Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2023, 03:52 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
Atlanta's a tricky one.

I can't help (the paranoid in me) but consider other factors. Among the white population is Atlanta beginning to be considered "a black metro"? So that young white families that would move there in the 80s-00s maybe move to a Nashville or Austin or a Raleigh. I know other groups are growing in Atlanta and at a faster rate but I can't help but wonder if there is a backlash within the white community to "black atlanta", not malicious or anything, but...yeah.
I think opinions of Atlanta's demographic trends vary greatly among the White population. In general those who are older and less educated (and have more "right wing" viewpoints) are going to perceive how the area has evolved more negatively. The younger population tends to be more accustomed to living in a diverse environment and take for granted seeing Black and other minority people in many different walks of life.

There is certainly no universal consensus that metro Atlanta is an inhospitable place for White people, or any other group for that matter. Most residents would agree that our traffic is drastically worse than race relations, even if the latter dynamic (like America in general) isn't perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 05:13 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,888,650 times
In my Lifetime? born in 1985

Detroit. I hate to put Detroit 1st but I have a childhood memory and a story behind it, My first trip to Detroit was in 1995 I was 10 years. And Who Remembers those Rand McNally Atlases lol. All Pre Internet. So On the way to Detroit I remember the Atlas saying Detroit had a population over 1,000,000 plus In 1995. This was the First time I ever been to A City of Over 1 Million people. I remember being excited about that as a Child, And as a 10 year old Child I had no Idea or was conscious Detroit was in decline at the time and to my 10 year old self Detroit and Chicago where on the same level. Detroit was the biggest city I Ever been too until 1998 my first trip to Chicago

Chicago Was Huuuuge in the 90s The Oprah's the MJs O'Hare was The World's Busiest Airport, Other Posters have said something similar in the beginning of this thread so I'll leave it there. Chicago was the biggest city I ever been too until 2005 my first trip to New York. Chicago may have slightly faded but not by much to me, Every since the Steve Harvey Show left for L.A, Chicago hasn't had much Media Presence like it did n the 90s (Full House, Family Matters Show etc) and some Cities have caught up to it but anytime Multiple Overseas Publication list it as a Top 10 city (In the World.) Or a Alpha City. Than I can't say it's faded completely

Atlanta, torn between faded and Risen. I'll Say Risen though. Put it like this. Atlanta is a nice city today, But When I was growing up in the 90's Atlanta was HotLanta, don't really hear people call Atlanta HotLanta anymore

Memphis was the Biggest city in Tennessee when I was growing up, 18th biggest in the country. Memphis was bigger (City population) than Seattle Austin Denver Charlotte Las Vegas , DC Boston Nashville Louisville Oklahoma City etc It's not playing at those heights anymore, But I thinks History Sports and Logistics will keep it from fading completely

Huntsville Greenville Knoxville NorthWest Arkansas ( Risen)
10 years ago Nobody was talking about Huntsville, heck even 3 years nobody was talking about Huntsville now it's the largest in Alabama and getting some press, how the times change. Greenville and Northwest Arkansas are getting a few mentions and still Nobody is really talking about Knoxville, But Knoxville is quietly growing into Tennessee's next Major City. These 4 cities I put as risen because they are probably gonna be the future CD darlings

St Louis and New Orleans, when I was little These where Huge Deals, I Remember my Grandma Chatting up St Louis, I remember on a greyhound bus ride to St Louis in the 90's everybody was like Show Me, We going to the Show Me State (Missouri nickname) And New Orleans was oftened hyped up too. Especially when it hosted Superbowls. Don't hear as much about them now adays but New Orleans is still seen as a party destination

Austin Charlotte Raleigh rising
In the '90s No One was thinking about these cities, outside their immediate areas Now these cities are hot lol

Old 05-19-2023, 08:26 PM

154 posts, read 96,235 times
I don’t understand the people that are saying Atlanta is fading. Yes, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Nashville give it great competition, but none of those cities match it’s numerical growth year over year nor the economy it has. The Atlanta metro passed Miami in population and is on its way to passing Philadelphia if it hasn’t already. In addition, the GDP is on the verge of passing Philly as well. Atlanta is ascending, not descending. I am a native of Atlanta who currently lives in Charlotte. While Charlotte and Raleigh are ascending too, neither cities are ascending in relevance as Atlanta. Movies, tv shows, music, sports, politics, the power of Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, and other races are on the rise in the area and there is no other city in the southeast, outside of Miami, that can match its diversity. That is why the political universe descended upon Atlanta during to 2020 presidential race and senate race. Just because some other cities in the southeast are rising doesn’t mean that Atlanta is stagnant or fading. And the talk about Dallas being more relevant than Atlanta is heresy. Atlanta is in everything, especially tv, music, and anything related to black people. Atlanta is the number one destination for black people and has been for a while now. Do not take away all of the great things Atlanta has going for it. It is still relevant and is still the most prominent city in the Southeast and that won’t be changing anytime soon. Raleigh has to catchup to Nashville and Nashville has to catchup Charlotte, and Charlotte has to catchup to Miami before they can claim any type of prominence! All are below Atlanta in relevance in my opinion and that won’t be changing anytime soon.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:44 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
But also Full House was famously San Francisco, not Chicago.

