Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Safest Big City in 2023?
New York 14 14.74%
Los Angeles 4 4.21%
Chicago 2 2.11%
Houston 3 3.16%
Phoenix 3 3.16%
Philadelphia 1 1.05%
San Antonio 4 4.21%
San Diego 44 46.32%
Dallas 2 2.11%
San Jose 18 18.95%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 09:38 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times

Advertisements

Two people actually voted Houston lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 09:41 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Did you not read my earlier reply? Here, let's try it again....

"Not at all. This has nothing to do with that. I'm just pointing out one of Houston's flaws, which is that it's seriously lacking in organization. I actually prefer Houston's lay-out to other cities (like Dallas), but I'm not going to pretend that there isn't a downside to that".

Read the first three words, which I have emboldened...then read the following reasoning I gave for my reply.

I myself am black...but that doesn't mean I can't call out the issues within my community. Can I not call out black-on-black crime either, and if I do that means I prefer "segregation"?
Get used to it, unfortunately I'm not surprised. lol

Old 05-05-2023, 10:15 PM

221 posts, read 114,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
You are spot-on. This is North Dallas. The major problem here is that the espresso machine is jammed at the local coffee shop.

https://goo.gl/maps/NgZUowQtMcgk1GGY9
This is random, but looking around that streetview, im pleasantly surprised at the urbanity of North Dallas' elite communities. Gridded Streets, Minimal front yards, alleyways for the trash and utility wires, not as many front garages, sidewalks!. For all the knocks Dallas gets, these communities are a lot more "urban" than a Buckhead or even the upper class areas of many Northern suburbs. The density even makes it feel "safer" than some of the more isolated UC communities; and im sure they are, Dallas proves you don't have to build UC communities with big walls and barriers (though I'm sure those exist) for the residents there to feel safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
The way the state of Texas (GOP) attacks Houston is absolutely disgusting. They’re trying to overturn fair elections and the TEA takeover of HISD was just stupid. They try to paint Houston as extremely crime ridden to push their agenda, even though Houston is pretty much middle of the pack in terms of crime for big cities. I remember Abbott blaming the rise of crime in Texas solely on Harris County. I know that they go after Austin too but Dallas seems to escape the wrath of the Texas GOP and the crime stereotype when they’re both similar.
It's so obvious why it's the states darling. Probably has to do with the states wealthiest residents living in Dallas. Dallas has (and always had) a cachet that Houston never had. See my comment above; its prettier, better planned, more "all american", has all the big name companies (ATT, American, McKesson, TI, Exxon for now), the big and successful sports teams, more comfortable to live in. Bush lives there. The minorities there are more...shall we say, in the background. Dallas=wealth in the cultural sense. It's more upper crust conservative despite being a 'blue' city.

Like many have said, Perception.

Last edited by PHILLYUPTOWN; 05-05-2023 at 10:28 PM..

Old 05-06-2023, 12:43 AM

325 posts, read 204,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
San Antonio is very economically segregated and honestly I don't mind it.
Me either honestly. All of the nicer suburbs/enclaves of SA are "diverse" too... way more than the inner city anyways. I'm not sure what the appeal of being next to a crime ridden/sketchy area would be.

Old 05-06-2023, 04:01 AM

947 posts, read 567,371 times
San Diego.

Don't know what Chicago is doing on this poll.

Old 05-06-2023, 09:12 AM

9,901 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Chicago is the national punching bag for crime. But Philly feels the most dangerous. The safest feeling has to be NYC or San Diego

Old 05-06-2023, 10:21 AM

869 posts, read 319,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
This is random, but looking around that streetview, im pleasantly surprised at the urbanity of North Dallas' elite communities. Gridded Streets, Minimal front yards, alleyways for the trash and utility wires, not as many front garages, sidewalks!. For all the knocks Dallas gets, these communities are a lot more "urban" than a Buckhead or even the upper class areas of many Northern suburbs. The density even makes it feel "safer" than some of the more isolated UC communities; and im sure they are, Dallas proves you don't have to build UC communities with big walls and barriers (though I'm sure those exist) for the residents there to feel safe.

It's so obvious why it's the states darling. Probably has to do with the states wealthiest residents living in Dallas. Dallas has (and always had) a cachet that Houston never had. See my comment above; its prettier, better planned, more "all american", has all the big name companies (ATT, American, McKesson, TI, Exxon for now), the big and successful sports teams, more comfortable to live in. Bush lives there. The minorities there are more...shall we say, in the background. Dallas=wealth in the cultural sense. It's more upper crust conservative despite being a 'blue' city.

Man, that second paragraph...SPOT ON!

Old 05-06-2023, 10:27 AM

869 posts, read 319,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
Me either honestly. All of the nicer suburbs/enclaves of SA are "diverse" too... way more than the inner city anyways. I'm not sure what the appeal of being next to a crime ridden/sketchy area would be.

Because it's not "PC" to admit it out loud, seeing as how everyone knows what race of people this mostly applies to.

This is all I was trying to say, but, unlike you, I don't necessarily think segregation (economically or otherwise) is the answer. More like hard-on-crime and REAL policing should get the job done.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:45 AM

755 posts, read 571,037 times
I first want to say the crime & safety is a complicated thing to narrow down, and you cannot always trust statistics, news/media, & word of mouth, as people can often paint crime disproportionately to a cities overall quality of life and safety (blowing out of proportion). Crime tends to be more prevalent in areas with higher poverty, but I feel that the majority of people will be safe in any of these cities.

Out of these cities, I've been to NYC, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, & San Diego. Out of these places, I felt that San Diego was the "safest", therefore it got my upvote. In my experience, it tended to have less of a crime & poverty problems than the other cities. But every city has it's crime & poverty, and I never had a safety issue in any of these cities.

Last edited by ASJackson814; 05-06-2023 at 11:56 AM..

Old 05-06-2023, 01:54 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post

I really wish I could disagree with it but it’s spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City