Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2023, 01:17 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,407,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Nashville / Charlotte or even Orlando are still much smaller than Atlanta, though.

My take is that everything is relative - it's a lot easier to grow from 1.5M to 2M-2.5M (Which is what Charlotte, Nashville, and even Austin did) compare to 4M to 6M and continue to grow (Which is what Atlanta did). For all the talk about Atlanta slowing down, have you seen Midtown of 2010 compare to 2020? The growth of places like North Fulton/NW Gwinnett/Forsyth County? Oh...and upcoming development like The Gulch, the forever gentrifying O4W/Beltline area...

From a pure growth standpoint Nashville is not really in the same category as these other cities. Nashville's urban area population went from 518k in 1980 to 1.15M in 2020. Atlanta went from 1.6M to 5M. Austin went from 380k to 1.8M. Charlotte went from 351k to 1.4M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 05:42 PM

592 posts, read 593,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
From a pure growth standpoint Nashville is not really in the same category as these other cities. Nashville's urban area population went from 518k in 1980 to 1.15M in 2020. Atlanta went from 1.6M to 5M. Austin went from 380k to 1.8M. Charlotte went from 351k to 1.4M.
Good point. I’d say for Nashville in particular, it’s urban growth didn’t start until much later as mentioned in a previous post. Specifically around 2014 and 2015. Cities like Austin, Charlotte and Atlanta got a jump on their urban growth much earlier. Atlanta’s growth started in the 70’s and 80’s, Charlotte’s in the 90’s and early 2000’s and Austin in the early to mid 2000’s.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:11 PM

221 posts, read 115,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Agreed. Back in the 2000s, Atlanta was fresh off the Olympic hype. You had people saying Atlanta was going to pass Houston in population by 2010 and then pass DFW. The number one export you'd heard about from Atlantans back then was Coke but it isnt seen in the same light today in a more health conscious world. The entertainment industry Atlanta has developed helped keep its relevance higher with all the "made in Georgia" credits after each show filmed there. Without this rise Atlanta would certainly be behind DFW and probably Philly in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I think Atlanta’s national standing is similar. What’s been hurt is its regional standing. The rise of Charlotte, Nashville, Orlando have all eaten away at its standing as the primary city for the Southeast. The TBS diplomacy which made Brave nation so large is not replicable today.
Atlanta's a tricky one.

I can't help (the paranoid in me) but consider other factors. Among the white population is Atlanta beginning to be considered "a black metro"? So that young white families that would move there in the 80s-00s maybe move to a Nashville or Austin or a Raleigh. I know other groups are growing in Atlanta and at a faster rate but I can't help but wonder if there is a backlash within the white community to "black atlanta", not malicious or anything, but...yeah.

To me one of the untold stories is this story of Detroit. In the 20-60s Detroit was a place all of black america wanted to live...the great jobs that would hire blacks, the large single family homes, Motown, the large black middle class, politically active population....and blacks gravitated to it because they couldn't get these things everywhere, so the black population exploded relative to every other population.....and the city couldn't handle the large influx economically or socially....and Detroit started to decline, whites started moving out of the city, and it started to go down hill really fast.

There are other factors at play that I suspect the same thing won't happen for Atlanta because of those factors, but it's something I think about.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:55 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,427,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
Atlanta's a tricky one.

I can't help (the paranoid in me) but consider other factors. Among the white population is Atlanta beginning to be considered "a black metro"? So that young white families that would move there in the 80s-00s maybe move to a Nashville or Austin or a Raleigh. I know other groups are growing in Atlanta and at a faster rate but I can't help but wonder if there is a backlash within the white community to "black atlanta", not malicious or anything, but...yeah.

To me one of the untold stories is this story of Detroit. In the 20-60s Detroit was a place all of black america wanted to live...the great jobs that would hire blacks, the large single family homes, Motown, the large black middle class, politically active population....and blacks gravitated to it because they couldn't get these things everywhere, so the black population exploded relative to every other population.....and the city couldn't handle the large influx economically or socially....and Detroit started to decline, whites started moving out of the city, and it started to go down hill really fast.

There are other factors at play that I suspect the same thing won't happen for Atlanta because of those factors, but it's something I think about.
Atlanta has the benefit of Emory and Georgia Tech.

Detroit didn’t have anything to draw the upper middle class once the jobs moved to the burbs.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:07 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,819,369 times
Some of these cities drops from their peak are just astounding.

Buffalo was the 13th largest city with 580,132
Now it is # 83 with 276,486

Pittsburgh was the 8th largest city with 669,817
Now it is the 68th largest with a population of 302898

St Louis was 6th largest with 914,808
Now it is 79 with 286,578

Cleveland was 5th largest with 914,808
Now it is 54th largest with 361,607

Detroit was the 4th largest city with 1,849,568 max
Now it is 29th with 620, 396 people

New Orleans was once the 3rd largest with 669,817
Now it is 53 with 369,749

Baltimore was once #2 and had 949,708 people
Now it is #30 with 569,931 people.

When Cincinnati was the largest city in Ohio and 6th in the country, Cleveland was 68, chicago was 97 and Detroit was 41 at the time.

San Francisco hasn't been in the top 10 cities since 1900 back then every city had tiny city limits. Even in Texas

Old 05-18-2023, 10:13 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,860,004 times
Buffalo’s high water mark was 8th in 1900.

Old 05-19-2023, 01:22 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
Atlanta's a tricky one.

I’m not sure about a “black metro”, but as a white person, I’ve always viewed Atlanta as a “black city” and most blacks I know for a long time (from the 90’s through early/mid 2000’s) seemed to view Atlanta as one of the premier “black cities.”

Since I’m not from there it’s hard for me to differentiate between “metro” and “city,” but I always think of Atlanta as a black city.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:34 AM

325 posts, read 205,911 times
Quote:
Atlanta's a tricky one.

I've always seen Atlanta as a "Black city" (mainly because of Rap) but not really the metro. But it also seemed divided from the times I've been there. The Buckhead area felt relatively mixed, and northern Fulton County seemed pretty white overall.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:56 AM

538 posts, read 824,894 times
Quote:
Atlanta's a tricky one.

In Atlanta the city the white percentage is increasing while the black is declining.

For the bolded - Made me think of Albert King "Cadillac Assembly Line."

Old 05-19-2023, 08:00 AM

6,382 posts, read 5,507,323 times
Quote:
Atlanta's a tricky one.

This seems to be ignoring one of the biggest historic factors in the demographic change of Detroit vs current times with Atlanta..

Redlining and block-busting were the norm during that period for Detroit (and pretty much every city in the US at the time). That is...quite illegal now.

Obviously prejudices that invoke "white flight" still exist; but not nearly to the (intentional) scale as what took place in the mid 20th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City