Old 05-19-2023, 09:49 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2021 View Post
I don’t understand the people that are saying Atlanta is fading. Yes, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Nashville give it great competition, but none of those cities match it’s numerical growth year over year nor the economy it has. The Atlanta metro passed Miami in population and is on its way to passing Philadelphia if it hasn’t already. In addition, the GDP is on the verge of passing Philly as well. Atlanta is ascending, not descending. I am a native of Atlanta who currently lives in Charlotte. While Charlotte and Raleigh are ascending too, neither cities are ascending in relevance as Atlanta. Movies, tv shows, music, sports, politics, the power of Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, and other races are on the rise in the area and there is no other city in the southeast, outside of Miami, that can match its diversity. That is why the political universe descended upon Atlanta during to 2020 presidential race and senate race. Just because some other cities in the southeast are rising doesn’t mean that Atlanta is stagnant or fading. And the talk about Dallas being more relevant than Atlanta is heresy. Atlanta is in everything, especially tv, music, and anything related to black people. Atlanta is the number one destination for black people and has been for a while now. Do not take away all of the great things Atlanta has going for it. It is still relevant and is still the most prominent city in the Southeast and that won’t be changing anytime soon. Raleigh has to catchup to Nashville and Nashville has to catchup Charlotte, and Charlotte has to catchup to Miami before they can claim any type of prominence! All are below Atlanta in relevance in my opinion and that won’t be changing anytime soon.
Exactly.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:44 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2021 View Post
I think you're misunderstanding what people have said about Atlanta. It is not declining but other cities have had higher rises thus pushing Atlanta's status down slightly. It is not a jab at Atlanta, but more of a compliment to cities like Houston and DFW. There has also definitely been a change in the SE with the other metros gaining clout. Them gaining clout does not mean Atlanta was stagnant but it does mean those cities are now on peoples radar and it shows in several areas.

Also there is more to a city than being a magnet to Blacks. If we want to talk about being a racial magnet, DFW and Houston blow Atlanta away there.

Old 05-19-2023, 11:54 PM

221 posts, read 114,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I’m not sure about a “black metro”, but as a white person, I’ve always viewed Atlanta as a “black city” and most blacks I know for a long time (from the 90’s through early/mid 2000’s) seemed to view Atlanta as one of the premier “black cities.”

Since I’m not from there it’s hard for me to differentiate between “metro” and “city,” but I always think of Atlanta as a black city.
Yeah but of all race groups in the metro; the white one has the slowest growth rate. The reason for the rise in the actual city of Atlanta is due to a lot of things; mainly east side and midtown gentrification combined with black migration to the suburbs. I have to look up if that’s total numbers or percentage relative to other population groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
This seems to be ignoring one of the biggest historic factors in the demographic change of Detroit vs current times with Atlanta..

Redlining and block-busting were the norm during that period for Detroit (and pretty much every city in the US at the time). That is...quite illegal now.

Obviously prejudices that invoke "white flight" still exist; but not nearly to the (intentional) scale as what took place in the mid 20th century.

Yeah, but most places had redlining and block busting but didn’t have a near total abandonment scenario like Detroit.

Last edited by PHILLYUPTOWN; 05-20-2023 at 12:04 AM..

Old 05-20-2023, 12:01 AM

221 posts, read 114,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I think opinions of Atlanta's demographic trends vary greatly among the White population. In general those who are older and less educated (and have more "right wing" viewpoints) are going to perceive how the area has evolved more negatively. The younger population tends to be more accustomed to living in a diverse environment and take for granted seeing Black and other minority people in many different walks of life.

There is certainly no universal consensus that metro Atlanta is an inhospitable place for White people, or any other group for that matter. Most residents would agree that our traffic is drastically worse than race relations, even if the latter dynamic (like America in general) isn't perfect.
I’m not suggesting the area is hostile to whites or that there are any race issues at all. Just asking the question out loud; do young families who would have moved to Atlanta 20 years ago, now chose another place because of a perception that people not from the area would assume due to what they here from both blacks and whites; and if that could be a reason for the white slowdown in overall regional growth. Or if the black and Hispanic populations are growing sooo fast that it makes white growth pail in comparison.

I did an exercise years ago…if you only count the central counties of Atlanta you already have a region that’s equal in black and white population. Only when you add the far out places like Hall and Walton counties do you get the numbers you do.

Old 05-20-2023, 12:58 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Regarding Atlanta: I was born in the early 80’s, so in my lifetime overall Atlanta has grown a lot. In my early lifetime (up through the early 2000’s), it established itself as the clear capital of the South. But within the last decade, as others have mentioned, many other cities (particularly in the south) have grown, so it doesn’t seem as dominant as it once was. So I’m my lifetime, I’d say overall it’s much more relevant, but it’s kinda a roller coaster ride, and the peak isn’t as high as it once was. That can be said about a lot of other cities in my lifetime.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:34 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I think you're misunderstanding what people have said about Atlanta. It is not declining but other cities have had higher rises thus pushing Atlanta's status down slightly.
I think the “pushing Atlanta” back is where I see the issue. In 1990, Atlanta was the 12th largest metro in the country (behind Seattle incidentally). In 2000, it was 11th. Now it will be 7th with next year’s estimates. It was never in that stretch bigger than Houston or Dallas-Ft. Worth.

I think what’s happening is some people are discussing the media perception. Atlanta was likely the fastest large-city grower in the 90s after Phoenix. It was therefore used as everywhere and by everyone as the standard for Sun Belt growth, and the shine of the Olympics and the Braves and Turner was a strong halo effect. Now Florida and Texas are the media’s shiny objects. Not without reason, as those places are definitely leading the growth in a post-pandemic world. But Atlanta’s pop into the mainstream of America’s large cities was a generation ago, and now it’s simply part of the conversation. So on that narrow front I could see an argument that it’s declining. But I think it’s misleading and a mistake to view it through that lens alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City