deadliest month in years

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...outputType=amp

In 2021, Dallas was considered one of the cities that was able to lower crime while most cities increased in crime the same year. So Dallas delayed it’s increase in crime a bit for some reason statistically speaking.

Unless you meant consecutive years that weren’t 21-22?
I know homicides are only 1 stat but Houston and Dallas almost have the same number of homicides in 2023 despite the fact that Dallas is half the size of Houston.

Old 05-03-2023, 10:53 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I know homicides are only 1 stat but Houston and Dallas almost have the same number of homicides in 2023 despite the fact that Dallas is half the size of Houston.
Perception is reality.

On a state level Dallas seems to get a pass where Houston does not. Both cities/counties are blue and minority dominated, but the state doesn't make a mad dash to take over everything in Dallas or pass laws to try and nullify election in Dallas like they do in Houston.

Nobody thinks of Dallas as a crime riddled city but people think that of Houston all the time despite the fact that, on the city/county level, they are very similar. Houston is much bigger so I'm sure that is part of it but I do think that the other part is the need for the state to keep Dallas' reputation clean. Its the corporate relocation magnet and the one with the fastest growing economy in the state. It has the most appeal to the corporate types from other parts of the US. Houston's growth comes from the international space and perhaps they aren't as concerned about our reputation?

Old 05-03-2023, 11:46 AM

834 posts, read 455,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Perception is reality.

On a state level Dallas seems to get a pass where Houston does not. Both cities/counties are blue and minority dominated, but the state doesn't make a mad dash to take over everything in Dallas or pass laws to try and nullify election in Dallas like they do in Houston.

Nobody thinks of Dallas as a crime riddled city but people think that of Houston all the time despite the fact that, on the city/county level, they are very similar. Houston is much bigger so I'm sure that is part of it but I do think that the other part is the need for the state to keep Dallas' reputation clean. Its the corporate relocation magnet and the one with the fastest growing economy in the state. It has the most appeal to the corporate types from other parts of the US. Houston's growth comes from the international space and perhaps they aren't as concerned about our reputation?
The way the state of Texas (GOP) attacks Houston is absolutely disgusting. They’re trying to overturn fair elections and the TEA takeover of HISD was just stupid. They try to paint Houston as extremely crime ridden to push their agenda, even though Houston is pretty much middle of the pack in terms of crime for big cities. I remember Abbott blaming the rise of crime in Texas solely on Harris County. I know that they go after Austin too but Dallas seems to escape the wrath of the Texas GOP and the crime stereotype when they’re both similar.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:39 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,505,245 times
Orange County - similarly SD.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:43 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Houston doesn't feel safe because all of it's nice areas aren't concentrated in just one part of the city, like most of Dallas' desirable parts are.

Move ANYWHERE in Houston, you'll also feel that way until you cross the freeway to get some gas, and there's 7 drug dealing thugs with their pants hanging below their undies standing in front of the store giving you creepy stares.

Ain't that the truth.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:50 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post

You are spot-on. This is North Dallas. The major problem here is that the espresso machine is jammed at the local coffee shop.

https://goo.gl/maps/NgZUowQtMcgk1GGY9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City