Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2023, 09:00 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
San Jose’s issue beyond being a late bloomer is that people just don’t have the bandwidth to store all the San’s and Santa’s of California in their head. San Francisco and San Diego are nearing the limit, and then it just becomes word salad for most Americans. San Jose is beginning to break through name recognition wise. But in my mind, it has been terribly relevant even without that.

Usually secondary cities don't get much recognition. In greater SF, they already have Oakland, Silicon Valley (the location and the idea), and even Berkeley. Their "Mesa" isn't going to rank highly there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 08:14 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Also hbomax has been sending me spiraling on a Grisham film kick. I forgot just how large Memphis looked in my mind as a kid. It was having a moment even decades after Elvis, but that has surely faded 30 years on.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:00 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Except that this second Great Migration reverses the earlier one that saw Blacks leave the South in droves from 1900 to 1970. During that time, the share of the country's Black population that lived in the South fell from 90 percent to 53 percent, according to this Brookings report on the new Great Migration.

In that case, the Blacks leaving the South were moving North for greater opportunity and less oppression. Some of those moving now have concluded that the North has its own versions of oppression.

And the reverse migration appears not to be as massive as the first one was. Since 1970, the share of the Black population living in the South has risen only four percentage points.
This is true but don't forget that the Great Migration was both interregional and intraregional. The movement of folks from the Southern countryside into nearby towns and cities, particularly in its second phase, tends to be the ignored part of the phenomenon. Raleigh's two HBCUs, status as the primary commercial hub serving heavily Black and rural/small-town eastern NC, and historical industrial profile probably insulated it against heavy losses of residents in that era.

Even so, the Great Migration simply reflected the same phenomenon at work, only in reverse.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:43 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Atlanta? I don’t really see it as fading. It’s growing rapidly and lots of good things are happening for the city.
Same. Atlanta in many ways is like what LA used to be, some good and bad. Especially with the movie/TV industry a lot of filming is done in Atlanta and less in LA. Back in the 90's Atlanta was only thought of as the city that hosted the Olympics, while everything was in LA if not New York.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:54 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Raleigh likely could get a convention (it’s roughly the size of Milwaukee for instance, in a battleground state), though I think both it and Charlotte have been fine with letting them have that particular spotlight.

San Jose’s issue beyond being a late bloomer is that people just don’t have the bandwidth to store all the San’s and Santa’s of California in their head. San Francisco and San Diego are nearing the limit, and then it just becomes word salad for most Americans. San Jose is beginning to break through name recognition wise. But in my mind, it has been terribly relevant even without that.
absolutely agree

Old 05-12-2023, 07:55 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Is it, though? I admit I'm biased as a lifelong sports fan...but are you and Heel82 biased by being Raleigh-area locals?
My introduction to Raleigh was through college sports, for Durham it was through something in the Civil Rights portion of school curricula.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:58 AM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Speaking generally -- Detroit.

It seems to me that Detroit was a big deal economically (automobiles) -- and of course, Motown -- when I was growing up in the 60's and then it had some riots, but I haven't heard much about it at all for many decades now.

Old 05-12-2023, 09:07 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Speaking generally -- Detroit.

It seems to me that Detroit was a big deal economically (automobiles) -- and of course, Motown -- when I was growing up in the 60's and then it had some riots, but I haven't heard much about it at all for many decades now.
Growth and sprawl has continued in most of Detroit's suburbs along with some reinvestment in the city limits.
Oakland County, MI is one of the nicer suburban areas in the country to this day and has never seen any population decline.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:13 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 4 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 975,507 times
I asked my father in law (born in 1955, lived his whole life in central Pennsylvania), and he said

Gained relevance: “Tampa Bay has really grown. That was nothing like it is now. I’m not sure what the calling card is. I was really shocked in 1976 when they got a professional football team.”

Lost relevance: A lot of big cities because people want to live in the suburbs and live the American Dream. Until the mortgage comes along and then it becomes the American Nightmare. But to answer the question more directly: Detroit, for example, has lost the most (it would be hard to find a city that has lost more than Detroit). Pittsburgh too.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:30 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Oakland County, MI is one of the nicer suburban areas in the country to this day and has never seen any population decline.
Strongggg take.

Oakland County is very nice. Birmingham, Bloomfield, Farmington, Novi, Rochester.

But no particular standouts here, less maybe Birmingham. Very similar to much of legacy northern suburbia, without the mega affluence. To me, not a real “sense of place”.

If anything, the Grosse Pointes are the string of suburbs I’d point to for a “wow” factor. Even still, they haven’t seen the type of reinvestment needed to match up with sister suburbs in flourishing metros. But man are they gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City